9 Replies Latest reply on Oct 15, 2010 12:39 PM by A.T. Romano

Preview in Pre9 is causing massive load compared to pre7

urpcor

Hi there,

I was using until now pre7. It run quite smoothly with my dualcore 2.5 Ghz intel 4GB Ram.

I have some project under Pre7 which caused never any load problem on my system.

As soon as I have it played in the preview of PRe9 the Procesorload is at 100% both cores. And its consiting of 3 scrappy  Dv video tracks without any fancy Effects.

With PRE7 teh PReview uses up to 40 % Processor load! In both cases the rendering took place in advance.

How is that? That would mean a deterioration of the Preview Core engine of PRe9 compared to pre7.

Or do I miss something?

• 1. Re: Preview in Pre9 is causing massive load compared to pre7
          A.T. Romano Level 7

urpcor

Are you working with the Premiere Elements 9 trial version or a purchased copy (with serial number)?

ATR

• 2. Re: Preview in Pre9 is causing massive load compared to pre7
            urpcor Level 1

Yes I bought the upgrade version with an serial. HAve them both installed Pre7 and pre9

• 3. Re: Preview in Pre9 is causing massive load compared to pre7
              Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

This certainly should not be the case, urpcor. Something is definitely wrong with your installation or configuration -- but it's hard to say what, without knowing more about your system, your project settings, etc.

In my experience, version 9 is only slightly more resource-hungry than version 7 -- and nowhere near as much as version 8! In fact, with AVCHD video, version 9 is actually more efficient thatn version 7.

So something is wrong somewhere. I just don't know what.

• 4. Re: Preview in Pre9 is causing massive load compared to pre7
                A.T. Romano Level 7

urpcor

I am still working with the Premiere Elements 9 trial version, and my major hangup has been with display issues in version 9 which are not seen in prior versions on the same computer. The latest, the "VideoRenderer.dll", was supposed to be confined to the trial version, not the purchased version with serial number. The fix there was replacing that trial version file with a download VideoRenderer.dll from Adobe.

Since you have a purchased copy, you might want to look into the "BadDrivers.txt" matter. Try deleting that from

C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Adobe\Premiere Elements\9.0

and see if that makes any difference in what you are encountering....just a wild stab at this.

With the "BadDrivers.txt" file deleted (does regenerate) and the trial version VideoRenderer.dll replaced, right now all is going well with Premiere Elements 9 in all matters relating to display.

Please let us know the outcome.

Thanks.

ATR

1 person found this helpful
                • 5. Re: Preview in Pre9 is causing massive load compared to pre7
                  VDOSurfer Level 3

Why would a 100% CPU consumption be a problem? I would rather say it is good that all the available resources are utilized, was not being done earlier and has been improved now.. Unless you are not able to use any other application. The way this works is that resources are relinquished when the app is minimized and utilized when they are available (RAM and processor, especially processor) till there are no other apps vying for processor time..

That aside, is there ANY other difference between the project in PRE7 and PRE9? Project preset/clips/timeline/playback quality?

(Playback quality is present in the right-click menu on monitor, new in PRE9)

• 6. Re: Preview in Pre9 is causing massive load compared to pre7
                    urpcor Level 1

Hi there again,

I was using an Pre7 Project file in Pre9.

building up the project from scratch entirely in PRE9 the issue disappeared.

@vdoSurfer its not been only the Processor load, teh Playback was so distorted having dropped frames, having Sound gaps...

The BAdDriver contains just that:

##FALSE#0#0#0

seems ok to me.

So I guess conclusion is: one shall not use the PRe7 Projects in PRe9.

Thanks for all considerations of yours

• 7. Re: Preview in Pre9 is causing massive load compared to pre7
                      Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

That makes sense, urpcor. And it's something I always advise.

Glad the program is up and running as it should! Happy moviemaking!

• 8. Re: Preview in Pre9 is causing massive load compared to pre7
                        A.T. Romano Level 7

urpcor

Thanks for the follow up with the additional information plus results.

My comments in prior post were based on my work where I was working with Premiere Elements 9 projects in Premiere Elements 9.

Although the genralization to complete a Premiere Elements project in its own version has merit (especially in your specific circumstances), I would wonder if the playback issues that you encountered were or were not specific to that particular Premiere Elements 7 project that you were trying to finish off in Premiere Elements 9. (That was the scenario?) As an aside, you do realize that once you edit a project from an earlier version in a later version,  you cannot go back and use that project in the earlier version again?

Out of curiousity, today I will create at Premiere Elements 7 project, save/close it, and then open and try to work with it in Premiere Elements 9. My report will include details of Timeline content involved, etc. I will let you know the results.

We are glad that you are moving forward with your projects.

ATR

• 9. Re: Preview in Pre9 is causing massive load compared to pre7
                          A.T. Romano Level 7

urpcor

Just some follow up. In your recent post, you concluded

"So I guess conclusion is: one shall not use the PRe7 Projects in PRe9".

This morning I did some quick mini tests to see if I see what I would get display wise and otherwise if I created SD and HD projects in Premiere Elements 7.0 and then tried to edit them in Premiere Elements 9. I did not run into any problems doing this. I used about 5 minutes of MPEG4.avi video with its audio and added effects such as Sharpness and Black & White to some some portions of the Timeline. Before saving/closing the Premiere Elements 7.0 project, I rendered the Timeline content. I right clicked the Premiere Elements 7.0 project.prel file in the Adobe Folder/Premere Elements 7, and selected Open With Premiere Elements 9. It did. The video displayed in the Edit Mode Monitor looked good, no distortion. But there was a red line over the Timeline content that needed rendering in order to get a smooth playback. Originally the clarity was there, but not the smoothness in the playback.

Although I think that it is a good idea to start and complete a project in its own version, I believe that it is not written in stone that you cannot edit a Premiere Elements 7 project in a later version, in this case, Premiere Elements 9. It is old news that it cannot be edited in an earlier once you edit it in a later version. In that case, you never make into the workspace and its display. You are greeted with a dialog telling you that the project is damaged or other.

I think that matters such as these need to be dealt with on a case by case basis and the project and Timeline details involved closely looked at. I think this boils down to: Can I use Premiere Elements 7 projects in Premiere Elements 9?...fundamentally YES. Should I use Premiere Elements 7 projects in Premiere Elements 9?....not unless you have a good reason.

ATR

1 person found this helpful