19 Replies Latest reply on Oct 15, 2010 8:12 AM by David Zeno

Oct 2010 - What are the options for Cuda supported cards ?

David Zeno Level 1

Hi everyone,

I was just on the Adobe website, and although they say they update their list of CUDA supported video cards, I haven't seen any change

in many months.

at this point in time ( Oct 2010 ) what is the least expensive option available for Premiere's CUDA's options enabled ?

Thanks everyone !

Dave.

• 1. Re: Oct 2010 - What are the options for Cuda supported cards ?
          ECBowen Most Valuable Participant

The 470GTX is the cheapest approved card that is still in production.

Eric

ADK

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Oct 2010 - What are the options for Cuda supported cards ?
            Harm Millaard Level 7

GTX 470 if you want an officially supported card. If you want to use the 'hack', there are a lot more options, like the GTX 460.

See the MPE Gains chart on results page of PPBM5 Benchmark for a list of all cards that have been using the hack or are supported.

1 person found this helpful
            • 3. Re: Oct 2010 - What are the options for Cuda supported cards ?
              David Zeno Level 1

Hi gentlemen,

thank you for the information, very much appreciated.  Thank Harm for the link, I have to admit I don't fully understand the table,

I was looking at the speed chart ( MPE gain chart ) , looking at the 470 speeds.

If I were to put money out on this card, what is the safest bet in terms of company that produces it ? I see that MSI makes one,

so does ASUS, EVGA, PNY, etc.

Is there a difference between these companies ? and does this model exist from Nvidia itself ? or do they just produce the chip and other

makers take over from there and sell it as their own ?

I'm guessing if I buy this video card, I'm guaranteed that the Mercury playback effects will indeed work within Premiere for me ?

Thanks for your patience,

Dave.

• 4. Re: Oct 2010 - What are the options for Cuda supported cards ?
                Harm Millaard Level 7

Dave,

Historically nVidia only made the Quadro cards, both the GPU and the PCB. These were sold as Quadro cards by nVidia and to a limited extent under the brand name PNY, but still manufactured by nVidia.

All other video cards were manufactured by third parties that got the GPU from nVidia and the basic specs were dictated by nVidia. That is the reason that nearly all third party suppliers of GeForce cards, Asus, GigaByte, MSI, PNY, eVGA, Point-of-View, etcetera have nearly identical cards, that differ only in warranty, clock speeds and cooling, but largely these differences are minimal, apart from warranty.

Recently nVidia has decided to enter the GeForce market too, where it used to limit itself to Quadro's, but that has now changed. It is generally considered good for the competition, but only one more name in the long list of manufacturers, so initially its impact will be small.

To select a GeForce video card, IMO it depends on warranty/price. The rest is largely irrelevant. Even clock speed is minor, when tests up to now do not show a definite advantage of more cores or more memory, but that may be caused by the infancy of the MPE support.

• 5. Re: Oct 2010 - What are the options for Cuda supported cards ?
                  David Zeno Level 1

Hi Harm,

thanks very much for the information.  Sounds good.  I'm going to start looking for some pricing this week.

May I ask what video card you are using Harm ? if you don't discuss that, that's ok, but I was just curious.

Very good point you made on the infancy aspect... something I hadn't thought of.

Dave.

• 6. Re: Oct 2010 - What are the options for Cuda supported cards ?
                    Soshman Level 1

I just bought a $4K Machine and went to CS5 Premiere from Vegas 8.0c.

Bought the GTX 480 based on what Harm had said in other posts.

It is incredibly fast!

And with all the GTX 480 cards on top in the test results....i cannot believe Adobe has not approved this card yet.

So Vegas 10 came out and i upgraded for $139.00

Started doing some comparisson test and Adobe is like 3 times faster rendering

Its wild!

I will still use the Sony for a few things but Premiere is growing on me

and its funny how playing with Premiere Elements has help with the transition!

