2 Replies Latest reply on Oct 15, 2010 8:16 AM by SandorHop

Order that files are processed when running a batch script

SandorHop

I have a situation where I need to process a series of PDF document that reside within a single directory (Win7 OS). Since I am creating a sequence number the order in which they are processed them is important. In this particular case it is alphabetical. I have not been able to figure out what attribute Acrobat uses to determine what order to process, but it certainly is not name, date modified, date created or size. Does anyone know how Acrobat determines the order of files to be processed or how to control that? Currently my work around is to have the process ask which files I want to process instead of specifying an input directory. Then by selecting the last file first and holding the shift key selecting the first file to process, the documents are processed in the correct order. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

• 1. Re: Order that files are processed when running a batch script
          try67 MVP & Adobe Community Professional

What you can do, although it's a bit of a workaround, is to split your workflow into 2 parts:

In the first you you save all of the file paths into an array using a batch.

The second part is a folder-level script which sorts the array, and then processes all of the items in it.

Of course, then you are limited to what can be done with a script. You can't use this method for OCRing files, for example.

• 2. Re: Order that files are processed when running a batch script
            SandorHop Level 1

Thanks for the suggestion. I have done something similar - basically using ADBC to control the order in which files are processed, but I was hoping to avoid adding a separate step to my script. I figured somewhere in the Acrobat API there would be some logic as to how Acrobat determines the order it chooses when a directory is selected to process... just not sure where.