10 Replies Latest reply on Oct 18, 2010 9:31 AM by Jim_Simon

CS5 to Encore

Will24185924

Can anyone tell me this, if I edit my video then use the dynamic link to send to Encore will the end rendering in encore be improved as in Prem Pro CS5 with the approved Card installed.

Will

• 1. Re: CS5 to Encore
          John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

As far as I know, Encore is still 32bit due to the licensed Roxio components, and therefore does not have the 64bit hardware MPE code from Premiere

• 2. Re: CS5 to Encore
            Stan Jones Adobe Community Professional & MVP

But EN is using AME to transcode, right?  Does AME use MPE hardware rendering?

• 3. Re: CS5 to Encore
              Todd_Kopriva Level 8

>  Does AME use MPE hardware rendering?

No.

(Of course, when you send something from Premiere Pro to AME, the part that is done within Premiere Pro can be CUDA-accelerated, but Adobe Media Encoder itself doesn't use such acceleration.)

• 4. Re: CS5 to Encore
                Powered by Design Level 4

@Todd

We knew way ahead of time that Premiere CS5 was going to be 64bit.

Is Encore heading towards 64bit too ?

Anything that makes encoding faster would be good.

GLenn

• 5. Re: CS5 to Encore
                  Todd_Kopriva Level 8

> Is Encore heading towards 64bit too ?

Sorry, but I can't comment on that right now. I hope that you know that as soon as we're able to talk about such things, we will.

• 6. Re: CS5 to Encore
                    Brett Delmage Level 1

Even worse,  Adobe Media Encoder isn't even multi-threaded, at least in its encoding.

One would hope that because its core processing is hobbled by being a single-threaded design that AME would process the independent files in the queue in parallel. But as Todd says: "No" applies here too.

And you can't even start more than one instance of Adobe Media Encoder to render different source files in parallel. It won't let you start more than one instance.

Adobe Media Encoder simply won't let you use the 8 CPUs you have in your i7 processor at all. As I found out his week trying to work around a Premiere bug, six or seven of your 8 CPUs just sit there idling, while Adobe Media Encoder rendering takes hours and hours.

What a shame. It's difficult for me to associate Adobe Media Encoder with the word 'accelerated' in any way.

Brett

• 7. Re: CS5 to Encore
                      Jeff Bellune Adobe Community Professional

That's odd.

AME on my dual quad-core system pegs all 8 cores whenever it needs them.  And that's independent of CUDA.

-Jeff

• 8. Re: CS5 to Encore
                        Harm Millaard Level 7

Brett,

There must be something wrong with your setup, because AME uses all cores. Especially threading with H.264 and MPEG2 is great, AVI is somewhat lacking in the export module, but never have I seen only one core being used. Look below:

12-8-2010 14-16-34.jpg

• 9. Re: CS5 to Encore
                          John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

>Is Encore heading towards 64bit too ?

Todd said he couldn't comment... and I have to wonder if, as well as Adobe's general policy of not commenting on plans, this is also because the actual burning code is licensed from Roxio, and therefore Adobe can't make a 64bit Encore until Roxio updates their code???

I'm sure that if/when this happens, Todd will tell us as soon as the veil of secrecy is lifted

Actually, I'm sure that what a lot of people would like to see is better error reporting out of the Roxio modules to Encore, so Encore could give a better error report when something goes wrong

• 10. Re: CS5 to Encore
                            Jim_Simon Level 8

Adobe Media Encoder simply won't let you use the 8 CPUs you have in your i7 processor at all.

It uses all 8 of mine whenever it can with CS4.  (Applying a Magic Bullet Looks effect is sort of a brake on that idea, but otherwise all 8 threads get used.)