8 Replies Latest reply on Jul 20, 2007 10:02 AM by Newsgroup_User

how did you learn flash?

OheneCoker
      I am a newbie to flash. I want to learn actionscript 3 with flash cs3 pro. I have tried many tutorials and books but they are all b.s 'cause when I try things out they never work.
      Can anyone out there please direct me to some sought of good, reliable set of tutorials for flash cs3 pro which actually works. Pleeeeaaase
        • 1. Re: how did you learn flash?
          jcarruth@earthlink.net Level 1
          Ohene,

Try looking at the Flash CS3 Tutorials on Lynda.com. You can preview some of the movies for free to see if you want to sign up, and then you can sign up for as little as $25 a month. I have found the quality consistently good.

jcarruth
          • 2. Re: how did you learn flash?
            Rothrock Level 5
            Well most of the books and tutorials I use work just fine. You just have to follow them closely. My guess would be that you aren't so good at following directions. ;) Nothing wrong with that we all have our ways of learning, so I would suggest that further tutorials and books probably won't be too helpful.

I learned mostly by answering questions here on these forums.

The other way I learned a lot was to download samples and poke around in them. Back in the day I downloaded a lot of examples from flashkit.com
            • 3. Re: how did you learn flash?
              Rothrock,

"My guess would be that you aren't so good at following directions." What makes you assume that? Any evidence other than your own predjudice that Ohene is not very good at following directions? Or did you ever stop to consider that the directions she has been given are just plain poorly written. No, of course not, cause YOU can follow them.

Why does this comment sound so typical of the arrogant programeratti who hate newbies because we're so needy? Is it possible that we've read the directions over and over and simply can't make it work no matter how hard we try? Now what do you say to that?

Is it possible that 99.9% of the books out there assume some prior knowledge of programming, and therefore are impossible to follow for newbies? Of course not. It's our fault. We can' read is all.

This kind of comment says loudly and clearly to me: Newbies not allowed. "You're too dumb to follow instructions like me (Rothrock)."

Can we kindly refrain from the arrogant judgemental programerrati attitudes which tell us we're simply not good enough, and concentrate instead on how to make the task of learning how to write code a joyous and exciting one, even for us lowly beginners?

I promise to stop criticizing arrogant programeratti if you guys can refrain from judgemental comments that infer we're too dumb to follow instructions. If you're so smart, how about writing books that explain it in simple, clear language that anyone can understand, instead assuming that we don't get it because we can't read. We DO read - over and over and over. We DON'T understand - there's a big difference. Can you please try and wrap your imagination around that, or are you too wrapped up in your own superiority?

I've seen this attitude over and over again with programmers who know their stuff but can't be bothered to help newbies without a nice helping of judgement grief on the side. They've forgotten how it was for them the first day they set out to learn programming. Did some bully programmer way back then clout you over the head too, calling you "Dummkopf," and now you feel you have the right to do it to us?

Instead of assuming we can't read or follow instructions, why not try asking for specific instances of where things are going wrong, and what instructions we're trying to follow, and then try to break it down from there? I know, I know, this is WAY too much work for you when a simple "you're not good enough will do."

To those wonderful, helpful programmers who give of their time and really try to help, please forgive me. This message was not aimed at you. Just the arrogant programmeratti who can't be bothered with newbies. I am sure if you are kind enough to help us without judgement, you can also spot the self-serving assumptions made by these people and know that you are not of their ilk. Your kind will go on to become the great teachers of the world. The others? Well just shove food under the door and wait for their great code to be delivered. Hopefully they won't have to have too much human contact along the way because God knows they've got NO social skills.

I mean, isn't it obvious?

yours,
              jcarruth
              • 4. Re: how did you learn flash?
                Rothrock Level 5
                jcarruth@earthlink.net – The comment was not directed toward you and you obviously have a large chip on your shoulder. And you need to get over it. There is nothing judgemental in what I said. There is nothing that says go away. There is nothing that says you are not worthy. If you see that it is from you – not me.

If you read stuff over and over and over and it makes no sense, then perhaps reading stuff over and over isn't the way you learn. So why would recommending more things to read over and over be any type of kindness or help?

So I suggested two other approaches that worked well for me and could possibly help the OP.

As for asking for specifics. The OP has rejected all books and tutorials as b.s. Perhaps the OP or you could ask specific questions to which specific answers could be given. I have done lots and lots of books and tutorials, most all of them WORK if you just type what is given in them correctly. Explaining why and what it means is where most tutorials fall short.

I answer all kinds of questions here for all kinds of people – newbies and advanced a like. I have been here a long time and seen that a lot of people learn in a lot of ways.
                • 5. Re: how did you learn flash?
                  Rothrock,

Then my comments weren't directed at you. You're one of the good guys I praised in my post. You just had me fooled with your "My guess would be that you aren't so good at following directions," comment is all. That sounded like one of them OTHER guys we all know about.

Apologies.

jcarruth
                  • 6. Re: how did you learn flash?
                    Level 7
                    Hi,

I was telling jcarruth that I was thinking of starting some on my own
                    site. That personal touch never hurts. Any suggestions?

Patrick

OheneCoker wrote:
                    > I am a newbie to flash. I want to learn actionscript 3 with flash cs3 pro. I
                    > have tried many tutorials and books but they are all b.s 'cause when I try
                    > things out they never work.
                    > Can anyone out there please direct me to some sought of good, reliable set of
                    > tutorials for flash cs3 pro which actually works. Pleeeeaaase
                    >

--
                    http://www.baynewmedia.com
                    Faster, easier, better...ActionScript development taken to new heights.
                    Download the BNMAPI today. You'll wonder how you ever did without it!
                    Available for ActionScript 2.0/3.0.
                    • 7. Re: how did you learn flash?
                      Patrick,

I went on your site to download the BNMAPI. Couldn't find it. Is that something you have to join up first to be able to download?

Thanks,
                      jcarruth
                      • 8. Re: how did you learn flash?
                        Level 7
                        No, just go the ActionScript 2.0 forum. There's a sticky post entitled
                        "BNMAPI v1.0 download" with a link at the bottom. Or use this URL :) :
                        http://www.baynewmedia.com/download/BNMAPI10.zip

Patrick

jcarruth@earthlink.net wrote:
                        > Patrick,
                        >
                        > I went on your site to download the BNMAPI. Couldn't find it. Is that something you have to join up first to be able to download?
                        >
                        > Thanks,
                        > jcarruth

--
                        http://www.baynewmedia.com
                        Faster, easier, better...ActionScript development taken to new heights.
                        Download the BNMAPI today. You'll wonder how you ever did without it!
                        Available for ActionScript 2.0/3.0.