6 Replies Latest reply on Oct 16, 2010 5:32 AM by A.T. Romano

Slow Rendering

Elwoodbluesman

Maybe I am missing something here but isn't 5-6 mins a long time to take to render 227 frames of video?  I have 1 track of HD video and 1 track of an HD title.  The whole clip only lasts 7;16 secs.  PE 9 is also very sluggish when zooming the timeline in and out.  I did not have the sluggish problem in PE 2.

I am running Windows 7 64-Bit, i7 980X 6 core CPU @3.33, 12 GB RAM, ATI Radeon 5850 GPU.  I have 3 Hard drives configured as 1.OS/Applications, 2.Media/File Storage, and 3. PE 9 Project Files.

I have turned off indexing.  I am not real clear about the "Page File" setting?  I have already  seen this  excellent post on Hard Drive setup (Thanks Harm), which has been very helpful!  Any thoughts would be much appreciated.  Thanks!

http://http://forums.adobe.com/thread/427772

• 1. Re: Slow Rendering
          A.T. Romano Level 7

Elwoodbluesman

Just some thoughts.

What is the source and format of the media that you are putting on the Timeline? In Premiere Elements 9, if it is AVCHD or DV AVI (both now native formats) you do not have to render the Timeline until after you edit that video. The red line over the Timeline that you then get is the program telling you that you need to render the Timeline to get the best possible preview of the end product. The rendering time will depends on several factors, namely, computer resources, the number of frame (since the rendering is done per frame), and the nature of the video as well as what effect has been applied to it.In the comparison of performance of Premiere Elements 2 with 9, how fair is the comparison since, if I recall, Premiere Elements 2 did not support HDV or AVCHD whereas Premiere Elements 3 was the first with HDV support and Premiere Elements 7 was the first with HDV and AVCHD support.

You give impressive computer specs, but you must remember that Premiere Elements 9 is still a 32 bit application running in the 32 bit compatibility mode of a 64 bit system and as such has the limitations of 32 bit (max supported installed RAM 4 GB of which typically 3 or less GB are available). However, with Premiere Elements (a 32 bit application) running in a 64 bit system, you should be getting the 4 GB of virtual address space (related to virtual memory not RAM Physical Memory). It is my understanding that Premiere Elements does have the header to support that 4 GB virtual address space perk. It is Premiere Pro CS5 that is a 64 bit application which will be able to take advantage of the resources of the 64 bit system.

So I would first look to the format of what you are generalizing as HD video and take a look at the available RAM while you are running Premiere Elements in your computer environment. By format I mean video codec (compression) as well as the wrapper being used to wrap the video codec. And, just a general note about "having to render the Timeline". Think about the latter as your window of opportunity to catch a problem sooner than later. The action is a preview "thing". You do not "have to" render the Timeline. You could take your chances and move on in the program, but..., for effects, transitions, titles, non DV AVI content, edited DVI, and edit AVCHD, it is often very worthwhile.

ATR

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Slow Rendering
            sholmlund Level 1

ATR,

Thanks for the reminder that PrE 9 is a 32-bit app. That helps as I can consider where to go next.

I was going to rectify the "your machine's too wimpy - what do you expect?" problem that I have and would have run into the "the software can't yet take advantage of your hardware - what do you expect?" problem.

Steve

• 3. Re: Slow Rendering
              Elwoodbluesman Level 1

ATR,  Thanks for your reply.   I understand that I don't HAVE to render, but the video is so fragmented I can't get a feel for the timing of the effect.  This is imperative as I am syncing the video to music - I understand if I don't apply anything to the AVCHD files I don't have to render it.

At this point, regardless of wether I have PE open and running.  my 'System' page of my computer says 12 GB - 8 usable.  I understand what codecs are, but not sure what you mean by "wrapper"?

• 4. Re: Slow Rendering
                A.T. Romano Level 7

Elwoodbluesman

Premiere Elements (any version) is a 32 bit application and, even in a 64 bit system with more than 4 GB RAM installed, it runs in the 32 bit compatibility mode which supports max 4 GB RAM installed and typically has ONLY 3 GB or less of that installed RAM available. That is a major reason why many of the users had Premiere Elements 9 as a 64 bit application on the top of their wish list. But, it was not to be this time around, however the Mac people did get a version of Premiere Elements for the first time.

As for wrapper (often called container) formats that wrap the compression. Typically the wrapper is reflected in the file extension of the file. In the case of DV AVI. That DV is the compression and AVI is the wrapper. I came across the following online link which probably tells that story better than I.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Container_format_%28digital%29

I am not suggesting it as a workaround right now, but have you done any mini test runs to determine if file conversion prior to import into Premiere Elements 9 would expedite matters? You have said that you are working with AVCHD (video codec MPEG4 AVC/H.264). What is the file extension on that file, .mts, .m2t, .m2ts, .mov, or .mp4?

ATR

1 person found this helpful
                • 5. Re: Slow Rendering
                  Elwoodbluesman Level 1

ATR, The files that I'm working with say .MTS  The tip about conversion sounds interesting, but I don't want to suffer any image quality.  I think the best argument at this point for the slow down is that I can only get 4 GB of RAM, even though I have 12 GB installed-(32 bit app vs 64bit PC).

• 6. Re: Slow Rendering
                    A.T. Romano Level 7

Elwoodbluesman

I understand your considerations, but the following might speed things up and give you good results as well.

If I recall correctly that you have AVCHD (MPEG4 AVC/H.264) 1920 x 1080 16:9 Square Pixels with a .mts file extension, you might try a mini test run at conversion from AVCHD 1920 x 1080 16:9 to MPEG2 HD 1920 x 1080 16:9 with the free Koyote Soft HD Converter (I think it is up to version 1.7)

http://www.koyotesoft.com/indexEn.html

That conversion is one of those typically mentioned in this regard and it is free and the quality result is supposed to be very good.

ATR