1 Reply Latest reply on Oct 13, 2010 3:26 AM by Ankit_Jain

redirect from today's "Unable to open documents in Reader 9.4..."

thelakers

Dear Ankit Jain,

I started a new thread at the suggestion of the other thread's author.

I took your advice (pasted below)... downloaded & installed Microsoft's SubinACL tool. When I got to step 4.i. of your suggestion, I got stuck.  The command line said, "The system cannot find the path specified."  Maybe i typed it incorrectly.  I typed: cd /d "%ProgramFiles%\Windows Resource Kits\Tools" and not the (hit enter) part.

Any suggestions appreciated!

Hi,

Well seems now you are stuck with 2 different problems at once..

To tackle the first problem i.e. your PDFs not opening on double click. Can you right click on any PDF and click on the "Open With... > Choose Default Program"  option. (Incase, the option doesnt appear in the context menu, try  holding "Shift" and then right clicking the PDF file). In the dialog box  that appears, click "Browse" and locate the AcroRd32.exe at "C:\Program Files (x86)\Adobe\Reader 9.0\Reader\AcroRd32.exe". Make sure that "Always use the selected program to open this kind of file" checkbox is checked. Click OK to close all windows.

Now  try executing the instructions in the previous post, the .PDF extension  will be visible to you in the "Associate a file type or or protocol  with a program" dialog box.

As far as the second problem  goes, i.e. your installation failing cause of error 1406, Can you please  try out the below mentioned steps:

1. Download Microsoft's SubinACL tool from http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=e8ba3e56-d8fe -4a91-93cf-ed6985e3927b&displaylang=en

2. Install the same by double clicking on the "subinacl.msi" just downloaded.

3. Open Command Prompt window through the Run Dialog Box (Start -> Run and type "cmd" and click OK)

4. In the Command Prompt window, type in the following commands:

i. cd /d "%ProgramFiles%\Windows Resource Kits\Tools" (Hit Enter)

ii. subinacl  /subkeyreg  HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\\Software\Classes\CLSID\{98D9A6F1-4696-4B5E-A2E8-36B3F9C1E12C}\LocalSe rver32 /grant=administrators=f /grant=SYSTEM=f /grant=USERS=f  /grant="Creator Owner"=f (Hit Enter)

iii. subinacl  /subkeyreg  HKEY_CURRENT_USER\\Software\Classes\CLSID\{98D9A6F1-4696-4B5E-A2E8-36B3F9C1E12C}\LocalSe rver32 /grant=administrators=f /grant=SYSTEM=f /grant=USERS=f  /grant="Creator Owner"=f (Hit Enter)

• 1. Re: redirect from today's "Unable to open documents in Reader 9.4..."
          Ankit_Jain Adobe Employee

Hi,

Are you using a 64 bit machine? If so, then the command will change slightly to:

4. In the Command Prompt window, type in the following commands:

i. cd /d "%ProgramFiles (x86)%\Windows Resource Kits\Tools" (Hit Enter)

ii. subinacl  /subkeyreg  HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Classes\CLSID\{98D9A6F1-4696-4B5E-A2E8-36B3F9C1E12C}\LocalServer32 /grant=administrators=f /grant=SYSTEM=f /grant=USERS=f  /grant="Creator Owner"=f (Hit Enter)

iii. subinacl  /subkeyreg  HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Classes\CLSID\{98D9A6F1-4696-4B5E-A2E8-36B3F9C1E12C}\LocalServer32 /grant=administrators=f /grant=SYSTEM=f /grant=USERS=f  /grant="Creator Owner"=f (Hit Enter)

iv. subinacl  /subkeyreg  HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Wow6432Node\Classes\CLSID\{98D9A6F1-4696-4B5E-A2E8-36B3F9C1E12C}\LocalServer32 /grant=administrators=f /grant=SYSTEM=f /grant=USERS=f  /grant="Creator Owner"=f (Hit Enter)

v. subinacl  /subkeyreg  HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Wow6432Node\Classes\CLSID\{98D9A6F1-4696-4B5E-A2E8-36B3F9C1E12C}\LocalServer32 /grant=administrators=f /grant=SYSTEM=f /grant=USERS=f  /grant="Creator Owner"=f (Hit Enter)

In case it doesnt find any of the above mentioned registries, ignore the same and carry on to the next registry key.

Hope this works.

Ankit