3 Replies Latest reply on Oct 18, 2010 7:07 AM by Mylenium

Big Prores 4444 files

Leiski

Hi,

I'm working in FCP 7 in Prores 4444. I want to be able to export straight out of After Effects and import into my timeline but for some reason whenever I create a Prores 4444 file it's bigger than the same length clip exported from FCP in the Prores 4444 and trips up FCP when playing.

I've looked at the two files and the original has a bit rate of 190.16 Mbit/s and the one out of After Effects has a bit rate of 257.97 Mbit/s. I'm currently using CS3 although has also tried the trial CS5 and there doesn't appear to be any useable bit rate controls. Anyone know what am I doing wrong?

Many thanks in advance for any tips anyone can give.

Leigh

• 1. Re: Big Prores 4444 files
          Mylenium Most Valuable Participant

There is nothing wrong. As a compositing app, AE only does limited temporal compression - a frame that is not yet rendered can simply not be analysed for compression. Because of that, it realyl doesn't matter which CoDec you use, because it needs to be re-rendered and conformed in FCP again. Enforce a timeline render in FCP or use PNG and otehr CoDecs when rendering from AE, so the conform already happens on import into FCP - whichever you prefer.

Mylenium

• 2. Re: Big Prores 4444 files
            Leiski Level 1

Hi Mylenium,

Thanks for your response. Can I just clarify what you are saying? Are you saying there is no way to export from After Effects and bring that movie file straight into a Final Cut Pro Timeline and it play without rendering in FCP?

regards,

Leigh

• 3. Re: Big Prores 4444 files
              Mylenium Most Valuable Participant

It is possible with the older ProRes 422, but as far as I can tell not with ProRes 444.

Mylenium