7 Replies Latest reply on Oct 14, 2010 1:40 PM by nealeh

Backwards Compatibility

joelgiblett

I'm currently using Elements 1.0 on a very old PC.  I have an extensive project that I want to continue on my mac.  Is the project file compatible with the new Elements 9.0 on the mac?

• 1. Re: Backwards Compatibility
          nealeh Level 5

No. From the PRE 'readme' file:

You can open projects from previous versions of Adobe Premiere Elements in Adobe Premiere Elements 9.0. However, after you save the projects in Adobe Premiere Elements 9.0, you cannot edit them in previous versions of Adobe Premiere Elements. Mac version of Adobe Premiere Elements does not support Windows projects and the other way round. Mac version does not support projects from previous versions.

Cheers,
          --
          Neale
          Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your children

• 2. Re: Backwards Compatibility
            A.T. Romano Level 7

joelquiblett

I have a running battle trying to convince people to have an open mind about whether or not you need an integrated set of Photoshop Elements and Premiere Elements (5/3, 6/4, 7/7, 8/8, and 9/9) to get a slideshow transfer perk because the comeback is the Adobe "The Read Me" said you could not do this or that. I know from repeated testing and that of others that the Read Me file misspeaks in that instance. And it has misspoken in this regard for at least the last two versions.

Neale presents a statement from the Premiere Elements 9 Read Me which I read as you cannot do what you would like with your Premiere Elements 1 file (PC) in Premiere Elements 9 Mac. On this one, I do not have a Mac nor Premiere Elements 1 to confirm or deny. So, the Read Me may be giving "it is what it is". But, you have the Premiere Elements 1 file (PC), you have the Mac, and you have either purchased Premiere Elements 9 Mac or can get the Premiere Elements 9 Mac trial version. So, why not try it and see for yourself.

Since Premiere Elements 9 is the first with a Mac version, it will be interesting to see your results. It should not be too time consuming to put to rest.

Looking forward to the outcome.

ATR

• 3. Re: Backwards Compatibility
              nealeh Level 5

PSE9 Readme states:

If you install Premiere Elements 9, then the Photoshop Elements slide show  output option for Send to Premiere Elements stops working for older  versions of Photoshop Elements (5 and earlier). 

By inference PSE 6,7,8, & 9 can all send to PRE9.

Cheers,
              --
              Neale

• 4. Re: Backwards Compatibility
                A.T. Romano Level 7

Neale

In your last post, you attributed the following quote to the Premiere Elements 9 Read Me File

"If you install Premiere Elements 9, then the Photoshop Elements slide  show  output option for Send to Premiere Elements stops working for  older  versions of Photoshop Elements (5 and earlier)."

I am still working with the Premiere Elements 9 trial version, and the Read Me file included with that download from Adobe does not include the disclaimer "5 and earlier". It reads, as did the Premiere Elements 8 Read Me under Known Issues/Photoshop Elements Integration

"If you install Premiere Elements 9, then the Photoshop Elements slide show output option for Send to Premiere Elements stops working for older versions of Photoshop Elements."

Below your quote from the Premiere Elements 9 Read Me, you wrote "By inference PSE 6,7,8, & 9 can all send to PRE9". There is no inference if there is no (5 and earlier) disclaimer tacked on.

Although I have written about this matter repeatedly in these forums, it is worth repeating.

If you create a slideshow in Photoshop Elements 6, 7, 8, or 9 and use the Photoshop Elements Slide Show Editor Output Option Send to Premiere Elements or later named Edit with Premiere Elements, that slideshow will be transferred to Premiere Elements 9 and you will have:

(a) your slideshow on the Timeline (grouped format)

and

(b) your Project Media showing a folder with the components of the slideshow and the file representing the slideshow in group format that had been placed on the Timeline

The important aspect of all this is that, if you right click the slideshow on the Timeline, you have the "Break Apart Elements Organizer Slideshow" command available which will do just that to give you enhancement possibilities for further edits of that slideshow in Premiere Elements 9.

Whether or not there exists, for whatever reason, two different species of Premiere Elements 9 Read Me file, your response further proves my point about not using the Read Me as written in stone. All along my comments have been confined to Photoshop Elements version 6 and later because I do not have Photoshop Elements 5 and Premiere Elements 3.

I am curious about your source of Premiere Elements 9 Read Me.

ATR

• 5. Re: Backwards Compatibility
                  nealeh Level 5

My inference from the ReadMe and your empiric test results are in agreement. It looks like someone at Adobe read one of your repeated notes and took action from it. Well Done!

The ReadMe is in the installation folder created when you run the trial download. In my case this was:

"I:\Users\Neale\Desktop\Adobe Premiere Elements 9\ReadMe\Adobe Premiere Elements 9 Read Me.html"

Cheers,
                  --
                  Neale

• 6. Re: Backwards Compatibility
                    A.T. Romano Level 7

Neale

Thanks for the follow up.

I downloaded the Premiere Elements 9 trial version within 12 hours after its release moment and now have about 7 days left on the free 30 day tryout.

The Premiere Elements 9 Read Me file that came in the downloaded Adobe Premiere Elements 9 Folder for my trial version has two Read Me files, one in English and the other in French, and neither language version includes that "Photoshop Elements 5 or earlier escape clause".  It does seem strange that the same document in your case does include the "Photoshop Elements 5 or earlier escape clause". Wonder what happened and which Read Me version will surface in the purchased version (with serial number) of Premiere Elements 9.

ATR

• 7. Re: Backwards Compatibility
                      nealeh Level 5

I have three ReadMe Folders, one each for PSE9, PRE9, and PRE9 Contents. Each Folder contains the ReadMe in four languages; English, German, French, Japanese. Each file is dated 9th September and time :  PRE9- 07:48,  PRE9 Content-03:18, PSE9-07:06.

Cheers,
                      --
                      Neale