22 Replies Latest reply on Oct 13, 2010 5:47 PM by Steve Grisetti

Relative Location of Words after Rendering

ShaneCRoach

I was using the animation tool to drop words from the foreground to the background in time to a drumbeat.  I noticed when I rendered it that the words lost video quality as they receded, so I decided I would cut the video level short after the animation and then have a basic statiory word in its place.  I find that no matter how I try to manipulate the words, they do not show up in the same place after rendering.

This is Premiere Elements 9.

Thoughts?

• 1. Re: Relative Location of Words after Rendering
          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

First, re-open the title (by double-clicking on it), select the text block and then Remove the animation. Simply trimming the title may not do it.

If that doesn't work go to the Timeline drop-down and select Delete Rendered Files.

Then re-render by pressing the Enter key.

• 2. Re: Relative Location of Words after Rendering
            ShaneCRoach Level 1

I knew this was going to be difficult, as I am new and not using correct terminology I think.  I did not use preset text animation.  I used keyframes.  So I keyframed location and size to create an effect as if the word was rushing from the observer to the screen and then stuck.  Only thing was, when it stuck, it had lost some video quality.  So I was going to cut that video track the instant the "animation" keyframing was done and replace with with a nice, newly minted and properly sized version of the same word.  I placed the word higher in the timeline list of tracks so that it lapped over the original, and placed it directly in the same location.

Sadly, when it rendered it was nowhere near the same location in terms of left to right, although it was in the corect location in terms of top to bottom.

Hopefully that helps some...?

• 3. Re: Relative Location of Words after Rendering

I think you're making more work for yourself than you need to, Shane.

There is no reason that keyframing a motion path for a title should affect its quality.

Have you rendered the clip yet by pressing the Enter key?

• 4. Re: Relative Location of Words after Rendering

Of, if the reason the quality is degrading is because you've scaled your clip to over 100% its size -- trying starting with a larger title.

• 5. Re: Relative Location of Words after Rendering
                  ShaneCRoach Level 1

Have I rendered it by pressing the enter key?  I rendered it (saved) under the share tab.  What exactly are you talking about?

Just for the literal meaning, I pressed enter and saw it "render" something in the editing view, but when I then rendered it to media (saved) it again lost quality.

• 6. Re: Relative Location of Words after Rendering
                    Ed.Macke Level 3

Could he start with a large title and shrink it, then reverse the video? I forget if Titles support reversing...

If he was, for example, starting with a 12 pt. font and enlarging it 400%, that might look blurry. But starting with a 48 pt. font and reducing it 400% would look better, no?

Just thinking....

• 7. Re: Relative Location of Words after Rendering
                      ShaneCRoach Level 1

I did just the opposite.  I probably did reduce it by more than 75%... Whatever the magic is about multiples of 4... Anyhow its glow and shading were altered and the edges got more pixelated.

It might be a good idea at this point to ask how people go about sharing what they have on screen to make this whole process a little easier.

• 8. Re: Relative Location of Words after Rendering
                        Ed.Macke Level 3

It used to be easier because you could attach screen shots to your forum messages, but Adobe apparently has removed that functionality (security, dontcha know?)

If you open your clip properties (select clip, right mouse click, select Properties - at least in version 7), what are your keyframing attributes (e.g. Motion starts at 100%, reduced to 25%....)

• 9. Re: Relative Location of Words after Rendering
                          ShaneCRoach Level 1

Looks like 100 down to 28.9.

This part is less interesting to me though than how to place the words so that they are in the same location on the preview screen as they are when rendered.  I would have thought that was automatic, and it really threw me for a loop.

• 10. Re: Relative Location of Words after Rendering
                            Ed.Macke Level 3

Hmm. Dunno, then. Maybe try reducing it to a multiple, like 25%?

For position, same thing.. look at the keyframing properties for position. If both Titles start out at the same size, in the same position, and have the same ending keyframe size/position, they should end up at the same size and position.

Another option that Hunt has recommended before would be to create the Title in Photoshop (or similar) and save it as a PSD (or JPG). Then keyframe that instead of PrE's built-in Titler.

1 person found this helpful
                            • 11. Re: Relative Location of Words after Rendering
                              ShaneCRoach Level 1

I'll check both of those. Still is odd that the preview would not look like the output though.

Update, position did not help at all.  I suspect because the effect is achieved by moving the whole frame.  I'd need some way of knowing where to locate the final word... ooooooh.  Hmm.  Maybe I should locate the final word in the center and then move the whole frame....  lemme check that.

• 12. Re: Relative Location of Words after Rendering
                                ShaneCRoach Level 1

Okay,

Centering and relocating the whole frame for the non-animated version of the word works to make sure the word lands on top of the other word and retains its maximum video quality, but oddly the output is still not the same as the preview.  Specifically, the words are spaced WAY wider apart in the final render than they are in the preview.

