0 Replies Latest reply on Oct 19, 2010 12:07 PM by midderin

Flash CS5 file crashes upon opening

midderin

Yesterday at work I was working on a CS5 flash file, and had no problems with it. Saved it, and today it crashes Flash CS5 whenever I open it.

is there any way to recover the file? I do have backed up versions, but I'd be losing days of work if I went back to them.

I tried using this method to fix it, but had no luck:

"I was able to solve this problem for a corrupted .fla file. Here's what I did to solve it:

1 - change the extension of the fla to zip so you can unzip the fla into its folder structure (flv).

2 - within the LIBRARY folder, there is likely some asset that is  causing the problem. you must figure out which one (or more) it is. you  can do this by simply removing files from that folder until your file  opens successfully (open the flv file in the root).
      3 - once you have the xml files that are causing the problem, you can  actually fix them by going in and removing the empty frames. in mine,  the part of the xml i removed looked like this:

[DOMLayer name="Layer 2" color="#9933CC" current="true" isSelected="true"]

[frames/]
      [/DOMLayer]
      [DOMLayer name="Layer 4" color="#FF4FFF"]
      [frames]
      [DOMFrame index="0" keyMode="9728"]
      [elements/]
      [/DOMFrame]
      [/frames]
      [/DOMLayer]
      [DOMLayer name="Layer 3" color="#FF800A"]
      [frames]
      [DOMFrame index="0" keyMode="9728"]
      [elements/]
      [/DOMFrame]
      [/frames]
      [/DOMLayer]

Basically look for any [frames] tags that don't have anything in them.  These are harmless to remove as they are not adding anything to your  file anyway.

Now you can open the .flv and save it as a .fla again if you wish."

I'm using Windows 7, 64 bit version. I'd really appreciate any help. Thanks!