20 Replies Latest reply on Jul 13, 2011 8:42 AM by Colin Brougham

JVC's qiucktime file in Premiere Pro CS5

Franksvideo Level 1

I load Apples Quicktime player on computer but when in Premiere CS5 it asks for addtional codecs to play video.

Where do I get the codecs for JVCs Quicktime format files.

• 1. Re: JVC's qiucktime file in Premiere Pro CS5
          Colin Brougham Level 6

You didn't specify whether you're using Windows or Mac OS, but they won't playback in Windows QT Player natively, and I don't think they'll play on a Mac unless you have FCP installed. They will import and playback in Premiere, however--or at least they should. I'm looking at one right now. Are you updated to Premiere Pro 5.0.2?

• 2. Re: JVC's qiucktime file in Premiere Pro CS5
            Jim_Simon Level 8

Where do I get the codecs for JVCs Quicktime format files.

For playback, VLC 1.1.4 should handle them.  However, I don't believe you will ever get them into Premiere for editing.  Those files are designed specifically for Final Cut Pro.  It's best not to shoot using that format.

(P.S.  I've had to deal with those files.  If you do somehow find a way, please post back.)

• 3. Re: JVC's qiucktime file in Premiere Pro CS5
              davidbeisner2010 Level 3

So are you implying that Adobe won't support stuff shot on the new GY-HM100 and 700 cameras that shoot to QT files? I'm looking at upgrading my primary camera to the HM700, and was under the impression that it would work great in PPro CS5 using the XDCAM sequence settings. Am I going to end up having to transcode all my files before using them in Premiere if I shoot with one of those cameras??

• 4. Re: JVC's qiucktime file in Premiere Pro CS5
                Jim_Simon Level 8

I believe those cameras will shoot in normal formats.  The FCP format is because FCP is behind the technology curve and requires Log & Transfer for many formats, whereas Premiere edits them natively.  Camera makers added the FCP recording format as a way to bypass the Log & Transfer step.  If you're not using FCP, there's no need to record using that format.  Just shoot in standard formats.

• 5. Re: JVC's qiucktime file in Premiere Pro CS5
                  Colin Brougham Level 6

The QuickTime files work fine in Premiere (at least from an HM700), and in fact, if you need to cross-platform between a PC and a Mac, the QuickTimes will probably be your better choice. However, if you're only working on a PC, use the MP4 container. That way you can view the files in both Premiere and elsewhere on the desktop--even Windows Media Player will play those back on Windows 7. The MOVs, however, would require something like Calibrated XD Decoder to play back in QT Player on a PC--Jim says VLC will play them but I don't/won't use VLC so I can't confirm.

Here's the properties from a 720p24 QuickTime from the HM700:

hm700-720p24.png

• 6. Re: JVC's qiucktime file in Premiere Pro CS5
                    davidbeisner2010 Level 3

Thanks guys... I didn't realize you could set different formats to record in on the JVC... I thought it was either the qt as native or you could purchase it with the SxS module and record SxS as well. So I can set the mp4 container from within the camera menu then? That's nice...

• 7. Re: JVC's qiucktime file in Premiere Pro CS5
                      Colin Brougham Level 6

So I can set the mp4 container from within the camera menu then? That's nice...

That's my understanding. I don't have one of the cameras--just the footage--but that's generally how the JVC stuff works.

• 8. Re: JVC's qiucktime file in Premiere Pro CS5
                        Jim_Simon Level 8

Hey Colin,

Any chance of a Gspot screen cap for that same file?

• 9. Re: JVC's qiucktime file in Premiere Pro CS5
                          Colin Brougham Level 6

I'll do you one better: here's the Gspot profile and the Mediainfo profile:

xdcam-gspot-mediainfo.png

Here's the text of the Mediainfo report:

General
                          Complete name                    : E:\_COMMON_\Test Footage\HM700\DASH0095_01_720p24.MOV
                          Format                           : MPEG-4
                          Format_Commercial_IfAny          : XDCAM EX 35
                          Format profile                   : QuickTime
                          Codec ID                         : qt 
                          File size                        : 47.0 MiB
                          Duration                         : 11s 668ms
                          Overall bit rate                 : 33.8 Mbps
                          Encoded date                     : UTC 2009-03-22 22:25:05
                          Tagged date                      : UTC 2009-03-22 22:25:05
                          ©TSC                             : 23976
                          ©TSZ                             : 1000

Video
                          ID                               : 1
                          Format                           : MPEG Video
                          Format version                   : Version 2
                          Format profile                   : Main@High
                          Format settings, BVOP            : Yes
                          Format settings, Matrix          : Default
                          Format settings, GOP             : M=3, N=12
                          Codec ID                         : xdv4
                          Codec ID/Hint                    : XDCAM
                          Duration                         : 11s 668ms
                          Bit rate mode                    : Variable
                          Bit rate                         : 35.0 Mbps
                          Width                            : 1 248 pixels
                          Original width                   : 1 280 pixels
                          Height                           : 702 pixels
                          Original height                  : 720 pixels
                          Display aspect ratio             : 16:9
                          Frame rate mode                  : Constant
                          Frame rate                       : 23.976 fps
                          Color space                      : YUV
                          Chroma subsampling               : 4:2:0
                          Bit depth                        : 8 bits
                          Scan type                        : Progressive
                          Bits/(Pixel*Frame)               : 1.666
                          Stream size                      : 44.8 MiB (95%)
                          Language                         : English

