5 Replies Latest reply on Oct 15, 2010 7:14 AM by Ed.Macke

PRE 9: Application Error

dhillis1

I am a High School teacher at the local High School.  One of the classes I teach is Video Production.  I am trying to use premiere elements 9 but keep getting the following errors.  Any help is appreciated.

Premiere Elements.exe - Application Error

The instruction at "0x7c9505a3

" referenced memory at "0x6f900834". The memory could not be "read". Click on OK to terminate the program

I get this error sometimes as soon as I open the program and sometimes it will run for a while before giving me the error.

Premiere is loaded on the local HDD but because of profile restrictions the students in my class are saving the projects to a network drive and are also using the network drive as a scratch disk.  I know this isn't preferred but for now is required.

• 1. Re: PRE 9: Application Error
          dhillis1 Level 1

ok....another computer and another error....same message but now it is

0x2dc44f4e

and

0x7fdc9ce4

• 2. Re: PRE 9: Application Error
            Ed.Macke Level 3
            saving the projects to a network drive and are also using the network drive as a scratch disk.  I know this isn't preferred but for now is required.

Yowza. The project files are relatively small (a few megabytes) so you may get away with a network drive. I can't imagine the program even working with a networked scratch drive - I tried using a 5200 RPM IDE drive instead of SATA drive and it was almost unusable.

Your I.T. department should make rules that work for you, not the other way around. I say this working in I.T., so you can tell them I said so

• 3. Re: PRE 9: Application Error
              dhillis1 Level 1

well i said for now because they are working on a solution.  It is aggrevating trying to use a program that I paid a lot of money for so the kids could use and not be able to use it because you never know when it will crash.

I have quite a list of things they have been working on and I think this was the last request on my list, i think.  They are good to work with and are trying to correct my problems.  I'm just trying to help them.

• 4. Re: PRE 9: Application Error
                nealeh Level 5

Some suggestions:

• Ask one of your IT engineers to come and run the program for you as Administrator. Test to see if the problem is permissions related.
                • While he's there have the scratch disks pointed at the local HDD. Test to see if the problem is network related.
                • Also while he's there have him go through these basics for you:
                  • Install all Windows Updates.

• Install latest version of Apple QuickTime (v7.6.8 at time of writing). Even if you don't use QuickTime, PRE relies heavily on it.

• Install most recent graphics and sound drivers from the manufacturers web sites.
                  • Run Disk Cleanup.
                  • Run Defragmenter.
                  • Temporarily disable any anti-virus realtime scanning. If the engineer baulks at this disconnect the PC from the network until you complete the test. He can re-enable before reconnecting to the network.

Test to see if the problems have gone away. If they haven't then we'll need to know more about your PC, clips and project presets.

Cheers,
                --
                Neale
                Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your children

• 5. Re: PRE 9: Application Error
                  Ed.Macke Level 3
                  They are good to work with and are trying to correct my problems.

That's half the battle then (and refreshing to hear)!

Neale offers some very good suggestions. I don't know how willing I.T. will be to upgrade a single machine - a lot of times I.T. likes to have a standard image to reduce complexity, but it never hurts to ask.

It might help to have an easily reproducible problem, as in "when I do X, the program blows up". That way, it will be easy to tell when the problem is fixed and what the correction was. It's harder to make a change and then "wait a while" to see if it worked.

I would definitely look into putting the scratch drives on a local hard drive. They should have a problem with that, even if it means creating a separate partition just for that purpose.

I can understand your frustration. The bad news is that video editing software is really resource-intensive - if there's a weak spot in your computer's configuration, it will find it! The good news is that this forum has a lot of really smart, helpful, friendly people that can solve a lot of problems.