37 Replies Latest reply on Mar 27, 2009 1:20 AM by crook1718

Fireworks CS3 Crash on Start-up

simonlilly
      Hi all,

I am trialling Fireworks with a view to buying the Web Standard package, but Fireworks will no longer start up.

My environment is Windows XP Pro (fully updated), 2GB Ram, Intel Core 2 Duo Processor

Everytime I try to start Fireworks it produces an error - The application Fireworks has unexpectedly quit. It then generates a crash report and is sent to Adobe.

I have updated Fireworks using the Adobe Update Tool and this makes no difference, I have also tried installing Fireworks using the selective Start-Up method outlined in the Support Knowledge Base.
        • 1. Fireworks CS3 Crash on Start-up
          vdub3
          Same here - any solutions yet??? Every other CS3 Web premium app works fine.
          • 2. Re: Fireworks CS3 Crash on Start-up
            ckpro1
            Same Problem here with the Web Premium, OS X Fireworks CS3 quits on startup.
            • 3. Re: Fireworks CS3 Crash on Start-up
              Level 7
              simonlilly wrote:
              > Hi all,
              >
              > I am trialling Fireworks with a view to buying the Web Standard package, but
              > Fireworks will no longer start up.
              >
              > My environment is Windows XP Pro (fully updated), 2GB Ram, Intel Core 2 Duo
              > Processor

Try deleting your preferences. Fireworks will recreate the automatically.

Delete this folder and try starting Fireworks:

C:\Documents and Settings\<your user name>\Application
              Data\Adobe\Fireworks CS3

If it doesn't work, post back.

HTH!

--
              Stéphane Bergeron
              reach : connect : communicate
              http://www.webfocusdesign.com
              blog : tutorials : articles : gallery
              http://www.pixelyzed.com
              • 4. Re: Fireworks CS3 Crash on Start-up
                vdub3 Level 1
                Tried that. Still fails same error
                "The application Fireworks has unexpectedly quit. It then generates a crash report and is sent to Adobe."
                • 5. Re: Fireworks CS3 Crash on Start-up
                  Level 7
                  vdub3 wrote:
                  > Tried that. Still fails same error
                  > "The application Fireworks has unexpectedly quit. It then generates a crash report and is sent to Adobe."

Ok... What OS are you running? What kind of computer (hardware specs)?
                  Do you have any kind of font managing software (Suitcase, FontExpert,
                  etc) that can check for corrupted fonts?

--
                  Stéphane Bergeron
                  • 6. Re: Fireworks CS3 Crash on Start-up
                    vdub3 Level 1
                    Windows XP SP2. So - no font issues. Intel Core 2 Duo Processor 2 GB Ram plenty of disk space
                    • 7. Re: Fireworks CS3 Crash on Start-up
                      Level 7
                      vdub3 wrote:
                      > Windows XP SP2. So - no font issues.

Actually, fonts can get corrupted on Windows machine too so it may still
                      be a font issue. You didn't tell me if you have font management software
                      installed on your machine. Suitcase 11 comes with FontDoctor for
                      example. If you don't have font management software you should really
                      consider getting one, especially if you have a lot of fonts.

The following article list a few free (and not free) font management
                      programs. You could check them out and see if they offer any font repair
                      capabilities. Even if they don't you should remove every font but the
                      base set installed with Windows from your font folder and let a font
                      management software handle them. That way you have better chances of
                      finding what font may be corrupted. Fireworks is definitely very
                      sensitive to font issues on both Mac and Windows.

http://www.digital-web.com/articles/better_font_management/

HTH!

--
                      Stéphane Bergeron
                      • 8. Re: Fireworks CS3 Crash on Start-up
                        Androo
                        Hi.

Same problem here. Same specs as "NewsGroup User." My Fireworks 8 works fine. My Fireworks CS3 does the "the application fireworks has unexpectedly quit" thing even after a reinstall. I have not tried an uninstall/reinstall, nor do I want to uninstall FW 8 just yet. Any additional help appreciated. I really don't see font corruption being the cause, but who knows.

