System Device Profile ?

shooternz Level 6

Which System Device Profile do you use?

Windows 7> Color Mangement> Advanced

Forgive me : I intend to post this in AEFX Forum as well

• 1. Re: System Device Profile ?
          shooternz Level 6

<bump>

Doesnt anybody actually know what the Windows 7 Color Device Profile they are using is.?

Thought the guys that recommend "using a callibrated monitor" might know something about this!

• 2. Re: System Device Profile ?
            jimclark1947 Level 1

I keep my monitors calibrated with Spider2Pro, which creates a custom profile that is loaded automatically with

every restart.  Not sure that helps or answers your queston, but it's what I do.

• 3. Re: System Device Profile ?
              shooternz Level 6

Thank you Jim

Not sure if it helps much apart from knowing how you set up your system.

.....but I guess I am trying to understand which of the myriad of choices (outside of the Win default) works best in a system exclusively used with Adobe graphic and image applications.

My Monitors match (97-99%) ... so thats not the issue.

Matching the monitors to the workspace of PPro , AEFX, PS etc  could possibly be optimise by the correct choice of 'System Device Profile'  - if I knew what it was.

Kind of hoping Todd has a handle on it.

• 4. Re: System Device Profile ?
                Jim_Simon Level 8

Thought the guys that recommend "using a callibrated monitor" might know something about this!

We actually recommend a calibrated external monitor.

• 5. Re: System Device Profile ?
                  shooternz Level 6

I understand that... but how is your desktop ("canvases") calibrated to the Adobe apps ...or how is your external monitor calibrated to your Adobe apps?

If a designer sent you a file from say... Photo Shop and you open it...do you keep the color profiles or do you discard them or...?

How does your files compare to the broadcast standards or web standards or print standards etc.

There are many many System Device Profiles in Win 7.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows_Color_System

• 7. Re: System Device Profile ?
                    Jim_Simon Level 8

I understand that... but how is your desktop ("canvases") calibrated to the Adobe apps ...or how is your external monitor calibrated to your Adobe apps?

They aren't.  I don't use the internal monitors for CC work.  The external is calibrated using the Spears & Munsil calibration Blu-ray.

How does your files compare to the broadcast standards or web standards or print standards etc.

Couldn't tell you.  As of yet, none of my work has been broadcast, so that is something I haven't had to worry about.  I don't do print work, and the web has no color standards for video as far I know.

• 8. Re: System Device Profile ?
                      Todd_Kopriva Level 8

I have the default sRGB profile set on the computers that I do my usual work on. I only have one color-profiled monitor (and that one's at home). I profiled it using a Spyder that I borrowed from work. That gave me a custome device profile for that monitor, and now that is the profile set for that computer. After Effects and Photoshop can use that custom profile when converting colors from my compositions/documents to RGB values to show on my screen. Premiere Pro isn't color managed, so Premiere Pro doesn't use that.

Is that what you were asking?

• 9. Re: System Device Profile ?
                        shooternz Level 6

Thanx Todd.

That was pretty much what I was asking.

I simply had no idea , until you answered...which of the many device Profiles others were using.  (No one else was willing to tell me)

I wanted to confirm that I was using a suitable standard or if I should have changed it to a more suited one for the CS5 apps..

BTW: very excited to have on order an HP DreamColor Monitor (LP2480zx).  I am sure you know about them.

• 10. Re: System Device Profile ?
                          Todd_Kopriva Level 8

> very excited to have on order an HP DreamColor Monitor (LP2480zx).  I am sure you know about them.

Nice. One of the guys down the hall from me has one of those.

• 11. Re: System Device Profile ?
                            shooternz Level 6

You deserve one as well.