16 Replies Latest reply on Oct 31, 2010 3:09 PM by bvcoen

No Audio on .MTS files in Premier Elements 7

bvcoen Level 1

I have Pre 7 and cannot get my Panasonic MTS files to play audio.   Is there away to fix this in Version 7 or do I need to upgrade to Version

9.   (and...  if I upgrade to V9 will I be able to play them?)

Brad

• 1. Re: No Audio on .MTS files in Premier Elements 7
          nealeh Level 5

Cheers,
          --
          Neale
          Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your children

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: No Audio on .MTS files in Premier Elements 7
            Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

I'm with Neale.

You've most likely got a mismatch between project settings and camcorder.

What model is your camcorder? Is it shooting in true AVCHD? Is it 1920x1080 AVCHD or 1440x1080, and is it shooting in stereo or 5.1 audio? There are project presets for each.

Also, do ensure you have the latest version of Quicktime from Apple.com, which plays a major role in all PC-based video editing and playback.

1 person found this helpful
            • 3. Re: No Audio on .MTS files in Premier Elements 7
              bvcoen Level 1

Thanks for the reply...

I have a Panasonic HDC-HS100 shooting AVCHD at 1920x1080. And yes, I have the latest Quicktime...  The manual says the onboard mike is 5.1 audio and the external mike is 2 channels.  I have clips of both and neither work.

Any chance this has something to do with using an onboard sound card?  The reason I ask is...  I loaded Pre 7 onto an older PC running Windows XP and the sound works.  One notable difference is the old PC has a 5.1 dolby sound card and the new PC has a realtek on board sound card.  Also, I must not understand presets...  the sound plays on the old PC if I choose NTSC-AVCHD-FULL HD1080i 30 5.1 CHANNEL...  or... NTSC-DV-STANDARD 48khz

Brad

• 4. Re: No Audio on .MTS files in Premier Elements 7
                Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

You do want to ensure you set your project up at a 1920x1080 AVCHD with 5.1 audio or you could have problems editing or outputting your video.

• 5. Re: No Audio on .MTS files in Premier Elements 7
                  bvcoen Level 1

Will do... Any comment on

the on-board sound card vs an add on sound card.  Or, is there no relationship?

• 6. Re: No Audio on .MTS files in Premier Elements 7
                    nealeh Level 5

Make sure you have the most recent Realtek drivers from http://www.realtek.com.tw/DOWNLOADS/. As you say the PC is an older model it is most likely the AC'97 you need.

Under  Edit> Preferences> Audio Hardware you will probably have more  than one choice. Try all available choices to see if any of them work.

1.png

Cheers,
                    --
                    Neale

• 7. Re: No Audio on .MTS files in Premier Elements 7
                      bvcoen Level 1

Thanks, I appreciate the comments...

I do have the latest drivers, but I only have one choice, just PREMIER ELEMENTS WINDOW SOUNDS.

I keep going back to...  is this an issue with an onboard sound card vs and add-in sound card.

• 8. Re: No Audio on .MTS files in Premier Elements 7
                        nealeh Level 5

Although it might be, I don't think onboard v add-in sound cards can definitely be stated as the problem. I can offer two suggestions though:

1. Put the sound card from the older PC into the newer one and see if sound works
                        2. Unlink the video/audio in your clip, export the audio and convert it in Audacity: Free Audio Editor and Recorder to PCM 48kHZ 16-bit, replace the original sound track with the converted one. Note that you may need to open a new project with Stereo rather than 5.1 sound for this test. See if the sound now works.

Cheers,
                        --
                        Neale

• 9. Re: No Audio on .MTS files in Premier Elements 7
                          the_wine_snob Level 9

I agree with Neale. The only issues that I have seen with Audio are specific to certain cards, and there is no real difference between an embedded chip and an add-on card. Most of the issues have come from USB Audio devices, and as I mentioned, are pretty specific to the device.

For general Audio trouble-shooting, this ARTICLE might be useful.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 10. Re: No Audio on .MTS files in Premier Elements 7
                            bvcoen Level 1

Thanks to all...  you guys are impressive!

I did not follow your suggestion exactly but I did have a copy of AVS Video Converter, so I converted one of the MTS files to MPEG and it plays fine ( both audio and video)  However, for some reason it will only load the new MPEG into Video 4 and Audio 4.

I will change sound cards this weekend and see what happens.  I am still thinking an add on card will play MTS (though I get it may not be due to onboard vs add-on per se, it may be due to some issue within PrE 7 recognizing a PCI card differently than an on board card)

So, next question...  is there a reason I do not want to convert MTS to MPEG to put together my project?