Andy
                        • 9. Re: Fireworks CS3 Crash on Start-up
                          vdub3 Level 1
                          No font mgmt pgms are installed on the PCs. Our Macs have both font dr and suitcase fusion and they do have font issues regularly. I have never seen a corrupt font problem on a PC.

Anyway - there seem to be more and more people having this same issue. I have all the latest patches from Adobe installed as well.

• 10. Re: Fireworks CS3 Crash on Start-up
                            Level 7
                            vdub3 wrote:
                            > No font mgmt pgms are installed on the PCs. Our Macs have both font dr and
                            > suitcase fusion and they do have font issues regularly. I have never seen a
                            > corrupt font problem on a PC.
                            >
                            > Anyway - there seem to be more and more people having this same issue. I
                            > have all the latest patches from Adobe installed as well.

I've had font issues on my previous PC (which is my backup now) so I was
                            speaking from experience. I have no idea if there are free font checking
                            utilities out there but in any case, if you have even a moderate amount
                            of fonts (about 300 and up), investing in font management software is
                            pretty much a must since it will permit you to leave a minimal number of
                            core system fonts install and activate and deactivate others on an as
                            needed basis. This will improve your systems but especially Fireworks'
                            performance.

It really is the best way to deal with fonts and makes it easier to spot
                            font corruption if that is an issue.

In any case, I would suggest you at least run scandisk on your system
                            drive (c:) and maybe run some Ram diagnostic software like MemTest86 on
                            your machine. At one point with my previous computer, I was having
                            constant application and system crashing problems that started small and
                            got worse over time and I finally tracked them down to bad Ram.
                            Everything went back to normal after replacing the faulty Ram stick.

If your disk and Ram are OK and you can't or won't check for font
                            corruption on your machine then I suggest you contact Adobe support
                            directly. This is a peer to peer forum here and we're all just users
                            sharing ideas based on personal experience. Adobe's support staff will
                            probably get you through more detailed troubleshooting steps to try and
                            isolate your exact problem. Call them.

--
                            Stéphane Bergeron
                            • 11. Re: Fireworks CS3 Crash on Start-up
                              vdub3 Level 1
                              I will have to contact Adobe. Everything in your email had already been done on the machine before posting here (except the font check, which I did after your last suggestion and there were no corruptions). Thanks for your suggestions.
                              • 12. Re: Fireworks CS3 Crash on Start-up
                                Costello13
                                I'm having the same issue. If you learn anything from Adobe, please let us know. Thanks!
                                • 13. Re: Fireworks CS3 Crash on Start-up
                                  Level 7
                                  Costello13 wrote:
                                  > I'm having the same issue. If you learn anything from Adobe, please
                                  > let us know. Thanks!

Why don't you contact them? You may have the same symptoms but the cause
                                  may be different on your machine. Have you at least tried some of the
                                  ideas provided in this thread?

--
                                  Stéphane Bergeron
                                  • 14. Re: Fireworks CS3 Crash on Start-up
                                    Costello13 Level 1
                                    Yes, thanks. That's why I wrote. I've tried everything listed in the post (including the fonts) but have had no luck. My company does have an Adobe contact and we're working with him to try and get something worked out but that hasn't happened yet.

I just thought that if "vdub3" learned anything helpful, perhaps that could be shared.
                                    • 15. Re: Fireworks CS3 Crash on Start-up
                                      Level 7
                                      Costello13 wrote:
                                      > I just thought that if "vdub3" learned anything helpful, perhaps that could be
                                      > shared.

Of course! I was merely making the point that such problems are often
                                      specific to users' machines and that Adobe would be in a better position
                                      to troubleshoot them than other users like us.

