8 Replies Latest reply on Oct 18, 2010 11:18 AM by richardrock

New computer - memory?

teho59 Level 1

I am setting up a new computer and someone tells me I don't need 12GB ram. "Doubt that some programs uses that much" he says. PPro does use that much, right? I looked at the benchmark result page and there is a lot of memory on most computers I see.

Here is my spec:

Intel Core i7 950 3,0GHz Socket 1366 Box
      Antec P193 (Sort)
      Noctua NH-U12P SE2
      Crucial RealSSD C300 2.5" 256GB
      Asus GeForce ENGTX480/2DI/1536MD5 1536MB
      Asus Rampage III Extreme
      Corsair XMS3 DDR3 PC16000/2000MHz CL9 3x4GB

Can I reduce some part without reducing much performance?

- Terje

• 1. Re: New computer - memory?
          richardrock

I would go for as much RAM as possible up front so they all match. I know this doesn't answer your question directly, but I think part of the equation is enough RAM to support the OS and Premiere and other programs open at the same time.

I would suggest reading this thread on Premiere w SSDs http://forums.adobe.com/message/2757873#2757873 SSDs are expensive and multiple disks is important with Premiere.

Read around on this forum, it will be time well spent.

A little more info may help people assist you better! Are you editing hour long multicams with a lot of effects etc, or just little stuff? Do you plan to overclock?

• 2. Re: New computer - memory?
            Harm Millaard Level 7

If you need to shave off some things to stay inside budget, you can opt for the GTX 470 instead of the 480 and you can choose a Velociraptor instead of the SSD for OS & programs. Do not skimp on memory.

• 3. Re: New computer - memory?
              teho59 Level 1

richardrock wrote:

A little more info may help people assist you better! Are you editing hour long multicams with a lot of effects etc, or just little stuff? Do you plan to overclock?

Hi,

I have a Canon 7D and have not made long sequences yet but I will do more and longer sequences when I get into video properly. But I guess no longer than five to ten minutes as far as I know now, but that can change. And I do want to learn to use effects, and also overclock to get the pc as fast as possible.

I know I will get annoyed if I have to sit down and wait for a "slow" system that could be faster with some upgrades. Therefore I want to build a fast system now instead of doing an upgrade after some time. I guess this system will be decent fore 3-4 years before I will build another pc.

- Terje

• 4. Re: New computer - memory?
                joewilde Level 1

Memory for PPCS5 is vital and the more the better, aim for 12GB minimum! 3x4GB sticks will give you the option to add another 12GB at a later stage but don't skimp on it with the original build, it makes a huge difference.

As Harm posted, the GTX 470 can be used instead of the GTX 480 and will save you some cash (you may be able to find an overclocked 470 at a reasonable rate) the card you end up buying should have more than 1GB of RAM as there is a minimum RAM requirement for video cards.

You will also need to look drives for media, export, page files etc. An excellent guide to hard drive set up can be found here.

Hope that helps

1 person found this helpful
                • 5. Re: New computer - memory?
                  joewilde Level 1

Your system will easily edit multiple layers of the 7D .MOV files with transitions, some effects, resizing and will display perfectly well at 1080p without the need to render. I know because I edit footage from the 7D with excellent results using a similar setup.

Thanks

1 person found this helpful
                  • 6. Re: New computer - memory?
                    teho59 Level 1

Thanks everybody, I got some excellent answers and ideas and I have got a feeling how to choose.  I will probably go for my initial setup. It will give me good performance and I can overclock it easily. Money is not the problem so I think I will not reduce because of that. Maybe the GTX 470 if the 480 is noisy, have seen some places it could be. I will decide in a month or so, I am not in a hurry for this, may a christmas gift for myself 

- Terje

• 7. Re: New computer - memory?
                      David Zeno Level 1

I can vouch for the GTX-470, Harm suggested this card to me a few times, and I finally spends some dollars last week and bought it.

My jaw dropped on the floor when I tried it the first time.

Before installing this card, I would spend HOURS rendering my timeline, over and over, tweeking logos, overlays, etc, .... it drove me crazy.  With that new

card installed ( GTX-470 ) the timeline now needs NO rendering, and I do stuff in real-time.  I cannot even begin to explain how much I love this card.

As Harm said, right now, this card gives you the biggest bang for your buck, and I am so happy I purchased it.

Dave.

Harm Millaard wrote:

If you need to shave off some things to stay inside budget, you can opt for the GTX 470 instead of the 480 and you can choose a Velociraptor instead of the SSD for OS & programs. Do not skimp on memory.

• 8. Re: New computer - memory?
                        richardrock Level 1

I agree, the MPE on Fermi is working out very well. And the 470 is optimal in bang for buck.

As to the GTX 480 and noise, I can’t even hear it running.

There is a lot going on under the hood. Today I am working in AfterEffects, Photoshop Ext. in 3D mode, a tutorial in Quick Time, I am popping in and out of Illustrator and a clunky Digital Juice renderer all at the same time, and the machine is very quiet. I have the noise reduction wires on the Noctua and the side case fan is unplugged, but mostly I attribute the quiet run to the fact the components, especially the PSU, aren’t stressed. (Drives less than 20% full except OS drive @ 40%)

I7 930 (No OC yet)

Win7Pro

12GB HyperX RAM

COOLER MASTER HAF 932

COOLER MASTER Silent Pro 1000w

SAMSUNG Spinpoint F3 1 TB (X4)

WD Caviar Black 64 MB cache (X1)

WD VRaptor 150GB 16MB cache (X1)

Noctua NH-D14

EVGA GTX 480