Couple of questions for you:
1. During recording, when you type text, do you see tooltips come up?
2. What application are you trying to record on?
3. Go to the preferences dialog at Recording -> Mode(s): Demonstration ( assuming you are recording in 'demonstration' mode) - Is the check-box "Convert Tooltips to Rollover Captions' checked?
Do let us know your observations.
These are the answers:
1) There are tooltips when typing.
2) The recording is done on SAP ABAP Editor - a program editor that recognises the beginning of instructions and offers automatic completion of the statement element.
3) The check-box "Convert Tooltips to Rollover Captions' in NOT checked
Is there any proviosion in SAP ABAP Editor that restricts the appearence of these tooltips while a user types? If yes, then I would advise you to turn on this provision and then try your workflow.
Sorry, but the program does not allow to switch off the auto complete funtionality.