Audio
                          ID                               : 2
                          Format                           : PCM
                          Format settings, Endianness      : Big
                          Format settings, Sign            : Signed
                          Codec ID                         : twos
                          Duration                         : 11s 11ms
                          Bit rate mode                    : Constant
                          Bit rate                         : 1 536 Kbps
                          Channel(s)                       : 2 channels
                          Sampling rate                    : 48.0 KHz
                          Bit depth                        : 16 bits
                          Stream size                      : 2.02 MiB (4%)

Menu
                          ID                               : 3
                          Bit rate mode                    : CBR

• 10. Re: JVC's qiucktime file in Premiere Pro CS5
                            Jim_Simon Level 8

My mistake.  These are NOT the files I thought they were.

• 11. Re: JVC's qiucktime file in Premiere Pro CS5
                              Colin Brougham Level 6

Out of curiosity, what did you think they were?

• 12. Re: JVC's qiucktime file in Premiere Pro CS5
                                Jim_Simon Level 8

I can't recall the exact codec.

• 13. Re: JVC's qiucktime file in Premiere Pro CS5
                                  Colin Brougham Level 6

AIC (Apple Intermediate Codec), perhaps? That's Apple's craptastic HDV intermediate codec that is available in iMovie and optionally in FCP. If that's the one you're thinking of, there is no-way-no-how to get these decoded on a Windows machine. I've gotten them before and it always involves taking them to someone with a Mac and transcoding them there to something more platform-agnostic.

• 14. Re: JVC's qiucktime file in Premiere Pro CS5
                                    Jim_Simon Level 8

No, it wasn't that.

• 15. Re: JVC's qiucktime file in Premiere Pro CS5
                                      Kevin Schuster Level 1

Hey Colin,

I'm having issues importing footage.  I'm using CS4 on Windows Vista.  Do you know if there was a change from CS4 to CS5 to allow for the import?  Or is something funky with my version right now.

Any chance you know where I can get the xvd4 codec?

Kevin

• 16. Re: JVC's qiucktime file in Premiere Pro CS5
                                        the_wine_snob Level 9

Kevin,

Are the files that you are having an issue with, Xvid?

If not, what are their complete specs.? Above, you can see how Colin used both G-Spot and MediaInfo to give the complete details of the files in the beginning of the thread. If you do the same, then someone can likely help you with your particular files. Hoping that they are NOT using the Xvid CODEC.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 17. Re: JVC's qiucktime file in Premiere Pro CS5
                                          Colin Brougham Level 6

Any chance you know where I can get the xvd4 codec?

Do you mean 'xdv4'? Makes a difference...

Calibrated{Q} XD Decode will let you open these (or should, anyway), but it's not free. I might have a free solution for you, though--don't have time to test and type it up right now. If you can wait, I'll fix yer wagon

In the meantime, can you post a MediaInfo report?

• 18. Re: JVC's qiucktime file in Premiere Pro CS5
                                            Kevin Schuster Level 1

Sorry about that ... had issues getting everything for you.

File Format: .mov

Picture for you:

screen.png

Full read out:

General

Complete name                    : I:\Video Files\ICrave Freedom\2011 July Footage\Corey\Right\First\Good Shots\831_0892_01.MOV

Format                           : MPEG-4

Format profile                   : QuickTime

Codec ID                         : qt 

File size                        : 123 MiB

Duration                         : 29s 29ms

Overall bit rate                 : 35.6 Mbps

Encoded date                     : UTC 2011-07-08 16:06:08

Tagged date                      : UTC 2011-07-13 14:12:59

Video

ID                               : 1

Format                           : MPEG Video

Format version                   : Version 2

Format profile                   : Main@High

Format settings, BVOP            : Yes

Format settings, Matrix          : Custom

Format settings, GOP             : M=3, N=12

Codec ID                         : xdv4

Codec ID/Hint                    : XDCAM

Duration                         : 29s 29ms

Bit rate mode                    : Variable

Bit rate                         : 34.0 Mbps

Maximum bit rate                 : 35.0 Mbps

Width                            : 1 248 pixels

Original width                   : 1 280 pixels

Height                           : 702 pixels

Original height                  : 720 pixels

Display aspect ratio             : 16:9

Frame rate mode                  : Constant

Frame rate                       : 23.976 fps

Color space                      : YUV

Chroma subsampling               : 4:2:0

Bit depth                        : 8 bits

Scan type                        : Progressive

Compression mode                 : Lossy

Bits/(Pixel*Frame)               : 1.619

Stream size                      : 118 MiB (96%)

Encoded date                     : UTC 2011-07-08 16:06:08

Tagged date                      : UTC 2011-07-08 16:06:08

• 19. Re: JVC's qiucktime file in Premiere Pro CS5
                                              Colin Brougham Level 6

Yep, can fix. However, since you're on CS4, start a thread over there and I'll put the details in it. This issue is really separate from the original one posted in this thread.