3 Replies Latest reply on Oct 14, 2010 7:49 PM by Ned Murphy

Locking FLA's

Darcy_Wolff22

Hi,

I was wondering if there was a way to lock a .fla file so a user can only edit certain aspects of it?
      Basically I have a client who wants to be able to edit the clicktag on a button in some banners. I dont wan't them to be able to edit any other elements in the design.
      Apart from re-importing a completed banner back into a new banner and adding the clicktag there I cant think of anything else to.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

• 1. Re: Locking FLA's
          Ned Murphy Adobe Community Professional & MVP

I don't believe there is any way to lock out particular sections of a file from being edited based on some type of password.  The only way I can see would be to make things hard to find so that only what they need to edit is readily visible to them.

You mention clicktag (an industry term)... typically a clicktag value is assigned a value in the html embedding code.  The Flash file reads it in as a FlashVar via the embedding code and there is no editing needed for the swf... to change the link you change the embedding code value for it.  The client has no need to edit the Flash file, only the html.

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Locking FLA's
            Darcy_Wolff22 Level 1

Cheers Ned,

to be honest, I'm not quite sure why they would want to change this but its a question they've asked so...

I think its just because different adservers require slightly different formats for the AS (one I use below).

on (release) {
            if (clickTAG.substr(0,5) == "http:") {
            getURL(clickTAG,clickTARGET);
            }
            }

Obviously the html can be pointed wherever is needed via the html. I guess the answer for them is no then.

Cheers

• 3. Re: Locking FLA's
              Ned Murphy Adobe Community Professional & MVP

What you just showed is typical of a clickTAG implementation, though I've not seen the check to make sure it's a web address.  You may not want to tell them no, just that the clickTAG value is defined in the html code, and the swf reads that value in from it.  If they insist they need to edit the fla, then they likely don't know what clickTAG respresents