8 Replies Latest reply on Oct 15, 2010 4:02 PM by bobbynix

After Effects To Web?

bobbynix

Hey Guys,

What would you suggest to get an After Effects file to the web?

The method I currently use is the obvious ->  AE - XFL - FLASH - SWF.

But the exported swf file seems to slow down the rest of the site.  Any ideas?

File size is 600KB and is a 4 second loop.

Many thanks,

Ryan

• 1. Re: After Effects To Web?
          Mylenium Most Valuable Participant

What specifically is going on in the file? If there is a lot of transformations, naturally you force Flash to redraw every single frame and evaluate a lot of stuff, so it may be slow. Perhaps simply reducing the frame rate to something more web-friendly liek 12fps will suffice. Otherwise you will probably have to manually optimize the file in Flash...

Mylenium

• 2. Re: After Effects To Web?
            bobbynix Level 1

Mylenium, you sir are a scholar and a gentleman.

It worked quite a bit better but now there is a new problem... the video only loads on new versions of flash.  Is there a way to optimize it for older versions?

Cheers and thanks,

Ryan

• 3. Re: After Effects To Web?
              Todd_Kopriva Level 8

Consider that SWF is probably not the best option for most work that comes out of After Effects. Look into F4V and FLV if you're doing any work that needs to be rasterized.

• 4. Re: After Effects To Web?
                bobbynix Level 1

Will do, thanks Todd,

Just to clarify, so are you saying XFL is probably not the best option and that we should redo the file in Flash?

Thanks,

Ryan

• 5. Re: After Effects To Web?
                  Todd_Kopriva Level 8

> Just to clarify, so are you saying XFL is probably not the best option and that we should redo the file in Flash?

I didn't say anything about redoing anything in Flash.

If you have an animation/movie in After Effects, and you just want to get that to the Web, then rendering and exporting to a web-friendly format that can play in Flash Player (i.e., FLV or F4V) is a good idea.

If, however, you need to add interactivity, ActionScript stuff, or whatever else only Flash Professional can do, then going to Flash Professional through XFL is a good idea.

Those are two totally different workflows for two totally different use cases. I thought from your previous message that the former applied to you.

SWF files output from After Effects are not very efficient unless they use a very, very restrictive set of features.

All of these options are laid out in detail in this section of After Effects Help.

• 6. Re: After Effects To Web?
                    bobbynix Level 1

K well thanks for your time Todd,

Any idea on the best way to make a simple 4 second loop flv that can loop on a webpage?

I export the flv from the render que but how do you loop it?

Cheers,

Ryan

• 7. Re: After Effects To Web?
                      Todd_Kopriva Level 8

> how do you loop it

That's not an After Effects question. That's a question about how to play video in Flash Player on a website. I'll leave it to the Flash and web folks to answer that one.

• 8. Re: After Effects To Web?
                        bobbynix Level 1

K thanks anyway Todd, have a good one bud.

Cheers,

Ryan