4 Replies Latest reply on Oct 15, 2010 2:10 AM by lomolover

How to output video as still image frames?

lomolover Level 1

Hi there,

We need to convert a movie file which has something like 375 frames into 60 still image files. How could we go about doing this using After Effects?

We have a lot of movie files to convert, is there a way to batch process this so that we can have it processing over the weekend?

I'd really appreciate anyone's help!

Thanks!

Abi

• 2. Re: How to output video as still image frames?
          lomolover Level 1

That link is helpful.

So if I wanted to render a batch process, I simply add all the movie files into the render queue and then specify for each of the files where I want them to be outputted to... And then once the render button is clicked it will do all of the items in the queue?

For example, for one composition I have 'Best Settings' selected for 'Render Settings' and then for the 'Output Module' I have it set as 'Based on "Lossless" '...

The 'Output Module' settings I have as the format 'JPEG Sequence', 'Post-Render Action: None', 'Video Output' is ticked; 'Channels: RGB', 'Depth: Millions of Colors".

I am outputting it to a specific folder.

Are these settings more or less correct for what I want to do?

Apologies for basic questions being asked, I don't want to start the process for it to go wrong when I am not here to oversee it!!!

Thanks!

Abi

• 3. Re: How to output video as still image frames?
            Mylenium Most Valuable Participant

This is far too vague. Yes, as Michael pointed out, AE can spit out a ton of image formats but the math doesn't add up. 375 images turning into 60 and your user name indicating a certain kind of photography style makes me think that it goes way beyond just saving a few images. If so, then you better start reading the AE help and learning the basics first and then you may actually be able to understand how to do that...

Mylenium

• 4. Re: How to output video as still image frames?
              lomolover Level 1

Okay I managed to work it out!

The total length of the video was 15.01 seconds.  I changed the frame rate to 4 fps in the output settings and it resulted in outputting 61 jpeg still images.  Perfect!