17 Replies Latest reply on Oct 21, 2010 7:35 AM by Peter Kahrel

Script Bay UI suggestions welcome!

Harbs. Level 6

Hi all,

For those who have not been following the progress of Script Bay, I've just made some major improvements to the script editor (like undo/redo, automatic code indenting, etc.) and functionality of it in general: http://in-tools.com/wordpress/script-bay/script-bay-version-0-1-5

I've working on some smaller improvements now, but the next major improvement will hopefully be script categorizing. I'd like to give the option to categorize scripts and display them by category. What concerns me more than the technical hurdles to implement it is the UI hurdles. I'm having a hard time envisioning how a UI to create and apply (possibly multiple) categories to scripts should look like.

Anyone has ideas on how they'd like it to look?

Harbs

• 1. Re: Script Bay UI suggestions welcome!
          Peter Kahrel Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Harbs,

Sounds like a great idea. Maybe something like a folder structure, where you could assign a script to different categories. For instance, you could label scripts with certain categories ("notes", "cross-refs", "graphics", "links", etc.), allowing scripts to fall in more than one category. FGolders would have similar labels, and a script could then show up in more than one folder. More or less what you see in many blogs. Don't know if that's feasible, though.

Peter

• 2. Re: Script Bay UI suggestions welcome!
            Fred Goldman Level 3

I am not really a creative person, so I usually look to other things I like when I try to figure out how to do something new. I like the way mini bridge allows you to sort by label. You add a column to the sort menu at the top. There is also an option to filter labeled and unlabeled items (you might want to add the option to only show certain labels). It is very similar to the way Windows Explorer and Mozila Thunderbird work. You can label items by right-clicking which is very convenient.

• 3. Re: Script Bay UI suggestions welcome!
              Harbs. Level 6

Ah!

I forgot about Bridge when looking for a UI concept to use. I'm not sure why you are using Labels as an example. I think the Keywords (and collections) system is very elegant.

Should I try to mimic that type of UI?

Harbs

• 4. Re: Script Bay UI suggestions welcome!
                Fred Goldman Level 3

I didn't mention them because I didn't know about them .

I had never used bridge until CS5 (I like mini bridge).

Now that I look at them they look very nifty. I would have to think about how I would use it for scripts...

• 5. Re: Script Bay UI suggestions welcome!
                  Harbs. Level 6

Well, the idea would be that you could display scripts organized by category instead of the physical folder they reside in. You would be able to include a specific script in multiple categories, so it could be grouped logically in multiple contexts.

Collections (or job folders) would be virtual folders of scripts which you might use in a specific situation even if they don't necesssarily fit into the same category.

Sounds nice?

I was mainly looking for UI ideas, and I think I found what I was looking for in Bridge...

Harbs

• 6. Re: Script Bay UI suggestions welcome!
                    Fred Goldman Level 3

Yeah, I understand, and I think it would be an excellent improvement!

I was just thinking what kind of criteria would a user want for scripts in the smart collections. Being able to sort scripts by contents would be awesome! Maybe functions used, or maybe even properties used. I find myself often trying to remeber which script it was that I used a certain object or property.

• 7. Re: Script Bay UI suggestions welcome!
                      Marijan Tompa [tomaxxi] Level 4

What do you think about ability to "star" script, and display just starred scripts?

Also I would suggest to implement conditional text selection,

so to be able to select property name on double-click,

and also when moving through script with Ctrl+Left/Right Arrow

and also when selecting text Ctrl+Shift+Left/Right Arrow.

Hope it makes sense

--

tomaxxi

http://indisnip.wordpress.com/

• 8. Re: Script Bay UI suggestions welcome!
                        Harbs. Level 6
                        I was just thinking what kind of criteria would a user want for scripts in the smart collections. Being able to sort scripts by contents would be awesome! Maybe functions used, or maybe even properties used. I find myself often trying to remeber which script it was that I used a certain object or property.

Interesting. How would you envision a UI for such a feature?

tomaxxi wrote:

What do you think about ability to "star" script, and display just starred scripts?

Nice idea. Although you can just make another Keyword to make a "starred" group...

Also I would suggest to implement conditional text selection,

so to be able to select property name on double-click,

and also when moving through script with Ctrl+Left/Right Arrow

and also when selecting text Ctrl+Shift+Left/Right Arrow.

I assume you are talking about the script editor. Right? I already logged that request of yours. I'm thinking of: double-click would select a word, triple click would select a line, and quadruple click would select an entire block.

• 9. Re: Script Bay UI suggestions welcome!
                          Fred Goldman Level 3

Interesting. How would you envision a UI for such a feature?

