4 Replies Latest reply on Oct 15, 2010 12:01 PM by AitchMelling

Export format selected in dialog, how?

AitchMelling

I need to process a large number of .indd files that are scattered in a number of folders. I would like to be able to export them into their folder of origin.

The problem that I can't seem to solve is being able to select my export format type from the dropdown in the export dialog.

I haven't started building the script yet, not being convinced that I can make this work. I have a "batch export to pdf" script that I have been able to modify for my needs but it doesn't allow me to pick the export format that I require. The export format appears in the format list of the export dialog via a plug-in installed to enable InDesign to export for PageFlex Templates, which are then passed onto our web developers for further manipulation.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

• 1. Re: Export format selected in dialog, how?
          [Jongware] Most Valuable Participant
          ... it doesn't allow me to pick the export format that I require. The export format appears in the format list of the export dialog via a plug-in ...

Uh-oh.

First thing to check is the ESTK own built-in Help on ExportFormat. This help is "hot" -- if it detects a new, scriptable plugin, this gets scanned, and scriptable properties are automatically added to the Help.

If it's not in there, the plug-in developer probably didn't enable scripting support, and you should contact them with your request.

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Export format selected in dialog, how?
            AitchMelling Level 1

I suspected that the plug-in wasn't directly scriptable and doing as you suggested proved that.

I wondered if I could "force" the issued by scripting "System Events" but I have no idea where to start, I did find a snippet that enables me to open the File menu but I couldn't seem to find a way to get any further.

My feeling is that I am going to have to do it the hard way, all manually.

Thanks again.

• 3. Re: Export format selected in dialog, how?
              [Jongware] Most Valuable Participant

... Looking for something else, my eye fell upon this phrase in the description of "ExportFormat":

... The export format, specified as an enumeration value or as an extension that appears in the Save as type or Format menu in the Export dialog. Can accept: ExportFormat enumerator or String. ...

I didn't try, but something like "myText.exportFile ("..your export format name here") Just Might Work.

1 person found this helpful
              • 4. Re: Export format selected in dialog, how?
                AitchMelling Level 1

Many thanks.

I will just have to learn quickly to create javascripts, I fogot to mention that I am using CS3 on a Mac.

I have been trying to adapt a couple of scripts that I have used in Applescript to Javascript so that I can work remotely via my windows laptop. I guess I will have to do a lot of reading and trial and error.

I may try and get the function to call the export format that I want in Java and see if I can run via Applescript when I get back to work. The procedure I need to "collect" the .indd files I am pretty sure I have a partial script that I may be able to modify to do that part.

I am going to have a crack at it as javascript looks very interesting although initially not as easy to phrase.

Thanks again.