PS Harm you  and your knowledge ...were one of the reasons i switched over..Thanks!

• 7. Re: Oct 2010 - What are the options for Cuda supported cards ?
                      David Zeno Level 1

Hi Soshman,

are you saying the 480 also does all the Mercury effects in Premiere, even though it is NOT on Adobe's certified list ?

Dave.

• 8. Re: Oct 2010 - What are the options for Cuda supported cards ?
                        John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Read about the nVidia Hack

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/629557?tstart=0 - which is a simple entry in a "supported cards" file
                        • 9. Re: Oct 2010 - What are the options for Cuda supported cards ?
                          Harm Millaard Level 7

I have a Point of View GTX 480. In a nutshell:

14-10-2010 6-18-25.png

It used to be a middle-of-the-road system, now it is less than that, around entry level, although tuned a bit.

• 10. Re: Oct 2010 - What are the options for Cuda supported cards ?
                            David Zeno Level 1

Hi John,

Seems that the Adobe list has been updated since May.... I found an old thread of mine, where I posted what Adobe had listed as certified cards,

and at that time ( May 2010 ) the GTX 470 was NOT supported but now is..... so I'm going to assume that they ( Adobe ) will eventually certify the 480.

I also did some checking........... the 480 is about 2x the price of the 470...... ouch.

I'm thinking my pocket book can handle the GTX 470, but am I wasting my money ? , I'm hoping that the 470 is still a very nice card.

Dave.

John T Smith wrote:

Read about the nVidia Hack

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/629557?tstart=0 - which is a simple entry in a "supported cards" file
                            • 11. Re: Oct 2010 - What are the options for Cuda supported cards ?

Overall the 470GTX is the best card for the price versus performance.

Eric

ADK

• 12. Re: Oct 2010 - What are the options for Cuda supported cards ?
                                David Zeno Level 1

Hi Harm,

My system has 8 Gb of ram, and has an Intel Q9450 ( http://ark.intel.com/Product.aspx?id=33923 )

and it's fast, but of course I wish I had a newer Intel i7 chip.

I've read that there is an Intel i9 in the works, - not sure how much of this is just hype, but I tend to believe it.   If your system is "entry level" I feel even

worse about my system now :-(

Very neat program you have there to list that info, I should try that out for fun.

Thanks for the info,

Dave.

p.s. - what are your thoughts on the GTX 470 ? , is it a good choice ?  or should I go for the GTX 480 ? , - will rendering of Mercury effects in Premiere Pro be faster with the GTX 480 vs the GTX 470 ?

Harm Millaard wrote:

I have a Point of View GTX 480. In a nutshell:

14-10-2010 6-18-25.png

It used to be a middle-of-the-road system, now it is less than that, around entry level, although tuned a bit.

• 13. Re: Oct 2010 - What are the options for Cuda supported cards ?
                                  Harm Millaard Level 7

http://www.piriform.com/speccy is a great freeware program, especially for people who have limited expertise in describing their hardware. It gives you a great nutshell overview, and allows for more detailed information if needed. I can advise it for everybody.

The next gen CPU's from Intel are around the corner, the Sandy Bridge and the Westmere-EX. These are expected in 2011 and may bring nice new developments, like octo-core architecture and DDR4 memory. Mind you this is all based on rumors and gossip, there are no hard facts yet, but it will be a sizable step forward from the current 980X, partly because of the new X68 chipset on the next gen mobo's.

If you don't need to upgrade your system in the next three months, it may be wise to await the news about these new CPU's, chipsets and memory architecture. Even if it all looks very attractive from a performance point of view, but hampered by initial high prices, it will at least make the top of the current crop more affordable.

The 470 is the best bang-for-the-buck card at this moment. At the current stage, it is not yet clear that a 480 performs better than a 470, but as MPE support matures, that may change. The specs of the 480 are better, but it does not yet show that in the PPBM5 test.

