3 Replies Latest reply on Oct 18, 2010 6:29 AM by Todd_Kopriva

Mask Reusing

Buqpa

Hello everyone!
      I trying to reuse mask in AE (CS3) without copying them. I mean the following:

I have several videos to be masked by the very same mask. I would like to avoid having a "mask layer" for each video (there are like 200 videoclips).

It would be perfect if the same layer could be used several times.

I'm projecting the video result on a wall and I'm using these mask to cut the clip in such a way it fits a shap on the wall. Each installation the wall is different, so even it is ok to re-render the video each time the installation change its place, have to re-shape 200mask layers is too time consuming! If I could re-use them, only re-shaping one would be enough

I have look thruogh the threads but found no one that could help me

Regards,

Buqpa!

• 1. Re: Mask Reusing
          Todd_Kopriva Level 8

If I were faced with what you describe, I'd probably use a precomposition as a track matte. I could then reuse that same precomposition hundreds of times and change all of the instances by making a change within the single nested composition.

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Mask Reusing
            Buqpa Level 1

Uhmmm sounds cool. Let's see if I got it right:

I make in a different (pre)composition a mask with all the mini-mask I want to use. Then if I need to change something, I can do it in the pre-composition only once. Is this OK?

This will help but does not avoid copying the precomposed mask as many times as clips I have, does it? Even this is is great advance, it would be better if I only had to have one mask for all the videos

Thanks a lot indeed!

• 3. Re: Mask Reusing
              Todd_Kopriva Level 8

It seems that you understand. If you're not clear on how track mattes work, be sure to read the page that I pointed to in my previous post.