7 Replies Latest reply on Oct 19, 2010 9:35 AM by nealeh

MPEG file created automatically during capture

MaineHomes

I have a Lenovo T61 and use Elements 4.0.  My camera is a Canon HV30.  I recorded a HD video that is about 17 to 20 mintues long.  I can capture it in Premier, but don't understand how this happens.  After the capture is complete (and before I do any editing) I save my project.  The project is saved as a Preq file, which in this case is 180KB. There is also an XMP file which is 3.14KB. I not sure what the MMP file is for - but it is not too large.  There is also a MPEG file that is created - and this is large -  at 4.71 Gig.

I don't understand how this MPEG file is created, since I did not render anything.  And it happens fast.  Is this happening correctly or can I turn this off some how?  I only want to create a larger file when the editing is done and I am ready to render the file.

Thanks,

• 1. Re: MPEG file created automatically during capture
          nealeh Level 5

That will be the clip, brought into PRE, from the camera . At the end of the project, when you create a share, you create your output file.

Cheers,
          --
          Neale
          Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your children

• 2. Re: MPEG file created automatically during capture
            MaineHomes Level 1

Thanks.  At what point can this file be deleted?

• 3. Re: MPEG file created automatically during capture
              nealeh Level 5

Only when the project is completed to your satisfaction, your share is complete and you have no intention to reuse the clip. Personally (the cost of disk space being so cheap) I'd use the Project Archiver to save the project to an external disk.

Note that your MPEG is a compressed format at the time you bring it into PRE, when you 'Share', it is recompressed again. If you delete the source file and later do want to reuse the clip, you will have to take it from that previous 'Share'. Then when you 'Share' it anew, it is compressed again. Each compression will degrade quality.

Cheers,
              --
              Neale

• 4. Re: MPEG file created automatically during capture
                MaineHomes Level 1

Neale,

Thanks, thanks for you quick repsonse - this is very helpful, since I am working on a project today and wanted to understand this.  It appears that when working with the Canon files compared to files from my Kodak Zi8, the workflow is different.  The kodak files are QT and can be imported directly into Premiere and do not seem to "create" another file.

If I understand your message correctly, when creating a project using the Canon camcorder, I can have the location of the Pre and the MPEG move sent to an external hard drive instead of my laptop to save space.  I do understand the part about recompressing.

I'm a little confused about Project Archiever.  Is that the same as "Auto Save"?

Regarding Auto Save - is there a way to keep from creating so many auto saves of a project?

Can you take a quick moment to explain what Encoded files are and medai cashe files - do they need to be kept?

Any addtional insight you can provide would be really, really helpful.

Michael

• 5. Re: MPEG file created automatically during capture
                  nealeh Level 5

Michael,

I try and answer your questions below, but I'm getting a distinct feeling that you don't have much free disk space. You really cannot work effectively with PRE (or any other non-linear video editor)  without plenty of free disk space. 30GB free, contiguous space is often recommended. Personally I believe 60GB is the minimum (and even then I've had an out-of-space error on a big project).

Can you give us some details of your PC and disks.

MaineHomes wrote:

Thanks, thanks for you quick repsonse - this is very helpful, since I am working on a project today and wanted to understand this.  It appears that when working with the Canon files compared to files from my Kodak Zi8, the workflow is different.  The kodak files are QT and can be imported directly into Premiere and do not seem to "create" another file.

It depends how you bring the media into PRE.

For example say you connect an SD Card with video files to your PC. This will be recognised as a disk drive by windows and you can drag the clip directly to your timeline and no copy of the file is created. But once you remove that SD card PRE will no longer be able to see the file and will require you to find the clip. I don't recommend you do this though. As a general rule ensure that all your media clips are stored on your local hard disks while working with the project.

If you use the Video Importer in the Get Media view, then the file is copied from your source to your local drive, and that is then the version used within your project.

MaineHomes wrote:

If I understand your message correctly, when creating a project using the Canon camcorder, I can have the location of the Pre and the MPEG move sent to an external hard drive instead of my laptop to save space.  I do understand the part about recompressing.

No, that's not what I meant. While working with a project an external USB drive will not have the performance for smooth video editing. What I was trying to say was that when you have completed the project and want to free up disk space copy the clip to an external drive for safekeeping (rather than just delete it).

MaineHomes wrote:

I'm a little confused about Project Archiever.  Is that the same as "Auto Save"?

Regarding Auto Save - is there a way to keep from creating so many auto saves of a project?

No, they are not the same. The Project Archiver allows you to save (for example to an external USB drive) all the files you have used in your project. Typically you would do this for backup purposes while working on a large project, or for archival purpose when you have completed the project and want to remove its files from your local hard drives. You run it from File> Project Archiver.

For AutoSave, use Edit> Preferences> Auto Save to set the auto-save settings (time and number of backups).

MaineHomes wrote:

Can you take a quick moment to explain what Encoded files are and medai cashe files - do they need to be kept?

PRE never changes your original clip content. As you work with the project and apply cuts, transitions, effects, these are all managed through the use of  'working' files in those folders. You should not delete them until you complete the project. They also include the rendered previews you create when you have red line on your timeline and press [Enter] to render (which makes the line go green).

I hope this helps. You will really find it worthwhile to go to Steve Grisetti's website http://muvipix.com/ and work through his free tutorials (enter 'basic training' into the search box). He has also authored very readable books on both Premiere and Photoshop Elements.

Cheers,
                  --
                  Neale

• 6. Re: MPEG file created automatically during capture
                    MaineHomes Level 1

Neale,

Thanks so much, this is really helpful.  You are right, I am trying to conserve disk space.  My laptop only has 130 gigs of space, yet somewhere all but about 10 to 12 gigs have been gobbled up.  When I was working with the Kodak zi8 files I was creating short 2 to 3 minute videos and not having a problem.  I would simply import them from my SD card.  I have been creating and rendering all in one session - and the small video files are indeed on my hard drive.

The canon camera is not mine - just testing it out to see if I could actually use it and create something.  Therefore was really surprised by the size of the MPEG file that was created, for just over 15 mintues of tape.  In any case, I've been considering a new laptop and buying a "real" HD camera - but have been afraid of AVCHD files and their processing.  Thought I could maybe handle the tape better.

Thanks again, I have a better "conceptual" understanding of what is going on.  I will also visit the tutorials you suggested.

• 7. Re: MPEG file created automatically during capture
                      nealeh Level 5

12GB free is nowhere near enough to run PRE -  Standard Definition footage runs at around 12GB per hour (uncompressed)!

I highly recommend SpaceSniffer, find lost disk space the easy way. for identifying what is eating up your space.

This article from Tips & Tricks will also help you Clean, Lean & Mean Editing Machine - One Workflow. There are plenty of tips for optimising your PC, including a few of mine specifically about reclaiming disk space (reply 17).

Cheers,
                      --
                      Neale