3 Replies Latest reply on Oct 28, 2010 2:30 PM by chris.campbell

Air 2 Native App/Sidecar Installation Error

RevJude

We have a Flex 3.5/Air 2 application that uses native processes.

I exported my release build to MyApp.air and used ADT to create MyApp.exe.

As a test, I am calling the following function when I click some text on the main UI to be sure I am able to use native process in the extendedDesktop profiled app:

private function openFile():void

{

var testfile:File = new File("C:/procexp.exe");

testfile.openWithDefaultApplication();

}

When I install the app from MyApp.exe this works exactly how it should - procexp.exe runs.  However, we will be distributing this app to clients "in the field" that will not necessarily have an Internet connection needed to upgrade/install Air 2.0.  So, we need to use the bundled runtime installer.

I have downloaded the bundled runtime installer and set it up with our app following the instructions here:

http://help.adobe.com/en_US/air/redist/WS485a42d56cd19641-70d979a8124ef20a34b-8000.html#WS 485a42d56cd19641-70d979a8124ef20a34b-7ffc

Following those instructions, I can install Air 2 with the App if I reference MyApp.air in .airinstall.cfg.  The problem is that native processes are not allowed unless you install from the exe.  So, my test above fails.  When I try to install Air 2 and my App referencing MyApp.exe in the .airinstall.cfg I get the following error:

"The application could not be installed because the installer file is damaged. Try obtaining a new installer file from the application author."

I need to be able to do the sidecar installation with MyApp.exe.  Is this possible, and if so, how do you set this up?