8 Replies Latest reply on Oct 26, 2010 12:27 PM by JumpCat4

How to cut part of video

JumpCat4 Level 1

I know this is a newbie question, but I would like to know how to do something on a sequence.  I have several 90 minute video clips that I need to remove the first 30 minutes or so.  Currently I use the razor tool to cut the sequence at the right spot then slide the remaining video to the home position.  Is there a better or easier way to do this?

• 1. Re: How to cut part of video
          shooternz Level 6

Yes ... there is a more precise way.

Place your source footage in tghe Source Monitor.  Go to start where you want a start and enter an In Point.

Go to where you want to end ...and enter an Out Point.

Drag it to the timeline  ( the easy way) or use the short cut keys for Insert /Overlay.      :  "I" or "O"

You need to read up a bit on "Targeting the Tracks" as well.

• 2. Re: How to cut part of video
            the_wine_snob Level 9

Along with Craig's suggestion, if you have the Clip on the Timeline, you can hold down Ctrl, and drag the Head of that Clip, to establish a new In-Point, and this will also move your altered Clip Instance to the beginning of the Timeline, with your new In-Point at 00;00;00;00.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 3. Re: How to cut part of video
              JumpCat4 Level 1

Here is the next step, which is a bit more of a problem for me.  I take the original clip and open in the source monitor.  I then apply an in-point and an out-point, then move to the timeline.  Next I add JPG pictures that I created from PowerPoint slides.  The JPG's are placed on the timeline above the main video so they will take precedence over the main video.  I then move this clip (group of timelines) into Encore (forgot the PP command) to add menus and then burn.  The original PP timeline then needs to be trimmed to remove part of the beginning.  This I can do as mentioned, but then when I move the timeline to time = 0.0, the JPG's are out of position because they do do not move with the original timeline.  Is there a way to move both timelines (and the audio timeline) and maintain the relative position of all three?

• 4. Re: How to cut part of video
                Jim_Simon Level 8

Look up Ripple Delete in the Help file.

After that, probably a good idea to keep reading.  This is all pretty basic stuff well covered in the directions for the program.

• 5. Re: How to cut part of video
                  the_wine_snob Level 9

If I follow what you need, you can just Delete that additional intro material, and either Ripple Delete, per Jim's suggestion, or even just do a Ctrl+A (Select All) after the regular deletion, and then drag the remaining Assets to 00;00;00;00 en masse.

If I missed what you need to accomplish, ignore my suggestion, and let me know where I went wrong.

Good luck,

Hunt

1 person found this helpful
                  • 6. Re: How to cut part of video
                    gtacyclist Level 1

For cutting multiple video/audio layers at a single point, I select them all then press Ctrl+K. The tracks will be cut at the point where the vertical red bar is.

• 7. Re: How to cut part of video
                      davidbeisner2010 Level 3

The easiest way I've found to move clips around (forward or backward) on multiple layers within my timelines, is to press the "A" key on the keyboard, which will switch to the Track Select Tool (selecting all clips on a single track AT and AFTER the clip you click on), then drag back and forth... if you want to drag clips on multiple tracks and maintain your edit points, hold down the shift key along with A (Shift+A) and you'll select ALL clips on ALL tracks AT and AFTER the point where you clicked, and you can then drag these wherever you'd like and all your alignments will remain intact. Also, check out the tutorial videos that came on your tutorial DVD in your CS5 package... They're from www.lynda.com and they'll really help you out.

Good luck!

• 8. Re: How to cut part of video
                        JumpCat4 Level 1

Actually, the CNTRL-A and using the marquee tool did what I needed.  Thanks everyone.