6 Replies Latest reply on Oct 20, 2010 3:02 PM by Marcme

BROWSER PROBLEM- ACRO 6.0, READER 9.0

Marcme

Hi, All

I'm using IE, under Win XP Pro.  Usual problem- pdf pages on the web try to open with Acrobat 6.0, instead of Reader 9.

Reader 9 was installed first, acrobat 6 afterwards.  Reader 9 has all the updates.

So far I've:

Unticked "Display PDF in browser" in 6

Ticked "Display PDF in browser" in 9

Made sure pdf file association is 9

Changes registry key to point to "C:\Program Files\Adobe\Reader9.0\Reader\AcroRd32exe"

No luck, still gives "Currently running... requires 8 or 9..." error message.

Any help will be welcomed.

Thanks

• 1. Re: BROWSER PROBLEM- ACRO 6.0, READER 9.0
          ~graffiti Adobe Community Professional & MVP

It's not recommended nor supported to have those two products on the same machine.

The one thing that "sometimes" works is to uninstall Reader then reinstall it.

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: BROWSER PROBLEM- ACRO 6.0, READER 9.0
            Marcme Level 1

~graffiti

Thanks for the answer.  I find it somewhat strange, as Acrobat is a paid for (expensive!) piece of supposedly stand-alone software and the free Reader (albeit newer) cannot run with it... leaves me with the feeling that, while it may have been a glitch originally, it now seems a way to sell more software...

I'll try the Reader re-install.

Thanks again

• 3. Re: BROWSER PROBLEM- ACRO 6.0, READER 9.0
              Marcme Level 1

~graffiti

Well, the re-install worked for me.

Many thanks.

• 4. Re: BROWSER PROBLEM- ACRO 6.0, READER 9.0
                ~graffiti Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Marcme wrote:

~graffiti

Thanks for the answer.  I find it somewhat strange, as Acrobat is a paid for (expensive!) piece of supposedly stand-alone software and the free Reader (albeit newer) cannot run with it...

It's mostly because the two applications are vary similar in nature (you can almost consider Reader a very stripped down version of Acrobat. Therefore, they share many resources with each other. That causes them to battle with each other.

For the most part, if You have Acrobat you wouldn't need Reader at all but I understand that you have an older version of Acrobat and may have need to view newer version PDF files. Unfortunately, having these little idiosyncrasies is something that you have to put up with in this situation.

I wish it were different but I'm glad that fixed your issue.

• 5. Re: BROWSER PROBLEM- ACRO 6.0, READER 9.0
                  Ankit_Jain Adobe Employee

Hi Marcme,

The issue that you were facing was due to the fact that your Adobe Acrobat 6.0 was set as the default PDF viewing application internally and hence, when you tried opening any PDF in the browser, it popped up an error message stating that you need version 8 or 9 to view PDFs in browsers.

While reinstalling Adobe Reader, you must have received a window presenting you with an option asking which application you want to associate with PDFs henceforth, and you must have chosen Adobe Reader (or it may have been the selected choice by default). Hence, after you reinstalled Reader 9 again, you default association for PDFs changed to Adobe Reader, and voila no error messages..!!

Ankit

1 person found this helpful
                  • 6. Re: BROWSER PROBLEM- ACRO 6.0, READER 9.0
                    Marcme Level 1

Hi, Ankit

Thanks for the further information, confirming what I thought.  I suspect that if I'd changed all my Registry entries to point to Reader 9, that would have cured the problem as well.

BTW: when re-installing 9, there was no diplay of an association window.

Regards