--
                                      Stéphane Bergeron
                                      • 16. Re: Fireworks CS3 Crash on Start-up
                                        Yntrinzix
                                        Hi,

I found one known Solution For Windows XP I created a new Administrator Account (Sometimes work with normal account) and it launches normally

In Friend's Macintosh Computer, we solved this issue by verify and repair disk permission

So I'm thinking, could this be a permission problem with Windows?
                                        • 17. Re: Fireworks CS3 Crash on Start-up
                                          davisj@uwgb.edu
                                          Has anyone received a response from Adobe with a solution to Fireworks crashing on start up? I just installed the CS3 Master Collection (actual purchased copy - not a trial download) on my laptop running Vista. All the programs except Fireworks start. I have not tried creating a new user account yet as I thought I would post here and see if anyone knows of some setting or something that needs to be changed. My purchase was for academic users and does not include support so I won't get anywhere calling Adobe.
                                          • 18. Re: Fireworks CS3 Crash on Start-up
                                            TFD_Martines
                                            Does anybody already have a solution for the Fireworks CS3 crash on loading? I am experiencing the same problem and it does work when switching user account. Any idea ?
                                            Thanks for sharing. -TFD-
                                            • 19. Re: Fireworks CS3 Crash on Start-up
                                              Level 7
                                              TFD Martines wrote:
                                              > Does anybody already have a solution for the Fireworks CS3 crash on loading? I am experiencing the same problem and it does work when switching user account. Any idea ?
                                              > Thanks for sharing. -TFD-

Fireworks should be installed by the system administrator. Once you've
                                              done that, you can assign other users accounts.

--
                                              Linda Rathgeber [PVII] *Adobe Community Expert-Fireworks*
                                              --------------------------------------------------------------
                                              http://www.projectseven.com
                                              Fireworks Newsgroup: news://forums.projectseven.com/fireworks/
                                              CSS Newsgroup: news://forums.projectseven.com/css/
                                              http://www.adobe.com/communities/experts/
                                              --------------------------------------------------------------
                                              • 20. Re: Fireworks CS3 Crash on Start-up
                                                e-retina
                                                quote:

Originally posted by: Newsgroup User
                                                TFD Martines wrote:
                                                > Does anybody already have a solution for the Fireworks CS3 crash on loading? I am experiencing the same problem and it does work when switching user account. Any idea ?
                                                > Thanks for sharing. -TFD-

Fireworks should be installed by the system administrator. Once you've
                                                done that, you can assign other users accounts.

So do you mean that I should install the CS3 suite with the actual 'Administrator' user account? or just an account that is a member of the administrator 'group'?

So far I have re-installed FW 3 times which takes hours with the suite installer. I have even created a new user with administrator priviledges logged in and run FW fine. Then I copied over my user profile from the account I have been using for years to the new account. When I first ran FW after doing this it started, now it back to crashing when I try to start it. And when I say crash the error window appears almost immediately.

This has to be some bug in FW since every other application in the CS3 suite will start!

I have now wasted hours searching online, re-installing and trying so-called solutions and I am very angry and frustrated because I like to use FW but I might just have to say FI and use Photoshop instead - which is probably the Adobe preferred solution anyway!

Peter (frustrated) Gallagher
                                                • 21. Fireworks CS3 Crash on Start-up
                                                  nedsbeds
                                                  I have also been having this problem.
                                                  Fireworks worked after I installed it, but a few days later stopped working. Logging in with another user made it work.

I have spent 10 minutes going through the registry and have found the problem in my case.

One of the sites in here....
                                                  HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Adobe\Common\9\Sites

was obviously corrupted or invalid, because removing it allowed fireworks to load up again!

If there is someone from Adobe that would like to see the registry information I removed so they can bug check it then I have saved the offending site entry, or if anyone knows where I can send it, since this seems to be a fairly common problem.

I hope this information helps someone.

Nick Downton
                                                  • 22. Re: Fireworks CS3 Crash on Start-up
                                                    Nadim.LB
                                                    Hello People,

A have the same problem someday, if i start the software fireworks cs3 the crash after when he load the data in the cache. Okay now i have a solution get by a friend.

