9 Replies Latest reply on Oct 20, 2010 11:51 AM by the_wine_snob

Rolling title that fades away

acmputr Level 1

Hi,

Thanx in advance for your help.

I am making a kids music DVD.  It has 6 songs with video of kids (5-7 year olds) making the movements that go along with each song.  Rolling up from the bottom are the lyrics of the song.  The lyrics come in hard at the bottom of the screen in white and scroll up about 1/3 of the screen before changing to black with a hard end.   I use the ramp effect in the titler to do the change to black but what I want is to fade to transparent for a soft exit when the lyrics scroll off.   That hard cut off of the scrolling lyrics/title about 1/3 of the way up is not good.  Is there a way to soften the text as it ends about 1/3 of the way up the screen?   I have CS5 production Suite but am not knowledgable in Affter Effects. I was going to try Affter Effects but thought timing the scrolling lyrics to match the song would be too hard from there.

thanx,

mel

• 1. Re: Rolling title that fades away
          Colin Brougham Level 6

Drop a Linear Wipe effect (Video Effects > Transitions) on the title. Adjust angle, completion and feather as needed.

• 2. Re: Rolling title that fades away
            the_wine_snob Level 9

I use a Track Matte Keying Effect, but think that Colin's way is easier...

Good luck,

Hunt

1 person found this helpful
            • 3. Re: Rolling title that fades away
              Level 4

I came across this thread and decided to try it as I never did before...

--------------

Drop a Linear Wipe effect (Video Effects > Transitions) on the title.  Adjust angle, completion and feather as needed.

--------------

Trying that it just moved up with the scrolling text...   ??  Got nice feather, angle, etc but the whole thing scrolls as part of text

Trying it on video layer it became a sort of alpha channel where the black of video lets white title text show through...

weird..

gonna try some sort of track matte thing...haven't figured that out in my head yet...hmmm...

is fun trying stuff others are also trying..hope this didnt /doesnt distract from the original post

• 4. Re: Rolling title that fades away
                Level 4

my head hurts...got this far and am still puzzled how to make it work...LOL...

losing half my video with the linear wipe in black video ( made title in psd not titler with ramp)

yikes.jpg

will think about this and try to solve later...haha...fun exercise though

----

but its starting to work...

black video = linear wipe
                video 4 = copy of video 1 with luma key

yikes 2.jpg

about 4 hours later:   updated....below is best I've come up with so far..

yikes 3.jpg

fades nice, cant get rid of black due to blur for soft fade out...

• 5. Re: Rolling title that fades away
                  acmputr Level 1

I threw a linear wipe on the rolling title, set the angle at 180 degrees, tweaked a few things, turned off the ramp and presto! It's exactly what I needed.

Thanx!

• 6. Re: Rolling title that fades away
                    acmputr Level 1

Hi Bill,

If you have the time, please explain the track matte.  How would it work?

Thanx,

Mel

• 7. Re: Rolling title that fades away
                      Level 4

acmputr, do you have video behind the titles ( live video ) for the whole frame ?  Like my samples ?  Or is your screen split ?  I did what you did but I can't get rid of the demarkation between the title fade and the video higher in the frame...

found Bill Hunt's tutorial on crawling title fade out ..am going to try to adapt to my rolling title - using track matte key etc

http://muvipix.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=8191

SUCCESS ! THANK YOU BILL for your tutorial ..wish I'd found it last night ...had to use luma instead of alpha though...strange...but works great !

success.jpg

• 8. Re: Rolling title that fades away
                        acmputr Level 1

The full video is on video track 1, the rolling title is on video track 2.  The title roll screen area is limited to the bottom 1/3 of the screen.  The lyrics roll up and then fade out.  It looks like your sample but the text doesn't come up as far and my fade is faster so I avoid the problem you're having.

Thanx for listing Bill's tutorial on the track matte.  I'm going to look that over.

Mel

• 9. Re: Rolling title that fades away
                          the_wine_snob Level 9

Normally, when doing a Track Matte Keying Effect, I will create my Matte in PS to the specs. that I need. In this case, Video, Title w/ animation, and the Matte, you would arrange the Assets in that order from Video Track 1 through Video Track 3. The Track Matte Keying Effect would be added to the Title, linking to the Matte on Video Track 3. The Matte basically creates a "window" that the Title will be seen "through."

One can usually create the Matte in Titler too, and perhaps add a Gaussian Blur to it, if a "feather" is needed, but I just choose to work in PS for complete control.

I also seldom use a Crawl, or Roll, and instead animate my Titles with Effect>Motion>Position Keyframes.

Good luck,

Hunt

PS - Colin seems to be able to cut right to the chase on some of these things, where I often just do things per my set workflow. I always learn other ways to accomplish the same things with his suggestions, plus I get to explore other Effects too!