6 Replies Latest reply on Oct 17, 2010 1:54 PM by KMK_media_group

Degraded render quality in first few frames only

KMK_media_group Level 1

This is so odd.  I rendered my project and the quality came out just fine.

But then I noticed I had about 1 second or so of empty space at the beginning so I trimmed it down.

When I re-render, now the first second or so of the video is fuzzy, the rest is fine after that. I changed NOTHING else. Just the trimming.

In fact, if I go back in and re-add the couple seconds of empty space at the beginning again, when it gets to the part that was fuzzy.....its fine again.

So....I either have to have a couple seconds of dead space OR no dead space and a couple seconds of fuzzyness.

Anyone know what gives???

• 1. Re: Degraded render quality in first few frames only
          Todd_Kopriva Level 8

What version of After Effects? What operating system? What output codec? What kinds of source footage?

It's hard for us to help you without a lot more information.

• 2. Re: Degraded render quality in first few frames only
            Mylenium Most Valuable Participant

Anyone know what gives???

Yes! You are working with compressed footage and possibly use wrong footage interpretation and render settings. Deleting the snippet destroys the first GOP and what is left obviously does not provide enough data to reconstruct the frames....

Mylenium

• 3. Re: Degraded render quality in first few frames only
              KMK_media_group Level 1

Replying to both Todd and Mylennium.

Yes, should have known to provide would need more info. But based on what was happening, I was hopeful there was an obvious answer to an expert.

Todd -

CS5, win7 64 bit of course, H.264 output, hmmm footage mostly constructed within AE, but with psd sequence imports and a few illustrator files.

The very first footage that plays and is in question is a psd sequence. The sequence itself is fine.

Myllenium, -

I understand what you are saying but that doesn't apply here. There was no reconstruction to be done. The footage that renders poorly is a PSD sequence that is untouched either way. I trim right up to where the psd sequence begins. Before the sequence....there is nothing, no footage. Just empty space.I'm not even really trimming, just telling it to render starting at the psd sequence.  Yet.....when I leave the empty space there, it renders the first few frames of  the psd seqeunce fine. If I remove the empty space,  right up to where the sequence begins......the first few frames of that sequence, render poorly. The rest is superb.

• 4. Re: Degraded render quality in first few frames only
                Mylenium Most Valuable Participant

You are using VBR compression, right? In that case the artifacts would be due to the analysis requiring some time to "level off", as it were. Encode such stuff in the standalone Adobe Media Encoder and results will be much better...

Mylenium

• 5. Re: Degraded render quality in first few frames only
                  KMK_media_group Level 1

Thanks for the help. What I ultimately ended up doing was taking the good render with the extra space at the beginning, inserting it into Premiere Pro along with my Audio and THEN told Premeire to start rendering at the appropriate frame. Worked like a charm. I will also look into Media Encoder for future reference as well.

I assume you can insert a video file and an audio file together and output them to one file with Media Encoder?

• 6. Re: Degraded render quality in first few frames only
                    Todd_Kopriva Level 8

> I assume you can insert a video file and an audio file together and output them to one file with Media Encoder?

You can assemble the two assets in a sequence in Premiere Pro and then send that single sequence to Adobe Media Encoder.