2 Replies Latest reply on Oct 18, 2010 3:23 PM by Devtron

GraphiteGraphical theme

GeorgeWS Level 1

Im using FB4 and am using the graphiteGraphical theme. All works great except when I use the mx:AdvancedDataGrid. The theme makes it white and grey. I have an item renderer in the ADG and that goes with the theme and shows up #333333 like the theme. Is this a bug in the theme? Any ideas of how to make the ADG part of the theme? The DataGrid works fine in another application.

Thanks

George

• 1. Re: GraphiteGraphical theme
          Devtron Level 3

Stay away from this theme. It is nothing but headaches. We tried to launch an app, into production, and this theme is nothing but nightmares.

The theme looks good at some moments. But if you want your grid to be a little lighter color, or if you want any color at all, anywhere, it is horribly painful to override the styles. Ask Subeesh, he has helped me fix many of my CSS/Styling problems, especially with the TabNavigator control. Subeesh is a legend at fixing this stuff, he even has a Facebook fanpage for this!! Adobe should send him a paycheck, for real.

I can hardly override styling for half of our FLEX UI components. It is very rigid and limiting and very poorly documented. (Is it even documented at all? I sure havent seen ANYTHING regarding theme documentation).

I made the bad bad bad horrible horrible decision and mistake of using this theme in our app and we are paying the huge price of removing it and re-skinning everything ourselves to look similar (something we have not even started yet).

Using the GraphiteGraphical theme has created probably double the amount of work necessary just to make our UI even look usable. It makes me cringe just thinking about it now.

• 2. Re: GraphiteGraphical theme
            Devtron Level 3

We have successfully removed this theme from our application. It was not easy and I do not recommend anyone going through that pain.

Luckily, everything is now written in CSS and is a lot easier to work with. I can now perform many coding fixes without having roadblocks due to a theme. Things are actually working the way they are intended and are not requiring hacks left and right.

We now use the default Spark theme (which i like to call NAKED) and we apply CSS accordingly. everything looks great and no longer looks dark and gloomy like Doom 3.