5 Replies Latest reply on Oct 16, 2010 1:04 PM by shooternz

Experienced Sony Vegas user trying to learn Premiere

OlympiaTim

I'm a part-time editor. I've used Vegas for everything I've edited in the last decade. I'm attempting to switch to Premiere.

The media I edit most is Panasonic P2 MXF's and now MOV's from the Canon 7D/5D.

I'm noticing that when the timeline is playing if I click any of the "Toggle Track" buttons, playback stops. Is there a way to mute a track during playback without stopping playback?

I've found how to enable Preview Playback on a second monitor (Sequence Settings / Playback Settings / Extenrnal Device / OK) but is there a quicker way? It seems that needs to be "OK'd" every time I start Premiere even though the settings remain configured properly.

Is it true that Premiere does not support external control devices (like the Mackie Control) for track control? Searching online seems to suggest I'm out of luck.

How are the Lynda's Premiere tutorials? Any recommended resources for an moderately experienced editor learning Premiere CS5?

• 1. Re: Experienced Sony Vegas user trying to learn Premiere
          Tminus10web Level 2

Lynda's training videos are superb.\

When you are creating a new sequence, click on the general tab, then playback settings, then external device... choose the one you  want.  then, down at the bottom, there is a save preset button... click it, name it, and then use this new preset when creating new sequences and PRESTO!

As far as adjusting audio during playback, you can do that in the 'Audio Mixer' Panel without interrupting playback.  You can even automate the actions and adjustments you make in the audio mixer panel over time.

As I am relatively new to Premiere myself, I am unsure as to the external control devices.

Hope that helps,

David

• 2. Re: Experienced Sony Vegas user trying to learn Premiere
            OlympiaTim Level 1

Thanks, David.

re: The external preview...

I have no problem maintaining the Playback Settings for the preview monitor, but whenever I startup Premiere, or even switch between sequences, the preview monitor goes black and the only way to get it back is to drill down through the Sequence / Playback Settings menus and then click "OK".

It seems like maybe there should be a keyboard shortcut or mouse click to turn the external preview On or Off quickly.

• 3. Re: Experienced Sony Vegas user trying to learn Premiere
              Tminus10web Level 2

I have never had that difficulty myself...  once I create it as a sequence preset, it seems to stick.   My best advice to you would be to close this thread and create a new one with a more descriptive title to this problem, as many of the pro's on this forum will likely pass over this thread because of its non-specific nature.

Maybe try 'Preview monitor / Playback Settings keep resetting?'

Sorry I couldn't be more help.   Did the 'Audio Mixer' solution work for you at least?

• 4. Re: Experienced Sony Vegas user trying to learn Premiere
                OlympiaTim Level 1

Good idea, David.

Thanks - Bringing the mixer to my attention worked great! Doh!

• 5. Re: Experienced Sony Vegas user trying to learn Premiere
                  shooternz Level 6

I have no problem maintaining the Playback Settings for the preview monitor, but whenever I startup Premiere, or even switch between sequences, the preview monitor goes black and the only way to get it back is to drill down through the Sequence / Playback Settings menus and then click "OK".

It seems like maybe there should be a keyboard shortcut or mouse click to turn the external preview On or Off quickly.

I have that re setting issue as well. Yes... it is very annoying because I always have multiple sequencesin a project  and flick between them regularly.

A button would be OK but a fix would be better.