1 Reply Latest reply on Oct 18, 2010 11:48 PM by Tai Lao

ACR-adjusted tiffs -- trouble actioning

Gyno-jiz Level 5

I'm trying to leverage the ACR interface for certain users employing actions. I'd like to create a merged copy of the a doc (with many layers) and save out as a TIF, then reopen as a "camera raw" (CR) file. This process works fine, and you can even open this CR tif as a normal tif and plain save to update the content. Nicely done. But when _actioning_ any open as SO, place as SO, or open as CR the "assignment" to a CR tiff is skipped. I'm not sure how this assignment to CR is registered by the ACR plugin, but it just won't record as an action step (unless you toggle the dialogue checkbox, at which point it works, but certainly not as desired).

I think the above "bug" was experienced by Jeff a while back when someone was trying to open a batch of raw files as SOs in PS.

Is there any way to action adjusting the current PSD in ACR? What are users doing to keep (raw) files editable in light of the healing tools and painting?

Cross-posted in PS Mac forum.

• 1. Re: ACR-adjusted tiffs -- trouble actioning
          Level 4

By now I must have read your cross post in both forums about five times, yet I cannot follow what you are trying to convey.  Must be my old age.

J Maloney wrote:

…I'd like to create a merged copy of the a doc (with many layers) and save out as a TIF, then reopen as a "camera raw" (CR) file…

First, one cannot open a TIFF "as a camera raw (CR)" file.  You can open a single-layer TIFF in Camera Raw, but it won't contain any RAW data.

Second, you cannot reopen a camera-raw-adjusted TIFF as "as a camera raw (CR)" file, for the same reason:  it contains no raw data whatsoever.  You can open it in Camera raw, though.

J Maloney wrote:

…a merged copy of the a doc (with many layers) and save out as a TIF, then reopen as a "camera raw" (CR) file. This process works fine, and you can even open this CR tif as a normal tif and plain save to update the content. Nicely done…

Third, if you manage to to open a "camera-raw-adjusted TIFF" directly in Photoshop—how you do that is a different matter—bypassing Camera Raw, then you necessarily MUST be disregarding the ACR adjustments, as Photoshop cannot read them without the benefit of ACR.

J Maloney wrote:

…Is there any way to action adjusting the current PSD in ACR?

Forth:  One cannot directly open a PSD in ACR.

Fifth: One cannot open a multi-layered TIFF (or any other flavor of multi-layered file) in ACR.

I am not trying to argue anything, I'm just trying to give you a possible explanation of why you have not received an answer.  I am fairly confident that I am not the only one having trouble following your post.

Wo Tai Lao Le

我太老了

Message was edited by: Tai Lao