6 Replies Latest reply on Oct 16, 2010 7:59 AM by Steve Grisetti

Non traditional student computer challenged

:s student

I have never used any editing software and loaded my schools Sony camcorder video though the software and no matter what i do i cant seem to link anything together or get to any point where i can remove parts of scenes or reduce wind noise. I really have no Idea what i need to do can anyone walk me though it?

• 1. Re: Non traditional student computer challenged
          John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

This is aimed at Premiere Pro, but may help
          Work through all of the steps (ideas) listed at http://ppro.wikia.com/wiki/Troubleshooting

If your problem isn't fixed after you follow all of the steps, report back with ALL OF THE DETAILS asked for in the FINALLY section, the questions at the end of the troubleshooting link... most especially the codec used... see Question 1

• 2. Re: Non traditional student computer challenged
            :s student Level 1

went to the link but not sure what it is I should do? nothing says anything about video editing software? I did look under properties of the file from the camcorder and it list MTS file. so I think thats right??? I read in here that pro and premiere are very diferent so I am a little scared to download or try to fix anything on that site with out a little more info.

• 3. Re: Non traditional student computer challenged
              Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

It sounds as though your are working with AVCHD video.

When you started your Premiere Elements project, did you choose a set-up that matches your AVCHD video type? Note that there are four video project presets for AVCHD, so it's important you study your camcorder's specs to ensure you are selecting the right one.

You should then use Premiere Elements Get Media/AVCHD Camcorder to open the Video Importer and download the video from your camcorder.

AVCHD is a very intensive video format and generally requires at least a quad-core or i7 processor with a good 4 gigs of RAM to work with. Is your computer adequately powered for AVCHD editing? How much free, defragmented space is on your hard drive?

• 4. Re: Non traditional student computer challenged
                John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP
                1 person found this helpful
                • 5. Re: Non traditional student computer challenged
                  :s student Level 1

I dont have a quad core I have a duel core and not sure about available space or how to find that out. I also don't know anything about camcorders at all this was one from the school and all I know is the file shows MTS and I was under the retrieve from camcorder mode in the software. I am running the analyzing media and have been since @ noon today and it is finally on the last clip and it @ 930pm now but it's only @8% done so i am guessing it will be done when i get up in the morning is that the first step? did I even need to do this time consuming piece? I know that I need to start a new project but it doesn't recognize or allow me to do this. I am not sure if i am even using the right software. The school purchased it but no one has ever used it yet. I tried windows movie maker but it didn't recognize the camcorder or the file. happy for any suggestions. I saw someone posted to convert to mpeg 2 hd file not sure about that but i did download the software and am trying it on some of the files that I messed up on in the recording. I feel like I am over my head and that this should be much more simple would be open to other software suggestions also. I just want to thank everyone for trying to help me....

• 6. Re: Non traditional student computer challenged
                    Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

It also sounds very much like your computer is under-powered to work with this camcorder's video, unfortunately.

You can find out your computer's specs by right-clicking on My Computer and selecting Properties. This will tell you how fast your processor is and how much RAM you have.

You can find out how much free space is on your hard drive by opening My Computer.

1 person found this helpful