I guess similar to Bridge's smart collections. One of the options for criteria would be file contents. I don't know if from a performance perspective this would be possible.

• 10. Re: Script Bay UI suggestions welcome!

I think Fred and I (and you, too, now:)) were talking about the same thing (unless I miss something). I don't know if last-accessed is an option in (Mini)Bridge, but that would be a useful sort method (cutting across any othe categorisation) as well. I use a script launcher myself which lists the ten last-run scripts chronologically before all other scripts, and I find that very handy.

Peter

• 11. Re: Script Bay UI suggestions welcome!
                              Harbs. Level 6

"Sort by recently used" should be doable. I'd also like to include a "sort by most used". Another option I'd like to include is a personal rating system, where you could rate your own scripts and sort by importance.

Great ideas! Keep 'em coming!!!

I'm thinking that the sort options make more sense in the list view. I can't imagine how to properly sort a tree-view. The categories would probably be a tree-view which would replace the folder tree view, so there would be three different views:

1) List View (which would be sortable by various options like recent, most used, favorite, other?)

The current defaul is sort by name. Should I include sort by date modified? What about version numbers? Would that be useful? How about author/publisher?

2) Tree Folder View (which would have real folders, virtual porject folders, and maybe smart folders)

If I can manage to implement smart folders (without making it a performance dog), what options would you like to see there?

3) Category View (which would list scripts in a tree view by category).

Makes sense?

Harbs

• 12. Re: Script Bay UI suggestions welcome!
                                Harbs. Level 6

I'll take silence as agrement to my last post...

I'm working at implementing categories and I have further issues I could use help on:

Script Bay works with many of the CS apps. Categories for one app might not fit well with other apps (i.e. web-specific cateories have no connection to InDesign). My question is like this: Should the UI be universal, where you could categories Dreamweaver scripts while in InDesign, or should each apps categories be set separately?

Having it all in every app might make it quicker to categorize scripts across multiple apps, but it has the potetial of making it much more confusing...

Also, what categories should I include by default?

Harbs

• 13. Re: Script Bay UI suggestions welcome!

> Should the UI be universal,

You're right that it might become confusing and that probably not all categories make sense in all apps. But maybe you could distinguish between global and local categories. E.g., you could have the category Text in Ill and ID scripts. If you allow a global and a local Text category on all scripts, the user could then decide to display only app-specific text scripts or all of them.

Alternatively, maybe you could make Script Bay sensitive to the active apps so that it shows only the scripts for the running apps. Scripts are not cross-app, are they? So it probably doesn't make sense to show scripts for PhotoShop is PS isn't active.

> what categories should I include by default?

I would opt for this: Indesign: text (maybe too general), Find/change, notes, tables, graphics, index

Of the other apps, I use only PhotoShop and have so few scripts that categorisation isn't useful. Dreamweaver I use biut haven't scripted it.

Peter

• 14. Re: Script Bay UI suggestions welcome!
                                    Harbs. Level 6

pkahrel wrote:

> Should the UI be universal,

You're right that it might become confusing and that probably not all categories make sense in all apps. But maybe you could distinguish between global and local categories. E.g., you could have the category Text in Ill and ID scripts. If you allow a global and a local Text category on all scripts, the user could then decide to display only app-specific text scripts or all of them.

I think I will make two main branches or categories: App specific, and Universal scripts. That should make it very clear what the categroies are.

Alternatively, maybe you could make Script Bay sensitive to the active apps so that it shows only the scripts for the running apps. Scripts are not cross-app, are they? So it probably doesn't make sense to show scripts for PhotoShop is PS isn't active.

There are actually two types of script folders in Script Bay: app-specific folders which only show up in a specific app, and cross app folders which show up in every app. I think the best way to present the info is by spliting the list into two like I did in the attached screen shot.

Does this look good?

script_bay_settings.png

> what categories should I include by default?

I would opt for this: Indesign: text (maybe too general), Find/change, notes, tables, graphics, index

Of the other apps, I use only PhotoShop and have so few scripts that categorisation isn't useful. Dreamweaver I use biut haven't scripted it.

Okay. I'll start with a few default categories, and add them as we go...

Harbs

• 15. Re: Script Bay UI suggestions welcome!

> Does this look good?

Very!

• 16. Re: Script Bay UI suggestions welcome!
                                        Harbs. Level 6

Thanks! UI design takes an awfully long time...

Do you think there's a reason to allow a category hierarchy? (i.e. allow subcategories in a tree format)

I'm leaning towards make the category structure flat. (It's easier to implement like that, and I think allowing a hierarchy makes it unnecessarily complicated.)

Harbs

• 17. Re: Script Bay UI suggestions welcome!

If flat is less complicated then that's the way to go, I guess.

P.