3 Replies Latest reply on Nov 1, 2010 12:23 AM by Peter Flynn (Adobe)

Flash movie not playing in Catalyst

jimsjeep21

I'm a novice to FC, but have some website design experience.

With that said, I'm having a hard time figuring my problem out. I created a interactive tour for the non-profit organization that I work for, everything works perfectly when I preview it in catalyst. However, when I publish it to dreamweaver and import it two things happen when I preview it in a browser. 1. the sound that I have during a mouse over doesn't work. 2. All of my five panels have short 2-3 min. flash movies that will not play.

If I play the swf in dreamweaver everything works, it's just when I preview it in a browser that it fails. I have tried both the "insert swf" option and the html code. In the html code the sound happens during a mouse over but the videos still won't play. I have tried to look through the flash code but can't find the link to my media. Please, Please help.

One more note: I have tried to save the movie in both FLV and FL4 format with no luck either way.

• 1. Re: Flash movie not playing in Catalyst
          jimsjeep21 Level 1

Hi guys it's me again. After looking at the Assets tab in dreamweaver (not my assets folder) I have found that none of my flash or swf files are showing up. Could this be the problem and if so how do I get these files to show up? I've seen other posts that are similar to mine but with no resolution in the end... it there a glitch in the publish or deploy to web setup? I know I've posted a lot of questions I'm just about to pull my hair out and am becoming increasingly frustrated.

• 2. Re: Flash movie not playing in Catalyst
            jimsjeep21 Level 1

I hate when someone posts and doesn't give the forum the results when they figure it out so here it is.... I talked to a buddy of mine and he suggested using the "run-local" files and that did the trick. I'm not sure why the "deploy to web folder" didn't give me the desired output but I got what I needed through the other files. I hope that helps.

• 3. Re: Flash movie not playing in Catalyst
              Peter Flynn (Adobe) Adobe Employee

Hi Jim,

Due to Flash Player security restrictions, you usually can't use the same SWF file both for previewing locally and for uploading to a website.  Basically, the rule of thumb is:

• If you're looking at a file:// URL, you need to use the run-local folder's contents
              • If you're looking at an http:// URL, you need to use the deploy-to-web folder's contents

So, when working locally in Dreamweaver you'll want to use run-local, but then substitute deploy-to-web when you're ready to upload your site to a webserver.  If you want to make sure your substitution worked, you can always upload to a temp "staging" folder on your server and then test it in your browser before going fully live with the content.

- Peter