29 Replies Latest reply on May 5, 2016 9:17 AM by Kevin-Monahan

Auto-Save did not work... Any way to back up my project?

Vaidianu

Hello,

I started a project this morning, a set of interviews shot on Canon 5DII. The footage is about 4 hours. One of the settings was to auto-save every 20min to maximum 5 versions. After about 14 hours of work Premiere just crashed. I got the gray screen and the message to hold down the power button of my mac. After restart I opened the project and the time-line looks exactly how I left it at the lunch brake. Since than I saw several times the auto-save performed, definitely more than 5.

Anybody experiencing same problem? Any way to back up my project? I'm desperate, tomorrow afternoon the interviews must be online on several sites.

Thank you.

• 1. Re: Auto-Save did not work... Any way to back up my project?
          shooternz Level 6

Do a "Save As" Backup as often as you like.

"CTRL-ALT-S"

• 2. Re: Auto-Save did not work... Any way to back up my project?
            Jim_Simon Level 8

Did you open the original project, or one of the auto saved versions?

• 3. Re: Auto-Save did not work... Any way to back up my project?
              Stan Jones Adobe Community Professional & MVP

One of the settings was to auto-save every 20min to maximum 5 versions.

Since than I saw several times the auto-save performed, definitely more than 5.

The autosave will operate every time it is supposed to.  The max saves does not mean it stops saving.  When it gets to save #6, it copies over save #1.  I use more.  There's some discussion here as to whether it will autosave if there have been no changes, but I have seen instances where it will.  Bottom line, use a lot more than 5 autosaves.

Re the suggestion to do a "save as" for backups, I use "save a copy as."   Either way, this is the best way to keep a copy at particular stages that won't be "auto-saved-over."  You can delete these copies when you finish the project.

• 4. Re: Auto-Save did not work... Any way to back up my project?
                shooternz Level 6

"save a copy as." 

Good point Stan....Thats exactly what I do as well.

• 5. Re: Auto-Save did not work... Any way to back up my project?
                  Vaidianu Level 1

Thx all, I opened all the auto-saved versions, and ALL of them are the same, to old to be used. Basically I lost two thirds of my work. That is absolutely unacceptable for a "PRO" application. I will miss the deadline with a simple project and that makes me mad.

• 6. Re: Auto-Save did not work... Any way to back up my project?
                    shooternz Level 6

Not many applications actually have any form of "auto save".

It is the users responsibilty to save incrementals and it is good practice to do so. especially if it is critical.

oThat said...I have never heard  of PPRo Auto saves  .".saving  projects all the same and to old to be used"  (Yours is the first and I suspect user error.)

The User sets the number and time increments for Auto Saves.

• 7. Re: Auto-Save did not work... Any way to back up my project?
                      JaysonM-Y Level 3

I actually set my auto to 5 min.... As i can usually tell when my software is gonna crash when I don't see the auto save box come up(I do this fcp and pp because they randomly crash after not auto saving for a while). Another benefit to that time is that it makes me work faster, trying to get more done before that auto save box comes up to annoy me. I don't mind it, because it rarely happens + I actually have my own built in cmnd+s feature that I use without being aware of it.

• 8. Re: Auto-Save did not work... Any way to back up my project?
                        jeremy d. Level 3

shooternz wrote:

oThat said...I have never heard  of PPRo Auto saves  .".saving  projects all the same and to old to be used"  (Yours is the first and I suspect user error.)

Neither have I.

I also don't hear about Premiere crashing that hard very often, if at all. Premiere tends to throw errors at the user when it crashes, usually with an apologetic yet unsoothing "Sorry" message, but crashing an entire system is not typical behavior at all.

I think you'll find that most people around here are obsessive about saving their work manually and often. I hit Save every few minutes, unconsciously most of the time. Saving is the cheapest project insurance there is.

None of what anyone says at this point can bring back your lost work, but hopefully we can help you avoid this situation in the future.

• 9. Re: Auto-Save did not work... Any way to back up my project?
                          fincaman2 Level 1

I set Autosave to 5 minutes and 10 copies that way you can't loose more than 5 minutes work, you seem to suggest that it is not working, I suggest you open a project set auto save to a short time and sit and watch, you should see it save, then make a change, wait for it to save again, do this several times, then have a look at the backups to see if they reflect the changes you made, if they do autobackup is working. When you quit PP be sure not to save so that your project will stay the same as when you opened it.

• 10. Re: Auto-Save did not work... Any way to back up my project?
                            Alan Craven Level 4

Have you actually checked that the auto-saved projects are not more up to date than your last saved project?

The date and time that Windows 7 displays is not always the actual date and time of the file for over-written files like these where the original file has been replaced by another with the same name..  I think it is the time that that the original file with that name was written.  As is noted above these are over-written once the number limit is reached.

In Windows 7 you have to display the "Date modified" rather than the simple date that is the default.

• 11. Re: Auto-Save did not work... Any way to back up my project?
                              Vaidianu Level 1

Thx all for answers, I feel I have to explain more.

First, I'm not a beginer. I have experience cutting with Media compposer and Final cut.Never used Premiere since version 6 for anything else than tests. Since I read lots of good things about CS5 I thought for 5D footage would be the right tool. And I can say that from this pov it is smooth.

Second, when I started the project I looked into auto-save settings and I felt 20/5 is fine.

Third, I saw the auto-save window comming up and saving more than 5 times in the afternoon and none of this saved version exists. I felt confident and did not save manualy.

Forth, I do not know why it crashed, but I can tell that the whole sistem crashed. I just hip play and all of the sudden the transparent overlay comes down and the message to turn off my mac. So I did accordingly.

