8 Replies Latest reply on Nov 28, 2010 4:44 PM by pwillener

Error 1402 HELP

MrsLayne221

Thank you first for reading my post. I have read over the fourms for a few days now before posting. I would like to list some facts about my system and myself. I am very computer savy and I own and built this computer. I don't buy stock computers I have always built my own.

My computer:

• OS Windows Vista Ultimate 64 Bit OEM
      • Asus Mother Board
      • 6 GB Ram
      • 1 GB Nvida Card... Pc has all the bells and whistles $2,000 invested
      • Windows Defender
      • Malwarebytes
      • Super Anti Spyware
      • Nortons 360
      • Adobe 9.3.4

Now this the registery problem, HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\Current Version\Run\Optional Components\IMAIL now when I go to my regedit and manualy look for this key I can't find it past Run. I can search all the way through the key's and get to run and there are no further entries after that file. So I'm guessing that maybe Either its missing and I don't have a backup to reinstall it or Adobe is having a major problem.

Solutions I have tried:

Ankit_Jain's Solution. I can't get this command prompt to work even with manual or copy and paste and Im aware of the mistype she put foward and corrected.

1. 2. Install the same by double clicking on the "subinacl.msi" just downloaded.
      2. 3. Open Command Prompt window through the Run Dialog Box (Start -> Run and type "cmd" and click OK)
      3. 4. In the Command Prompt window, type in the following commands:
      4.     i. cd /d "%ProgramFiles%\Windows Resource Kits\Tools" (Hit Enter)
      5.    ii. subinacl  /subkeyreg  HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run\OptionalComponents /grant=administrators=f /grant=SYSTEM=f /grant=USERS=f  /grant="Creator Owner"=f (Hit Enter)

Registery Mechanic: Paid the $29.99 to get this and it still isn't working. Though I continue to get some errors for some of my keys.

Removing Adobe 9.3.4 Can't be done through control panel program remove. It says I don't have sufficent access. I built this machine, that means I own it and thats the bottom line.

Adobes Response Link: http://kb2.adobe.com/cps/329/329137.html#main_Additional information

What's covered

Try this first

More solutions

• (Advanced) Set permissions to registry defaults    I HAVE DONE THIS AND NOTHING HAS HAPPEND
      • Remove spyware                                                I HAVE 4 DIFFERENT PROGRAMS TO DEAL WITH SPYWARE IM CLEAN
      • Check for viruses
      • Disable Webroot Spy Sweeper                             DONT HAVE THE PROGRAM
      • Disable McAfee VirusScan 8.5 Access Protection DONT HAVE THE PROGRAM
      • Visit the forums                                                   IM HERE NOW PLEADING FOR HELP
      • Additional information    "Error 1402 occurs when the Windows installer is unable to read a particular registry key. Installation can fail because the Acrobat or Reader installer attempts to clean up registry keys of previous versions of Acrobat or Reader. This cleanup is necessary to avoid conflicts with Acrobat or Reader plug-ins and add-ins for third-party software" This is in their words. Seems it can't read it to Uninstall Also or it removed my key during INSTALL.                                       

As you can see I have put some effort into this and I own the machine and I am the Administrator. I build computers from parts and this is the finest I have built todate. Some help would be welcomed.

• 1. Re: Error 1402 HELP
          Ankit_Jain Adobe Employee

Hi,

Thanks for the very descriptive post!! The information came in handy while trying to figure out what went wrong in your case.

Ankit_Jain's Solution. I can't get this command prompt to work even with manual or copy and paste and Im aware of the mistype she put foward and corrected.

2. Install the same by double clicking on the "subinacl.msi" just downloaded.
            3. Open Command Prompt window through the Run Dialog Box (Start -> Run and type "cmd" and click OK)
            4. In the Command Prompt window, type in the following commands:
                i. cd /d "%ProgramFiles%\Windows Resource Kits\Tools" (Hit Enter)
               ii. subinacl  /subkeyreg  HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run\OptionalComponents /grant=administrators=f /grant=SYSTEM=f /grant=USERS=f  /grant="Creator Owner"=f (Hit Enter)

Since, you are using a 64 bit machine, the command 4(i) needs to altered slightly to:

i. cd /d "%ProgramFiles (x86)%\Windows Resource Kits\Tools" (Hit Enter)

Apologies for the confusion caused while trying out the same earlier. Hope it works this time around.

Regards

Ankit

• 2. Re: Error 1402 HELP
                MrsLayne221 Level 1

I just looked at your message and went directly to the command prompt and entered it and it says. The system can't find the path specified. Do I need to reinstall that program again? Thanks for your reply and future communication.

• 3. Re: Error 1402 HELP
                  pwillener Level 8

The most important step at this point is to uninstall your current Reader version.  Since it cannot be done through Add/Remove Programs, use the Windows Installer Cleanup Utility (http://majorgeeks.com/Windows_Installer_CleanUp_Utility_d4459.html) to remove the corrupt installation.

Once this is done, can you install the latest Reader version?

• 4. Re: Error 1402 HELP
                    Ankit_Jain Adobe Employee

You dont need to reinstall the program again, unless you have uninstalled it explicitly, which is not the case here. Though, I have to ask you, did you change the program installation directory while installing SubInACL to any other path other than the default value? If so, the command (i.e. 4(i)) needs to be changed to point to the installation directory wherein you installed the SubInACL tool.

cd <path to installation directory in double quotes> (eg. cd "C:\xyz")

Hope this helps.

Regards

Ankit

• 5. Re: Error 1402 HELP
                      MrsLayne221 Level 1

Think I may have figured out what your saying. But first let me explain. I uninstalled it then reinstalled the program you gave us Ankit_Jain. Its installed here at C:\Program Files (x86)\Windows Resource Kits\Tools\ . Now in your command prompt you have somethign like "cd/ d" I dont think thats how you access the directry for my c: drive. I thought it should start off as something like  C:\ so what im thining is the (cd/ d) just means use c: foward or backward slash right? Cause my drive is titled C:

• 6. Re: Error 1402 HELP
                        pwillener Level 8

MrsLayne221 wrote:

Now in your command prompt you have somethign like "cd/ d"

That is not quite correct - the slash must not be separated from the 'd'; it should be like cd /d (the /d here is a command parameter).

In your case the command should be (including the quotes):

cd /d "C:\Program Files (x86)\Windows Resource Kits\Tools"

• 7. Re: Error 1402 HELP
                          MrsLayne221 Level 1

Finaly got back to researching this problem, I have come to the conclusion that Im missing a key where this should be entered. If anyone is familar with adding keys in Vista Ultimate please point out some tips.

Thank You

Mrslayne

• 8. Re: Error 1402 HELP
                            pwillener Level 8

What kind of "key" - a registry key?  If so, what key is missing...?

Editing the registry in Vista is the same as in any Windows version: regedit.exe