10 Replies Latest reply on Oct 14, 2010 2:02 PM by ioudas

is there a better way to do this?

ioudas

hi,

I'm creating an tutorial animation and I took the manual approach way because I think recorded screens tutorial usually look clumsy.

I'm moving the cursor around and to avoid sharp turns I always bend its path a little and apply east.

My problem is that I want the cursor to move over an object, stop for few seconds and then continue to another object.

I create the motion tween, bend the path, create a keyframe then create another keyframe few seconds later where the cursor should start moving again.

However when I create a keyframe there is some strange behaviour, which is best described by video:

http://ioudas.net/flash_example/flash_example.html

So I'm forced to split motion, create blank keyframe and copy the cursor into the final position with ctr+shift+v.

Here:

http://www.adobe.com/devnet/flash/articles/motion_migration_guide.html

I read that you should never need to use F6 in CS4 tweens. So what is the "proper" way of pausing motion for a while without stopping the playhead?

Thanks,

Peter

• 1. Re: is there a better way to do this?
          kglad Adobe Community Professional & MVP

to stop make a timeline tweened object stop moving in the middle of a motion tween:

1.  add a keyframe where you want the object to stop

2.  insert keyframes (the number will determine the length of the pause) after the above

3.  you can clear all the keyframes strictly between the one created in 1 and the last keyframe.

• 2. Re: is there a better way to do this?
            ioudas Level 1

Thanks for the answer.

Unfortunately this doesn't change much. The problem is that creating keyframe in the middle of the span WHEN THE MOTION PATH IS BENT alters the motion path BEFORE the keyframe at the stop position.

It wierd and I think it has to do with the fact that banding the motion path converts it to bezier curve and adds achnor at the final position, creating another keyframe adds another achnor point...which creates an artifact on the path.

But I'm far from expert on flash so this may be complete crap.

See the video to see what I mean.

• 3. Re: is there a better way to do this?

you'll need to add the same keyframes in your guide-layer, too.

• 4. Re: is there a better way to do this?
                ioudas Level 1

I don't have a guide layer, this is CS4.

Am I missing something?

• 5. Re: is there a better way to do this?

one of us is.

what's this mean, "WHEN THE MOTION PATH IS BENT"?

• 6. Re: is there a better way to do this?
                    jendehaan Level 4

I think Kglad is talking about classic tweens, and you're using new motion. Splitting the animation and copy/pasting your object is one way to do it.

So for new motion, you'll can use the motion editor or a custom ease for this particular workflow (due to the curve - which adds some additional complexities to the interpolation). I typically use a custom ease since it's pretty easy to do for something like this and doesn't "harm" your on-stage curve.

Custom ease:

1. Add keyframes where you want the animation to pause and restart.

2. Right-click and choose linear right on the first, and linear left on the second.

3. Apply it to the position properties.

(And you might want to tweak the ease a bit after that to get exactly what you want).

In the motion editor, X and Y properties:

1)  Go to the spot where you want the animation to stop, and insert a keyframe (yellow diamond, or context menu)

2) Go to the spot where you want the animation to continue.

3) Choose linear left and linear right to make the curve flat.

Note - this is probably not going to give you the nice curve that you want however since you're adjusting the curve of spatial properties, so an ease or split/copy/paste is really the way to go in this situation.

• 7. Re: is there a better way to do this?
                      ioudas Level 1

thanks a lot, thats exactly what I wanted to hear. The stuff with custom ease is completely new to me, although a lot of flash functions are new to me at the moment...

i have problem with the second technique though, the linear left/right is greyed out on the position properties keyframes (only enabled for ease).

http://ioudas.net/linearlr.png

it seems like a  very useful feature, so i'd really like to try it out, any idea what could disable it?

• 8. Re: is there a better way to do this?
                        jendehaan Level 4

Forgot to add one more option. If you decide you want this before you create the tween, you can create the tween as a linear (non-curved) path first with the pause (on the span drag the first movement, then insert a position keyframe at the end of the pause before dragging to the end position of the tween).

Then drag the center keyframe to the middle of where you want the curve (so it looks like a V), and then bend the two sides on stage. That would enable you to have a nice smooth curve on each side and avoid the motion editor (but you would need to drag/adjust pretty carefully).

Again, I think the custom ease is the easiest/cleanest option.

1 person found this helpful
                        • 9. Re: is there a better way to do this?
                          jendehaan Level 4

(re second message with PNG) Oh yeah... you're not going to like it, but those options are enabled in CS5. The main issue with those options is you're typically not going to modify the curves how people expect (stage vs graph, why they don't have handles like the other properties do). There are a couple of edge cases where you want to make the value unchanging in a way where it doesn't affect the other parts of the curve (a case where you would be getting what you expect), which is why we enabled them in CS5. I'm sure that paragraph is pretty confusing.

You can switch between Linear and Smooth by holding the Alt key in CS4. You could make all the points corner points using the Alt key, and then go to the stage and re-curve the motion path - that's probably going to get you much closer to the end result you're looking for anyway.

1 person found this helpful
                          • 10. Re: is there a better way to do this?
                            ioudas Level 1

"I'm sure that paragraph is pretty confusing."

That is an understatement...

anyway, the techniques with sharp motion AND the alt in motion editor are very helpful again!

Thanks a lot.

I'll look into other benefits of CS5 to see if its worth upgrading.