8 Replies Latest reply on Oct 19, 2010 8:29 AM by Jim_Simon

Not work Cuda Mercury P.E. Premiere CS 5.0.2 + nvidia gtx 470 vs ati 5850

trovac

I have sold my ATI HD 5850, and bought a Nvidia GTX 470 for Cude and Mercury Playback Engine.
      I activated Cude, I configured everything in the nvidia driver and premier CS5, and upgrade to 5.0.2.
      I was not so much interested in Export video, but work and playback and preview.
      I have a panasonic tm700 and work with 60p video.

No significant differences in the speed preview with premiere CS5 + ati asus HD 5850 and MSI gtx 470

I am convinced that everything that should be activated.

What's the problem ?

Thanks for your answers

My Computer:
      intel i7 920
      cool master V8 - CPU cooler
      ASUS P6T Deluxe V2
      MSI GTX 470
      muskin 3x2 1600 7-9-7
      Seagate 1.5 TB x 2
      Corsair 850W ATX power supply 2.2 V
      Monitor 24 full-HD ASUS VH242

• 1. Re: Not work Cuda Mercury P.E. Premiere CS 5.0.2 + nvidia gtx 470 vs ati 5850
          mirekweb Level 1

First of all you must write down which nVidia model you have. Use the GPUsniffer.exe (c:program files\adobe\adobe premiere pro\ cs5gpusniffer.exe) and check your card specs.

Providing you have the latest nVIDIA drivers installed and providing you have CUDA installed this program WILL find your card.

Now find the file cuda_supported_cards.txt (on win7 x64 is on the c:program files\adobe\adobe premiere pro cs5) and add your card’s model name EXACTLY as it was written when GPUsniffer found it.You need to pay attention to captilization. The best way is to CUT and PASTE your cards name from the window that cs5gpusniffer.exe will open when you implement the program.

cuda_supported_cards.txt might be WRITE PROTECTED if so then you just need to change the atrributes using WINDOWS.

Run nVidia control panel and go to 3D settings. Click the Manage 3D settings option and at the Program Settings tab click Add.

Locate Premiere.exe and click it.

Below, at the Multi-Display/Mixed-GPU Acceleration option, click Compatibility Performance Mode and click Apply.

When you now start up PREMIRE and you go into your PROJECT settings you should have the option to use MERCURY HARDWARE ACCELERATION.

Adobe have deliberately limited the range of NVIDIA cards which use MERCURY HARDWARE ACCELERATION to the ones they have thoroughly tested.

Providing your NVIDIA card can use CUDA and providing it has at least 1gb RAM and you have downloaded and install CUDA from nVidia it will let you use Mercury Hardware acceleration providing your card it listed in

cuda_supported_cards.txt

I am managing to run MERCURY HARDWARE ACCELERATION using a 9800gt Nvidia this card has 1gb ram.....if you have less than 1gb on your card then it will not work

Hope this is helpful to you.

It really is not necessary to spend a small fortune on very HIGH END cards to implement MERCURY HARDWARE RENDERING in Premiere but you need to realize you might not have 100% compatibility with ALL filters and effects which Premiere implements this is probably why Adobe have limited the list of cards to those which have been extensively tested

• 2. Re: Not work Cuda Mercury P.E. Premiere CS 5.0.2 + nvidia gtx 470 vs ati 5850
            mirekweb Level 1

FURTHER addition to my earlier reply

IF YOU UPDATE Premiere at any time then it will overwrite

c:program files\adobe\adobe premiere pro cs5\cuda_supported_cards.txt

so will then need to manually edit this file again

please forgive me using \ when it should be a forward slash on the directory path I have keyboard problems

• 3. Re: Not work Cuda Mercury P.E. Premiere CS 5.0.2 + nvidia gtx 470 vs ati 5850
              trovac Level 1

I apologize, it's an error in my post title.
              Subject I should call the HD 5850 vs GTX 470 MERCURY HARDWARE ACCELERATION.
              Everything is set and my MERCURY HARDWARE ACCELERATION activated in the premiere CS5.
              I have a MSI NVIDIA GTX 470 .
              I've tested the ATI Radeon HD 5850 and GTX 470 with 1920x1080 60p video material.
              There is little acceleration, but nothing special, if you are using effects redgiant, NewBlueFX, Trapcode, etc, etc.

