2 Replies Latest reply on Oct 14, 2010 8:05 PM by Jay Havl

PE v8 and iPhone 4 video - problem with quality

Jay Havl

Hi,

I am a new user of Premiere Element v8. I tried to load and share video from iPhone 4. My problem is that video coming our of PE is significantly lower quality than the original one - even if I do nothing to it, just load it in and share it out.

Can somebody help me to find out what I am doing wrong?

Here is what I did:

- created a new project with setting HDV 720p 30 (which has 1280h 720v, 29.97 frames/second, Square Pixels)

- added one video from iPhone 4 (33 sec)

- shared as iPhone with custom export setting: NTSC, Frame Width 1,280, Frame Height 720, Frame Rate 29.97, Square Pixels, Level 4.0

The resulting file (.mp4) has size 4,748 KB while the original file was much larger 43,727 KB.

Thank you.

• 1. Re: PE v8 and iPhone 4 video - problem with quality
          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

You took a video from an iPhone, ran it through Premiere Elements and then put it back into the iPhone?

I'm not sure what you're trying to accomplish, but you can go to Share/Portable Device/iPhone, click the Advanced button and adjust the quality level higher.

Version 8 really doesn't have a project preset that matches the iPhone's output, so the video is going to be re-rendered and re-encoded between input and output. It's not a "smart render" so what comes out is going to likely be different than what goes in.

A better program for doing this kind of editing is Quicktime Pro, available for $29 from Apple. It's workflow is more closely in line with what you're trying to do.

• 2. Re: PE v8 and iPhone 4 video - problem with quality
            Jay Havl Level 1

Thank you for the prompt help. Per your advice I was able to increase quality by changing setting of Target Bitrate and Maximum Bitrate from 1 to 10.

Now quality looks very similar (and size of the file is similar as well).

I am not putting video back into the iPhone, I am viewing it on HDTV (720p). My goal is to combine several clips together into one movie + edit unwanted parts + add audio. I also have digital camera and have some videos from that device (lower quality than iPhone 4). I bought PE so I can use it for both sources.

Thanks again.