2 Replies Latest reply on Oct 14, 2010 3:08 PM by canoli99

Collect Files Question (CS4)

canoli99 Level 1

Hi guys -

I wanted to get your advice on using the Collect Files command before I start working on a project. Is that a common way to use Collect Files or is it only used for archiving?

I've just finished assembling my new Win7 machine and I'd like some advice on how to access my source files. Right now they are all on USB drives, which is a very slow interface. Should I copy them all (~100G) to my new (fast) internal drives - bite the bullet and get it done - or only copy them on a project-by-project basis?

To help me decide I need the answer to two questions:

1) Is USB too slow as a source drive even for .jpgs and small (<10MB) .mov files? Are there any circumstances where leaving assets on a USB drive won't hurt performance in AE (CS4)?

2) Is "Collect Files" useful in the "copy on a project-by-project basis" situation? I would import my source files into a new project, then use Collect Files to copy them all to an internal drive, creating a new project in the process. Or is it better / faster just to use the OS to copy files?

I hoped using Collect Files would be a quick way to get everything onto an internal drive and also have AE create a new project in the process. But in Help it says the following:

"After you collect files, you can continue making changes to a project, but be aware that those changes are stored with the original project and not with the newly collected version."

So to avoid saving changes to the "wrong" project, is it as simple as closing the original project and opening the one AE created when it ran the Collect Files command?

Thank you for any thoughts or advice you'd like to share. I am trying to get more serious about organization and with this new machine I'd like to set it up correctly from the beginning if I can.

Thanks again!

• 1. Re: Collect Files Question (CS4)
          Mylenium Most Valuable Participant

So to avoid saving changes to the "wrong" project, is it as simple as closing the original project and opening the one AE created when it ran the Collect Files command?

Yes, but generally there is little or no reason to use the command in this manner, if you already obey a clean working style, that is create a dedicated folder structure for each project. After all, that is pretty much what the comamnd does - convert all absolute file paths into relative ones and put them into a nice folder. As for the other things - never ever work off external drives unless they are quality Firewire or eSATA RAIDS. There's simply too many things that can go wrong. The drives could lose connection or go into suspend mode, they could overheat and last not least, their fragile nature will make them susceptiple to any kind of mechanical failure, be it due to random tremors damaging the disk or your cat taking a liking to the losely plugged in power chord...

Mylenium

• 2. Re: Collect Files Question (CS4)
            canoli99 Level 1

Thanks for your reply. I'm afraid I didn't make it clear why I was looking at Collect Files in the first place. But reading your answer has helped me decide; transferring 100G of assets shouldn't take more than an hour and I can spare that.

Now - on to the other setup questions... a new thread is probably appropriate so I'll mark this "answered" and thank you again for your reply.