I have a panasonic TM700 - 1920x1080 60p
              If  I use video 1280 x 720 24p or 25p or 30p Mercury acceleration is OK,  but for 1920x1080 60p very little acceleration in the preview + redgiant  or Trapcode or NewBlueFX. esc esc esc

In any case, thanks to NVIDIA and Adobe MERCURY HARDWARE ACCELERATION

• 4. Re: Not work Cuda Mercury P.E. Premiere CS 5.0.2 + nvidia gtx 470 vs ati 5850
                Harm Millaard Level 7

What's the problem ?

That is not clear, so to paraphrase you: What's the problem ?

If you mean that there is no significant MPE gain when using third party plug-ins, you are correct. Adobe can only make that happen if the third party supplier gives his complete source code to Adobe and that is something they do not appear to be willing to do.

• 6. Re: Not work Cuda Mercury P.E. Premiere CS 5.0.2 + nvidia gtx 470 vs ati 5850
                  mirekweb Level 1

With ADOBE CS5 a lot depends on how much RAM you have in your system. Adobe say that 8gb ram is the minimum to run Premiere smoothly...

Where you should see great advantage is in ENCODING video...think of it this way..you have maybe a DUAL CORE or QUAD CORE processor on your motherboard BUT your Nvidia graphics card has several HUNDRED CORES...what CUDA software enables you to do is use the processing power on your graphics card for not just processing graphics but other areas of processing as well.

I don't know what you mean when you talk about ACCELERATION the key thing is that you should be able to view your timeline content without rendering it and when you try to ENCODE your final work that encoding should be very very much faster.

....if you can afford to buy more RAM this is another real KEY to getting a video editing system that runs fast and smooth. Now Premiere is 64bit we should all begin to see fantastic improvements. I live in Finland but I still buy hardware from England you can buy 4gb RAM modules from a company called EBUYER.COM for just over £60 the more RAM you can cram into your motherboard the better..... If you want to spend your time gaming and blowing up spaceships then play with ATI cards but when it comes to serious computer use nVidia is way ahead ...they are ahead because they write intelligent software which can properly utilize the hardware that they design..

To go for nVidia is simply COMMONSENSE..... if you have a graphics board with several hundred cores on it and you can write software which can fully utilize these cores then you are going to have a machine which is F A S T. ATI software drivers are years behind in terms of serious developement.

Date: Tue, 19 Oct 2010 04:34:10 -0600

To: mirekmarjut@hotmail.com..

Subject: Not work Cuda Mercury P.E. Premiere CS 5.0.2 + nvidia gtx 470 vs ati 5850

I apologize, it's an error in my post title.

Subject I should call the HD 5850 vs GTX 470 MERCURY HARDWARE ACCELERATION.

Everything is set and my MERCURY HARDWARE ACCELERATION activated in the premiere CS5.

I have a MSI NVIDIA GTX 470th

I've tested the ATI Radeon HD 5850 and GTX 470 with 1920x1080 60p video material.

There is little acceleration, but nothing special, if you are using effects redgiant, NewBlueFX, Trapcode, etc, etc.

I have a panasonic TM700 - 1920x1080 60p

If  I use video 1280 x 720 24p or 25p or 30p Mercury acceleration is OK,  but for 1920x1080 60p very little acceleration in the preview + redgiant  or Trapcode or NewBlueFX. esc esc esc

In any case, thanks to NVIDIA and Adobe MERCURY HARDWARE ACCELERATION

>

• 7. Re: Not work Cuda Mercury P.E. Premiere CS 5.0.2 + nvidia gtx 470 vs ati 5850
                    trovac Level 1

Thanks for your reply.
                    I'm from RS Bosnia and Herzegovina
                    My computer is not so bad ..
                    I just want to have better real time preview when I use a plugin or two.
                    I will not buy more memory.

My Computer:
                    intel i7 920
                    cool master V8 - CPU cooler
                    ASUS P6T Deluxe V2
                    MSI GTX 470
                    muskin 3x2 1600 7-9-7
                    Seagate 1.5 TB x 2
                    Corsair 850W ATX power supply 2.2 V
                    Monitor 24 full-HD ASUS VH242

I tried several programs for video processing.
                    CS5 is best program for video processing platform for winows.

• 8. Re: Not work Cuda Mercury P.E. Premiere CS 5.0.2 + nvidia gtx 470 vs ati 5850
                      Jim_Simon Level 8

That is correct.  And the only way around that is to not use those effects.