4 Replies Latest reply on Oct 14, 2010 6:30 AM by Hudechrome

ACR and Stitching From RAW Files

Hudechrome Level 2

I see something peculiar happening on recent stitches.

I have say, three frames to stitch from RAW. One frames a little overexposed, so I open in ACR, drop the exposure to compensate and save. Then I open all three frames in Photoshop>Merge as RAW files. When the adjusted frame shows up, the adjustment is ignored.

I can fix this by opening the other two and do a very slight change to them, save, then all three show up as expected, the bright one matching the other two close enough to get a uniform stitch.

Now I am doing this as a quick test of the stitch, to see if I really am interested, and if so, I go back and open all three in ACR and make the corrections. After doing all three, I can uncouple the bright one and tweak its exposure, then save and stitch, no problem.

Is this normal?

• 1. Re: ACR and Stitching From RAW Files
          Jeff Schewe Level 5

Hudechrome wrote:

I have say, three frames to stitch from RAW. One frames a little overexposed, so I open in ACR, drop the exposure to compensate and save. Then I open all three frames in Photoshop>Merge as RAW files. When the adjusted frame shows up, the adjustment is ignored.

Then you are doing something wrong...exactly how are you opening the raw images?

Are you opening the raw images as a group in ACR and opening in Photoshop and then doing the merge? Are you selecting the images after making the raw adjustments in Bridge and selecting Photomerge under the Tools menu?

This is not at all what I experience (and I've been doing a lot of panos of late).

• 2. Re: ACR and Stitching From RAW Files
            Hudechrome Level 2

I am selecting the images after making the raw adjustments in Bridge and selecting Photomerge under the Tools.

I haven't experienced this either until now. The difference is that Iwould always select the images and open in ACR first, and run the corrections synchronized. Occasionally, one would be off enough to require special tweaking so after the synch corrections, I would select it, correct it then click Done. Getting a bit lazy, especially with many panos waiting, I do a quick test and in this case, only one of the three needed tweaking. Running Merge as above ignored the tweak.

Try it yourself. Pick some images to merge that have not been through RAW, and tweak one only in ACR. Click Done then Photomerge from Bridge under Tools.

I've done this twice now, after exiting Bridge and Photoshop first.

Make that three times

Message was edited by: Hudechrome

• 3. Re: ACR and Stitching From RAW Files
              Yammer Level 4

The way I usually do it is to open a group of files in ACR, do my edits, synchronising where necessary, then, with all files selected, click "Open Files" to load all of them into Photoshop. Then I do the Photomerge from the Ps menu, selecting Use Open Files (or whatever it's called).

• 4. Re: ACR and Stitching From RAW Files
                Hudechrome Level 2

Always more than one way in PS!. I have used that path but the Bridge path is more efficient for my needs.

In any case, I am reporting a sighting on this computer, maybe leading to a bug report.

I just ran it again with a fresh boot of the computer.  The problem persists.