5 Replies Latest reply on Oct 15, 2010 10:49 AM by Steve Grisetti

PreE V8: Clips not displaying in project view

DennyP_AZ

I have a clip in the my timeline/sceneline that is not displaying in Project view. It also does not have the "P" in the bottom corner of the thumbnail in Organizer view. Why isn't the clip considered part of the project?

• 1. Re: PreE V8: Clips not displaying in project view
          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

What type of camcorder is this video from, Denny, and how did you get onto your computer?

When you created your Premiere Elements project, did you set it up to match the specs of this camcorder's footage?

Also, what operating system are you using? Do you have the latest version of Quicktime?

• 2. Re: PreE V8: Clips not displaying in project view
            DennyP_AZ Level 1

My camera is a Canon HF20.

I used the Elements Organizer 8 to import the files.

I have 10 clips used in the sceneline so far. Only 1 of the clips is not displaying in the project view. The other 9 display correctly.

I am using the same specifications that I've been using for other projects and have not encountered this problem.

I recall a Quicktime update being installed a week or two ago.

Capture.JPG

• 3. Re: PreE V8: Clips not displaying in project view

Denny, you're using an HDV project preset for AVCHD footage. HDV is a tape-based format.

(I'm assuming you're shooting in FXP or MXP mode, the only modes on that cam that are true AVCHD.)

Also, have you tried using Premiere Elements Get Media/AVCHD function to download the video from your camcorer to your computer? This allows the program to assimilate the downloaded video.

BTW, it looks like we may be chasing this same issue on two different threads.

Let's limit our discussion to this one thread, though, so we don't get confused trying to have two conversations at once.

I think your two issues are related to same cause -- and that is a mismatch between your video project settings and your source footage.

1 person found this helpful
              • 4. Re: PreE V8: Clips not displaying in project view
                DennyP_AZ Level 1

I have been shooting in XP+ mode and have been for the past year.

I haven't tried using the Premier Elements Get Media function. I usually import both still images from one camera and the video from this camera at the same time into the same Photoshop album and use Organizer. Also there are some training videos and books that tell you to use Organizer.

I tried importing a video file using the Get Media function and was able to use the set in/out points and have them saved correctly.

Then in the project that I am working on I took one of video files that I imported through the Organizer and deleted it from the catalog. Then I imported it using the Get Media function and put it in the album with the other files. Then I used Preview to set in/out points. Those points were saved correctly.

So know I will delete all the remaining video files from the catalog that I haven't yet used in my project and then remote them through Premiere's Get Media.

So it appears that as you thought, I need to use Get Media to import video files. But that is not emphasized in any documentation. I think there should be a warning when importing video files in Organizer saying that if you intend to use Premier Elements to edit them that they should be imported via that product.

Thank you for your assistance.

• 5. Re: PreE V8: Clips not displaying in project view

Glad we found a solution for you, Denny. Happy moviemaking!

1 person found this helpful