2 Replies Latest reply on Oct 13, 2010 1:14 AM by Media Andy

CS5 Production Premium and iMac i3

Media Andy

Would this spec iMac work well with After Effects and Premiere in CS5 (as well as the other stuff e.g...photoshop, illustrator, encore etc..)

I can't really afford to get a higher spec model..

3.06GHz Intel Core i3 Processor.

4GB (two 2GB) memory.

500GB 7200rpm Serial ATA hard drive.

Built-in 21.5-inch (viewable) LED-backlit glossy widescreen TFT active-matrix liquid crystal display with IPS technology.

1920-by-1080 resolution.

8x double-layer SuperDrive.

ATI Radeon HD 4670 with 256MB Graphics.

Bluetooth 2.1 + EDR. AirPort Extreme 802.11n Wi-Fi wireless networking.

iSight camera.

Mac OS X v10.6 Snow Leopard and iLife

Any comments would be really useful as I am looking at buying tomorrow..

Many thanks....Andy

• 1. Re: CS5 Production Premium and iMac i3
          Andrew Yoole MVP & Adobe Community Professional

It's not a powerhouse, but should be more than capable of general After Effects use.  For those of us who were using After Effects ten years ago on machines with 10 percent of that power, it still looks like luxury in comparison!

More RAM never goes astray, but you can add that later if money is too tight now.  Don't buy the RAM from Apple, they are way too expensive.  Buy from a reputable RAM reseller and fit it yourself.

• 2. Re: CS5 Production Premium and iMac i3
            Media Andy Level 1

Thanks Andrew,

I've got a 2006 Intel Core Duo iMac which I thought was 64bit and was disappointed when I didn't have the option to install after effects and premiere pro on it.

So now, sooner than I thought, I have had to sort out getting a better machine that can run these applications.

Yes with the RAM I will get more in the future. The i3 iMac is upgradable up to 16GB. Does this make a big difference? The price comparison between Apple and other companies is massive.

Main programs I will be using is Photoshop, Illustrator, After Effects and Premiere Pro (but not on a professional level).

Many thanks for your comment

Andy