So the core question, how to make the word locations in the preview match what you see after rendering, is still fundamentally unanswered, though the video looks tons better now, thanks.

If anyone can weigh in further though, I really need to be able to edit and count on what I am doing in the preview looking like what comes out after saving.  I have to go for today, but thanks for the help so far.  Made real progress.

• 13. Re: Relative Location of Words after Rendering

I'm confused now, Shane.

When you create a title or add keyframing, a red line will appear above the clip on the timeline. This indicates a need to render the timeline.

To render the timeline, press Enter. The red line will turn green and, when you play your timeline, your video will look more like it will on its final output.

In other words, never judge the quality of an un-rendered video. Press Enter and render the timeline before you play back any keyframed video.

That said, can you post a short clip of your title sequence some place so that we can see how it looks? At this point, we're all just guessing what you're seeing and what you should do about it.

• 14. Re: Relative Location of Words after Rendering
                                    ShaneCRoach Level 1

See if this works

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1UomqpEOiQ0

Video quality issues are because I am using freeware screen capture.  Not to worry about that.  What I am talking about is the final location of the words in the preview screen vs when I play back the final render.

See how much farther apart they are spaced?  Or perhaps it is that the words are smaller in the final render?  Something is off.  I don't know why rendering it would change things like that.

• 15. Re: Relative Location of Words after Rendering

I think I'm kind of seeing it.

Can you output a WMV or an MOV of this sequence and post that to YouTube instead? It should work much better than the screen cap software.

• 16. Re: Relative Location of Words after Rendering
                                        ShaneCRoach Level 1

I can't output anything from inside Premiere.  I have to screen capture it somehow.  It doesn't have a self recorder that I am aware of?

Theoretically I could splice the actual render to the end of the screen capture of Premiere, but what good will that do?  To me the words are obviously much wider apart even in the video I already have.  The part I am asking about is there in that sequence.  Why do the letters space wider once rendered?  No Clue?

I also just discovered I have Premiere Elements 8, not 9.  I bought it two months ago and just assumed I had the most recent version.  Don't know if that makes any difference or not, but I certainly would have posted into the correct forum if I had known!  Sorry about that.

• 17. Re: Relative Location of Words after Rendering

If you go to the Share tab, select Personal Computer, then WMV, you can output a Windows Media Video of your movie. You can then post that for us to see!

• 18. Re: Relative Location of Words after Rendering
                                            ShaneCRoach Level 1

Oh Oh, in other words save it again in different format.  Let's see if that works.

I'm such a noob.

Here -

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xDR3nTRBL1E

That's the original unedited.  I tried saving it in WMV but it did not help.  It's a little longer and spammier, but you get the jist.

Here's a more obvious example.  Logo went right off the screen when rendered.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xLB4-P6o45M

• 19. Re: Relative Location of Words after Rendering
                                              ShaneCRoach Level 1

I finally broke down and called support.  This has something to do with the format of the original video vs. the format you do your final render in.  I have yet to get a full explanation out of Adobe for it.  It's not even working when I go back to settings that used to work.

I will note we had an update from Adobe in the last few days.  I think they broke something.

• 20. Re: Relative Location of Words after Rendering
                                                ShaneCRoach Level 1

Aaaaand, after further research, I do not think it IS to do with formatting.  I got a still image to locate correctly by somehow getting to it in a manner that I can resize it and reform it in any shape I want.  Once in that edit mode, it seems to go where it is supposed to go.

Problem now is I cannot seem to re-create how I got to that mode......  :-/

???

The mode where you can drag the edges to make it wider and taller or shorter and narrower? Without all those qualities being tied together?

Anyone?

• 21. Re: Relative Location of Words after Rendering
                                                  ShaneCRoach Level 1

Ugh.

So there are three separate issues going on here.

1. One is that if I use the escape key when placing text or an image, it allows me to size, shape, and place that image precisely where I want it to be on the preview screen.  If I do not use that form of editing, it will place it differently in the preview as compared to where it places it upon rendering to a file.
                                                  2. Also, when I apply effects to an entire frame to move that frame, that  frame does not move relative to other frames in the timeline.  So it  looks as if it is placed one place in the preview, but when rendered to a  file, it is placed somewhere else.
                                                  3. Finally, when you shrink an entire frame, it messes with the format of  the things in that frame causing them to lose video quality.
                                                  • 22. Re: Relative Location of Words after Rendering

I'm sorry, Shane. I'm just really not seeing what's going on or I'm not getting your description or something.

If you send me a private message, maybe we can set up a time when we can chat on Skype or something.

I'm sure this is a simple problem with a simple fix. And I'm sure we can probably work through it much more efficiently that Adobe tech support, if I can be so bold.

But it's up to you.