3 Replies Latest reply on Oct 21, 2010 2:07 AM by VDOSurfer

Premiere Elements 9.0 doesn't work

Scottsimon21

I have just bought a Sony VPCF12Z1E laptop so I can edit HD video and write to Blueray disc. I have a Sony HVR-A1E professional grade video camera. The laptop recognises the camera and downloads in HD and I can play it that all works.

I just bought Premiere Elements and Elements 9.0 as a combined package so I could edit video and photos. As others have reported I get an error message saying my driver is not compatible and lists it as NVIDIA Geforce GT330M/PCI/SSE2 3.0 NVIDIA 189.25. If I ignore the message I find I can play the video previously downloaded but it jerks through the play and is un-watchable. If I try to open it in project to edit it appears as a white screen and I can only hear the sound playing. If I try and import into the program it does not recognize my camera connected through i-Link, it only seems to have compact consumer type cameras.

I have tried to delete the BadDrivers.txt file, I am using Windows 7.0 which I am not familiar with but the path given doesn't seem to work for me I can't even find Documents and Settings as a starting point. Having searched for the file and deleted it nothing has improved. I short the program is totally useless for me on a brand new top of the range laptop.

I would imagine that I am entitled to my money back as clearly the program is not fit for purpose.

I bought it directly for Adobe in disc form.

Any help on this would be greatly appreciated as I am tearing my hair out.

• 1. Re: Premiere Elements 9.0 doesn't work
          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

Yes, you can most likely get your money back. But you're going to have to contact Adobe. Not post to a user-to-user forum.

You can reach Adobe by clicking the Contact button at the top of this web page.

I've no idea why your system isn't handling Premiere Elements. VAIOs do have their unique challenges.

You appear to be working with standard HDV. If you're setting your project up with the proper HDV PAL project preset, you should get excellent results on a properly updated and tuned computer. Did you set up your project for HDV PAL and then use Premiere Elements to capture your video over a FireWire cable?

But assuming you're just looking to trade the program in rather than struggle with it -- why not consider Premiere Pro? After all, you're using a $2,700 professional camcorder. Why try to edit the video on a $100 consumer-friendly editing app?

• 2. Re: Premiere Elements 9.0 doesn't work
            nealeh Level 5

Scottsimon21 wrote:

I have just bought a Sony VPCF12Z1E laptop

By definition that means that most of the drivers on that machine will be out of date, as manufacturers create the master copy of their hard drives months before the product hits the retail market. This is born out by the nvidia driver 189.25 - that must be nearly a year old. This will undoubtedly apply to all the other aspects of the PC. So your first steps should be to follow these basics:

• Install all Windows Updates.
            • Install latest version of Apple QuickTime (v7.6.8 at time of writing). Even if you don't use QuickTime, PRE relies heavily on it.

• Install most recent graphics and sound drivers from the manufacturers* web sites.
            • Run Disk Cleanup.
            • Run Defragmenter.
            • Temporarily disable any anti-virus realtime scanning.
            • Use the GSpot Codec Information Utility to analyse the file and post screen image.
            • Post back here with the necessary information described here: Got a Problem? How to Get Started

* Sony are one of the worst retailers for tweaking the drivers on their laptops so you may want to try the latest updates from their own site before going with the generic version from nvidia (v258.96 WHQL).

Cheers,
            --
            Neale
            Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your children

• 3. Re: Premiere Elements 9.0 doesn't work
              VDOSurfer Level 3

Have you tried updating the display driver? It does not "seem" up-to-date. there are higher versions available. If higher does not work, try a lower version. These kind of issues just go away with just a driver version change. Try and let us know.

Just to let you know, a version that worked for one user is 186.47.. Try this.