3 Replies Latest reply on Oct 19, 2010 5:48 PM by future-architect

multiple splices on an image

future-architect Level 1

i am creating buttons on a phone, and there are five of them.  they each have a link.  i used the splice tool to create a button runover feature.  when exported, the links work, but the rollover does not.  I have the basic image (layer 1).  then i have a web layer with 5 subfolders (one for each button) which contains a splice on the original image.  for my states, i have 6 states: basic, then the 5 different button ones.  basic includes images and splices.  on each of the five individual images, is the splice for each specified button.  what am i doing wrong?   i thought that maybe they each needed their own folders, but that did not turn out to be true.  any ideas?

thanks!!

• 1. Re: multiple splices on an image
          Linda Nicholls Level 4

You are making it very complicated. Try it this way instead. First, delete what you have already done. Don't worry about Layers and states and web layers, folders, etc. Fireworks will handle that for you.

1. Create the button shape you want and then convert it to a button Symbol [Modify > Symbol > Convert to Symbol > Button]

2. Double click on your new button symbol to open the button editor.

3. You'll find a new menu in the Properties panel that enables you to create states for your button. Add your number or text to the "Up state".

4. Once you are satisfied with the button states, click on the left pointing arrow at the top of the document window to exit the button editor.

5. Test your button by clicking on the Preview button at the top of the document window.

6. Place copies of your button symbol to the locations you want in your document by dragging them from the "Document Library" panel.

7. Customise the text on each instance of your button symbol by clicking on it and then changing the text in the text box on the Properties panel.

Let us know how it goes.

• 2. Re: multiple splices on an image
            Jim_Babbage Level 4

It sounds like the OP has a total of six states for the button, if I'm understanding correctly. If that  is the case, the button symbol won't work as it will only do a max of  the standard four button states. :-(

• 3. Re: multiple splices on an image
              future-architect Level 1

ok, did a nav slice image at the top of this page which worked: http://labtechwebdesign.com/index3.  I guess if I do it just like this, it will work?