• 14. Re: Oct 2010 - What are the options for Cuda supported cards ?
                                    David Zeno Level 1

Hi Harm !

thanks for the great info you gave me .

I went out this afternoon and bought the GTX 470, and have now installed it.  Got the computer up and running, installed the drivers

on the CD that came with it, and then opened a project in Premiere, however I don't see any difference.

Well, I don't see the Mercury working at all.  The playback is indeed smoother, ( much smoother ) but the Mercury effects just don't seem to be

working.

How do I turn them "on" ?

Thanks to you or anyone answering.

Dave.

• 15. Re: Oct 2010 - What are the options for Cuda supported cards ?
                                      Harm Millaard Level 7

If you have updated to 5.02, the 470 is automatically supported, so no need for the hack. Check in Project Settings/General that Hardware MPE is turned on.

The MPE impact on performance will be most noticeable when rendering timelines for preview and when encoding where scaling is involved, such as HD to SD. If you tend to use MRQ with software encoding, it will be very noticeable too. If you hardly use MRQ with software rendering, the time gain will be limited, but the quality much better.

• 16. Re: Oct 2010 - What are the options for Cuda supported cards ?
                                        David Zeno Level 1

Hi Harm,

ah that's why.  I just checked and I'm still at 5.0 ok, I'm going to upgrade now, thanks.

Thanks for the info on the rendering, this is what is such a time waster for me, and I am looking forward to some good results.  I'll

post back later.

Dave.

• 17. Re: Oct 2010 - What are the options for Cuda supported cards ?

Never use the video drivers from the CD. They are always out of date. Go here and download this driver:

http://www.nvidia.com/object/win7-winvista-64bit-258.96-whql-driver.html

You definitely want the latest with a 400 series card and the MPE.

Eric

ADK

• 18. Re: Oct 2010 - What are the options for Cuda supported cards ?
                                            David Zeno Level 1

Hi Eric,

thank you for that suggestion, I'll do that tonight.   I'll take note of the version that was on the CD too.

Harm,

Not sure if I can say this, but I just installed version 5.02, and then loaded a project........... all I can say is...... Premiere with

this new video card that enables Mercury effects is almost better than sex !! LOL.  I said "almost" now, let's not forget that :-)

Anyone who works with Premiere, and has been for years,  and has now bought a new CUDA supported video card knows what I'm talking about.

My mouth dropped on the floor..... I loaded up 5 or 6 layers of graphic overlays,  ... Premiere played that footage as it would with no effects,

I could not believe my eyes.

I then realized I had playback set at the best setting ! , that blew me away even more Harm.  I just cannot get my head around how this is going to change my editing life.

A HUGE huge huge shout out to Adobe for doing this.  You know how you can listen to others talking about something for months, and you just nod your head and say "that sounds great" , well you just don't fully appreciate just HOW GREAT it is, until you experience it yourself.

amazing is all I can say Harm !  I thank you for steering me in the correct direction some months ago,  and I'm so happy I finally made the plunge !

Dave.

ECBowen wrote:

Never use the video drivers from the CD. They are always out of date. Go here and download this driver:

http://www.nvidia.com/object/win7-winvista-64bit-258.96-whql-driver.ht ml

Eric

ADK

• 19. Re: Oct 2010 - What are the options for Cuda supported cards ?
                                              David Zeno Level 1

Hi Eric,

I downloaded and installed the new drivers, thank you for the info.  It also installed something for 3D, for viewing 3D movies or something to that effect.

There was a slight increase in the driver progress.

Before the driver update that you linked me to: 8.17.11.9703 ( drivers on the included CD with my GTX-470 )

- After the driver update: 8.17.12.5896

Just curious, what does ADK stand for ?

Thanks for the link.

Dave.

ECBowen wrote:

http://www.nvidia.com/object/win7-winvista-64bit-258.96-whql-driver.ht ml

Eric

ADK