This solution is for Fireworks CS3 on Mac OSX 10.4.11 G5 IMAC.

1. Go to the /User/username/Library/Application Support/Adobe/ an drag the Fireworks Folder on your Desktop !

2. Then start the software again, and see there its´s run, now you can delete the folder on your desktop because Fireworks write the user information new.

My Friend tell me that are a Adobe typciall Data Management Problem, i dont know it is this problem really, but it works.

I hope i helps somebody which love this software and wish only that is runnig.

So guy´s have a nice week and enjoy the live with fire work s , Nadim.LB Germany

Sorry for the bad english !

PS. consequential loss contingency insurance, please make backup of your data before you delete it !
                                                    • 23. Fireworks CS3 Crash on Start-up
                                                      e-retina Level 1
                                                      A Huge thanks to nedsbeds for finding out that his issue was the DW sites registry. I tried the same thing and Fireworks launched properly. The down side is that I have 26 sites defined in DW so I spent another half hour importing the sites back into DW. After each site was imported I tried to start Fireworks until I found the site definition that was causing Fireworks to crash.

Cause: When I upgraded to CS3 Web Suite I exported my Deamweaver 8 sites and then imported them in Dreamweaver CS3. Obviously for me Fireworks CS3 didn't like one of my site definitions. I would never have made a connection between Firworks and Dreamweaver sites except for NedsBeds previous post.

Problem (read bug): Fireworks will unexpectedly quit if Dreamweaver has a site definition that it doesn't like. In my case the site in question used a dot in the site URL ( http://site.local/).

Solution (read work-around): For me I needed to change the site url in the Dreamweaver site definition so it didn't have a dot in the URL ( http://local_site/).

Steps to solve without having to re-create all your sites in Dreamweaver:
                                                      1. Export all your sites from the Deamweaver site manager.
                                                      2. Start Fireworks and see if launches normally. If it doesn't this isn't a solution to your specific problem. If it does continue with the next steps.
                                                      3. Import your sites into the site manager one at a time, starting (then quitting) Fireworks after each import.
                                                      4. When you find that the site you just imported causes Fireworks to crash delete it and continue with the next site.
                                                      5. After importing all your sites and verifying that Fireworks will run re-create the site(s) that cause Fireworks to crash.

This has been plaging me for months and I have spent countless hours tring to get Fireworks CS3 to run. Now thanks to nedsbeds pointing me in the right direction I am finally happy with my purchase again!

I hope this helps some other people in this topic that have been frustrated by this bug.
                                                      • 24. Re: Fireworks CS3 Crash on Start-up
                                                        heathrowe Most Valuable Participant
                                                        hey nedsbeds here's a form you can fill out for the bug request/workaround
                                                        http://www.adobe.com/cfusion/mmform/index.cfm?name=wishform

h
                                                        • 25. Re: Fireworks CS3 Crash on Start-up
                                                          nedsbeds Level 1
                                                          Glad it worked for you e-retina :)

I have sent a bug report to adobe but couldn't fit the registry entry in. Hopefully they will email back and ask for it.

My site didn't have a dot in the name so there is possibly something else that fireworks doesn't like

Nick
                                                          • 26. Re: Fireworks CS3 Crash on Start-up
                                                            Costello13 Level 1
                                                            I've had a similar problem....for those of us less-experienced with editing our registry's...is it ok to delete the site folders in the "Sites" directory? Then, is it a matter of setting up each site in Dreamweaver and checking Fireworks after you finish each one? Sorry if I'm not being clear but I've not messed much with my registry.

Thank you.
                                                            • 27. Fireworks CS3 Crash on Start-up
                                                              nedsbeds Level 1
                                                              All I did was altered the registry name of each site entry one by one until I found the one that was causing the problem.

so change -Site0 to -Site00 or something like that. It will stop fireworks looking at it when loading and if that site is the one causing the problem fireworks will start up correctly. If that isn't the broken entry then fireworks will not load. Just set that one back to the original name and move on to the next one.