Brad

• 11. Re: No Audio on .MTS files in Premier Elements 7
                              nealeh Level 5

The loading into higher tracks is usually a mismatch between your Project Setting and the Clip. If you are using the same Project Setting, you used when the clip was MTS, for your converted MPEG that is probably why.

• What resolution and audio settings (5.1 or Stereo) were the original MTS files?
                              • What Project Preset did you use for the original project?
                              • What resolution and audio settings are the MPEG file you converted to?
                              • If you created a new project for the MPEG version what Project Preset did you use?

For your conversion question, it depends on what MPEG settings you used during conversion - you may well be losing considerable detail if you chose 'wrong'. From their web site I see that AVS can write to .m2t  (aka HDV) files. This is the recommended format for HiDef in PRE7 and I suggest you try that one out.

I'll be very interested in the outcome of putting your sound card into your PC - in  a way I'm rather hoping it fails (sorry) because I'm not convinced that (provided you have the most recent drivers) the sound hardware is the problem and it would be good to get you up and running without the need for a hardware upgrade. I suggest you turn off the onboard audio in the BIOS after you put the card in for your test.

I note that we haven't asked the usual questions about your PC specs so you might want to take a look at Got a Problem? How to Get Started and give us the requested detail.

Cheers,
                              --
                              Neale

• 12. Re: No Audio on .MTS files in Premier Elements 7
                                bvcoen Level 1

Thanks for your patience...

The PC is intel based  I-7 930 quad 2.8 GHZ

MSI X58-M i7 mother board

6 GB DDR3

ATI HD4890 Video Card with 1 GB ram

500GB HD (I will add a second soon)

AC 97 Direct 3D sound integrated

Windows 7 pro 64 bit

Pre 7 and CS4 are loaded on the PC

I have converted the file to m2t. and the video is very good... and (at least) I have static coming through the speakers, but no sound.  I tried every setting and the results are the same.  (the m2t converted at 1920 x 1080, fr 24, 48000kHz-compressed-sterio)

To answer your other questions...

I guess I do not know how to tell (for sure) what audio/video settings I am using.

my camera (Panasonic HDC-HS100) says it is 1080i with 5.1 audio

The properties box says 1920 x 1080...  and there is no audio info listed

I have tried all combinations of the presets with no luck (I have not created any custom ones)

The MPEG I created that worked is...  720 x 480, fr 29.97, 48000 kz-compressed-stereo

I used NTSC-DV-Standard 48 kHz  (but, it works in all of the settings I use)

I appologise for being such a rookie at this

Brad

• 13. Re: No Audio on .MTS files in Premier Elements 7
                                  nealeh Level 5

Assuming you are in NTSC land:

• Convert your file to m2t using:
                                    • Video: 29.97fps (or 30 if AVS does not show 29.97).
                                    • Audio: PCM 16bit stereo sound at 48000Hz (this may be described as a .WAV format).
                                  • Create a new project "NTSC HDV 1080i 30".
                                  • Load your clip to that and see how that works.

Cheers,
                                  --
                                  Neale

• 14. Re: No Audio on .MTS files in Premier Elements 7
                                    bvcoen Level 1

OK...  tried some stuff this weekend.  Still can't play .MTS files...

I tried an add-on sound card, didn't work... (Which should make you happy )  But, I did get new choices under PREFERENCES .. AUDIO HW...  much like the picture you attached above.  I tried all combinations to no avail.

Also, I need to correct something I said...  I converted the vidoes to M2TS (not M2T) AVS Video Converter does not have an option for M2T

(re: coverted MTS to M2TS, the videos play but only hear static on the speakers)  I could not choose the options you recomended above because AVS has them grayed out.  You can only use a handful of pre-made profiles.

So, back to MPEG...

Am I OK converting to MPEG if I use the AVS profile HD VIDEO 1080P - (MPEG-2, 15000 kbps, 1920x1080, 29.97 fps)

I am not making a Hollywood production, but it is important to me to have a good quality movie when I am done.

Brad

• 15. Re: No Audio on .MTS files in Premier Elements 7
                                      nealeh Level 5

I think all you can do is try it and see. If you can post a small section of one of your videos online (less than 30MB please - I have a slow Internet connection) I'll see if it plays in my PRE7.

Cheers,
                                      --
                                      Neale

• 16. Re: No Audio on .MTS files in Premier Elements 7
                                        bvcoen Level 1

OK - A week has gone by and I purchased and read Steve's book (Very good book and I learned a ton).  I now get that I should probably converting my videos to AVI.  Everything I have tried with AVI's seems to work.  Thanks to everyone for their help.  I still have some questions so I started another chain about PrE 7 AVI presets.

Thanks Brad