2 Replies Latest reply on Oct 17, 2010 6:21 AM by A.T. Romano

How do I transfer mov footage to premiere element 7

ritanow

HI

I bought the canon 500d dslr camera and I'm unable to load it onto  my premiere. The codec is missing as the camera shoots in mov. Is it possible to convert  it so that it will work on premiere 7

Thanks

• 1. Re: How do I transfer mov footage to premiere element 7
          nealeh Level 5

What tools can I use to convert my video to DV-AVI?  should get you sorted.

Cheers,
          --
          Neale
          Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your children

• 2. Re: How do I transfer mov footage to premiere element 7
            A.T. Romano Level 7

ritanow

I did some homework on your questions and came up with some interesting answers which you might want to explore:

The Camera

a. Your camera Canon 500D is otherwise known as the Canon EOS Digital Rebel T1i SLR and records

1920 x 1080 at 20 fps

or

1280 x 720 at 30 fps

or

640 x 480 at 30 fps

Which one of the three is involved in your question? Or, is it all? And what Premiere Elements 7 project preset are you using? So, if you go the conversion to DV AVI route, you are going to end up with a frame size of 720 x 480 (NTSC) or 720 x 576 (PAL) whether you select DV AVI standard or widescreen.

I have downloaded Canon 500D samples of each of those types and have had no issues importing them importing them into Premiere Elements 7 with the appropriate project preset. Before I imported them into Premiere Elements 7, I checked out the video and audio codecs for each and found that they appeared to be the same..

:

1920 x 1080 at 20 fps

Video Codec AVC1 Name H.264

Audio Codec: sowt: 16-bit signed little-endian

44100 Hz

1280 x 1080 at 30 fps

44100 Hz

640 x 480 at 30 fps

44100 Hz

So that surfaces the question why are you getting no codec message and what to do about it.

a. Conversion of your AVC1.mov to DV AVI is one possibility if you want 720 x 480 pixels frame size. If you are after DV AVI 4:3, then Prism Converter should serve your purposes. If you are after DV AVI 16:9, then MPEG Streamclip is the route to follow since Prism does not do a DV AVI 16:9.

b. BUT, based on my results, you should not have to convert that Canon video before importing. So first I ask, do you have the latest version of QuickTime installed on your computer as well as Windows Media Player? Codecs used in Premiere Elements typically come from Windows and those that came along with the installation of a player. I have even seen sites for downloading free "AVC1 codec".

c. In order to check my results, you could try downloading the video samples that I used for my test and see if they import or do not import into your Premiere Elements.

Associated Links (provided for informational purposes only)

http://www.giveawayoftheday.com/avc1+codec/

http://www.nchsoftware.com/prism/index.html

http://www.squared5.com/

http://www.steves-digicams.com/camera-reviews/canon/eos-digital-rebel-t1i-slr/canon-eos-di gital-rebel-t1i-slr-review-8.html

(for the last one See 0505.mov, 0509.mov, and 0510.mov.)

AVCHD-like and AVCHD-Lite formats as well as the various wrappers .mov, .mp4 can be challenging for Premiere Elements, but in this case, IF I HAVE IDENTIFIED THE CAMERA THAT YOU ARE USING, there should be no problem importing these media into Premiere Elements 7. I have never and did not download the AVC1 video codec to get my successful results in this mini study.

I am looking forward to your results.

ATR