10 Replies Latest reply on Jun 29, 2011 2:31 AM by Karl_Sigiscar_1971

Flash and UDP

Zolotoj Level 3

Is it possible to receive data via UDP into a Flash application?

Thanks

• 1. Re: Flash and UDP
          Claudiu Ursica Level 4

It is possible in AIR only checkflash.net.DatagramSocket;

Also the new RTMFP protocol is ude based so with flash player 10 and FMS you

could do it.

C

• 2. Re: Flash and UDP
            Zolotoj Level 3

I tried flash.net.DatagramSocket.

I am getting no errors, but the serial interface that that device has is not getting open, another words, Flash command "connect" is not reaching the device.

• 3. Re: Flash and UDP
              masterkrang

you might want to post your code and a few more details so we can see what's going on and can help you out.

• 4. Re: Flash and UDP
                masterkrang Level 1

you might want to post your code and a few more details so we can see what's going on and can help you out.

• 5. Re: Flash and UDP
                  Ric Moore

Did you try sending the policy file when connecting?

Has anyone managed to get this to work yet?

• 6. Re: Flash and UDP
                    srvikram13

Its absolutely, undoubtedly not possible to connect to a UDP socket from within Flash (unless of course you are within the application sandbox of an AIR application).

Outside of AIR, Flash can only connect to TCP/IP sockets that too the ones that are specified in the cross-domain xml. This is true even if the swf domain is same as that of the target socket.

Also, the cross domain xml needs to be served by a socket on the same domain (not necessarily the same port & the target socket).

For Flash Player 10 onwards, this xml should come as plain text response over the socket (basically to avoid any HTTP headers).

Moral of the story: UDP not possible (as of now) if you working on a browser-based application. And, cross-domain policy file needs to be server over a socket & not as an xml file from a webserver (even if) on the target domain.

Hope this helps!

• 7. Re: Flash and UDP
                      Ric Moore Level 1

Surely you can use UDP with Flash 10.2 using NetGroup.post()?

I've done it and I found if you don't send a sequence number with it that packets will often arrive in the wrong order which infers it's not TCP based.

http://help.adobe.com/en_US/FlashPlatform/reference/actionscript/3/flash/net/NetGroup.html

• 8. Re: Flash and UDP
                        srvikram13 Level 1

AFAIK NetGroup class definitely uses RTMFP (that is UDP-based but a different protocol altogether) sockets and is used mainly for P2P communication that too(but I'm not sure about this) using FMS like Claudiu Ursica already mentioned.

As per what I understand- for a Flash application based on Client-Server Architecture & runnning outside of the AIR application sandbox, connecting to a UDP socket is not possible..like I said- "as of now" but you never know!

• 9. Re: Flash and UDP
                          GHETTOKON

Hi Ric Moore

Can you explain more on "sending the policy file when connecting"? I used the UDP example from the Adobe site but it doesn't seem to listen to the port until I use other port listen program. I thought it was some kind of security issue.

Thanks!

• 10. Re: Flash and UDP
                            Karl_Sigiscar_1971 Level 3

Adobe Director and the Shockwave Player have Flash Player embedded and Director can use the UDP protocol...

I don't know if that would do in your case though.