Once you find the problem site you can just delete that single registry folder and remake it in dreamweaver.

Nick

EDIT: oh and make sure you have backed up the registry before hand! If something does then go wrong you can just reimport it.
                                                              • 28. Re: Fireworks CS3 Crash on Start-up
                                                                Costello13 Level 1
                                                                I'll try this. Thanks for the quick response. I appreciate it.
                                                                • 29. Re: Fireworks CS3 Crash on Start-up
                                                                  shapal
                                                                  Nesbed's (did I get the nickname right?) suggestion to change the file name in the registry from Site0 to Site00 worked like a charm. And it only took about 90 seconds! Thanks so much!
                                                                  • 30. Re: Fireworks CS3 Crash on Start-up
                                                                    FNXCorp.
                                                                    Wow thanks to all, i finally made my fireworks run, i changed de registry entries it's name was like -Site0 i just removed te - and everything wokrs
                                                                    • 31. Re: Fireworks CS3 Crash on Start-up
                                                                      mikFuz6
                                                                      Try this. I called tech Support and it worked for me. GOOD LUCK.

Start menu - Run

Enter ‘resedit’ and hit ENTER

Locate HKEY_CURRENT_USER/Software/Adobe/ (I put this in a slash format but what you’ll be seeing are drop downs.

Locate and Rename the Fireworks folder to ‘Fireworks_old’.

Then in the Adobe folder locate Common/9/Sites and rename it to ‘Sites_old’

Once this is done try starting Fireworks, it should start up again.
                                                                      • 32. Re: Fireworks CS3 Crash on Start-up
                                                                        mcgraphix
                                                                        In my case, I had installed Dreamweaver CS3 but had never actually run it. So in the registry, the Common folder didn't exist. What I did was went into Dreamweaver 8 and "removed" all the site definitions. Then launched Dreamweaver CS3. After that Fireworks launched fine. It is a bit disturbing that it was this difficult to find the answer to this problem
                                                                        • 33. Fireworks CS3 Crash on Start-up
                                                                          joe2300
                                                                          I'm having the same issue

affordable seo services
                                                                          • 34. Re: Fireworks CS3 Crash on Start-up
                                                                            I had this problem and spend hours uninstalling and reinstalling, cleaning registry files the whole bit. Then saw the post about the localhost site def in dreamweaver...which I had just defined a couple of days ago.

Thats what it was. Glad it was a simple fix, but it is frustrating none the less
                                                                            • 35. Re: Fireworks CS3 Crash on Start-up
                                                                              RPryse
                                                                              quote:

Originally posted by: mikFuz6
                                                                              Try this. I called tech Support and it worked for me. GOOD LUCK.

Start menu - Run

Enter ‘resedit’ and hit ENTER

Locate HKEY_CURRENT_USER/Software/Adobe/ (I put this in a slash format but what you’ll be seeing are drop downs.

Locate and Rename the Fireworks folder to ‘Fireworks_old’.

Then in the Adobe folder locate Common/9/Sites and rename it to ‘Sites_old’

Once this is done try starting Fireworks, it should start up again.

I tried this and it works. There's a typo here, though. You're wanting to edit the Registries, so 'regedit' is what you want to enter in the Run box (no quote marks).
                                                                              • 36. Re: Fireworks CS3 Crash on Start-up
                                                                                danaclaire
                                                                                I too had the same problem of Fireworks CS3 crashing at launch. I removed and reinstalled and got the same error. My WIndows XP has SP3 and all updates. I read about the possible bad registry entry and thought I'd give that fix a try. I first EXPORTed the registry so that I could restore it if necessary. In the SITES area, there were 7 sites and I deleted them all, leaving only the SITES SUMMARY. I then relaunched Fireworks AND IT WORKS.

Thanks for the tip. I hope this helps others.

Rick & Dana in El Paso
                                                                                • 37. Re: Fireworks CS3 Crash on Start-up
                                                                                  crook1718
                                                                                  this regestry edit work like a charm thank you