After restart I opened Premiere and got o project that was manualy saved just before the lunch breack. Than I oppened all the versions saved by auto-save and they are all identical with this project. Basicly most of my work is not saved.

Fifth, it could be my fault, but any way auto-save did not performed as expected.

I never had to save manually anything when the auto-save existed or was enabled and I did not expect that to be necesary for PPro cs5.

Thx again.

• 12. Re: Auto-Save did not work... Any way to back up my project?

That said...I have never heard  of PPRo Auto saves  .".saving  projects all the same and to old to be used"

Neither have I.

I cannot find the thread I recall fairly recently regarding how auto-save is operating.  But I believe it was demonstrated that auto-save will save even if edits have not been made.  So, for example, with preferences of saves every 5 minutes to a max of 5 could produce a bunch of saves all the same.  (They wou ld not be "too old," however.

Hunt recently linked to an article (http://forums.adobe.com/thread/477920?tstart=60) he put in the PE forum that includes this at the end:

* It has come to my attention that as of PrPro CS3, things have changed with Auto-Save. One does not need to do an initial Save to start Auto-Save, but if left Open, though no editing is being done, the Auto-Save will keep on overwriting the files at the set interval, say every 5 mins.. What this means is that if you leave a Project Open for 25 mins., have the number of Auto-Saves at the default of 5 and the default of every 5 mins., you will have 5 copies of the same Project file. I do not know what Adobe was thinking here, as Auto-Save should not be active, if no editing is being done. I often have a Project Open, but am working in PS, AI, or Encore, so there is no editing being done in PrPro, but there soon will be. I do not want all previous Auto-Saves being overwritten with the same exact file. With PrPro CS3 or higher, I strongly recommend that one does a lot more Save_As and Save_As_a_Copy, than in previous editions, or they might be in for a rude surprise, if they went to lunch, or just left the Project Open for a half-hour.

See that - and the moral of the story?  Don't EVER go to lunch before your project is finished!

• 13. Re: Auto-Save did not work... Any way to back up my project?
                                  jeremy d. Level 3

Not only are you correct, but there is a feature request asking for smarter auto-save.

I would have guessed, though, that there would be a copy of the project that is no more than 20 minutes younger than that crash, even if there are 5 copies of it. Looks like you got a lot done in 20 minutes.

The current behavior seems to mandate that the user develop a Save habit.

• 14. Re: Auto-Save did not work... Any way to back up my project?
                                    shooternz Level 6

The current behavior seems to mandate that the user develop a Save habit.

I agree and would add... also use a BACKUP application to mirror your BACK Up Folder to a different drive or device.

(In case of a drive failure which I have experienced!)

Mirror is better than the alternative cryptic backup method sometimes employed in backup workflows.

I use FBACKUP 4 ...simple and elegant... and I will always do this prior shut down.

• 15. Re: Auto-Save did not work... Any way to back up my project?
                                      neebster2020 Level 1

Stan Jones wrote:

The autosave will operate every time it is supposed to.

With CS5 the autosave feature is very erratic.  I've set it to 5 versions and save every 10 minutes and a whole hour can go by with a lot of editing going on and no autosave.  To me that say that the feature is broken.

In a previous version I used to constantly perform a save of the current project using Ctrl+S, however one day my main project file got corrupted and because I'd been doing a Crtl+S save, no autosave files had been created.  I did try to recover the XML project file using various XML tools, however it was hopeless and I lost several hours of intensive editing.

I therefore now like the knowledge that autosave is creating back-up files.  Well I would if it worked.

I understand that it is ultimately the responsibility of the editor to make sure he/she has a back-up of their project file and the regular use of Save as or Save as Copy is important, however surely someone has some advice or solution to get the autosave feature working reliably.

• 16. Re: Auto-Save did not work... Any way to back up my project?

Stan Jones wrote:

The autosave will operate every time it is supposed to.

With CS5 the autosave feature is very erratic.  I've set it to 5 versions and save every 10 minutes and a whole hour can go by with a lot of editing going on and no autosave.  To me that say that the feature is broken.

I can't argue with that.  I always had a sense in CS3 (but never tested it, never did work in CS4 very much, and have not paid attentiuon in CS5) that it was erratic.  My point in writing the above was that autosave, under some conditions was saving without any change being made in the project.  I agree that autosave needs work.

Where is Jeremy?  Haven't heard from him forever, right?

• 17. Re: Auto-Save did not work... Any way to back up my project?
                                          markandrew2222

Just had the same problem with CS4 Premiere Pro. It was saving every 20 minutes but then crashed when I was done. I looked for the last saved project when I restarted the computer and noticed the last auto save was the previous night.

Looked up the problem and noticed this question here.

I knew Premiere Pro was saving, but since it was never closed down before it crashed it never finished writing the saved file, instead it saves it in the TEMP folder in your local drive's appdata.

I looked there and there was the last auto saved project, so I lost nothing.

So, if anyone ever has a similar problem, just look for your last saved project in the Temp folder...

1 person found this helpful
                                          • 18. Re: Auto-Save did not work... Any way to back up my project?
                                            Vaidianu Level 1

I did this, It helped but I could not fully recover the project.

Thx.

• 19. Re: Auto-Save did not work... Any way to back up my project?
                                              1johnricca Level 1

Not user error. It seems that, with certain setups, once your "maximum versions" has been reached, the program has trouble properly saving over the files. Eventually all of them get re-written but improperly. They all end up the same exact file as the first one and when it reaches the limit for the SECOND time (after writing over all of them as the oldest one) you get a grey screen of death a.k.a kernel panic screen.

For example I had a maximum of 60 version set to autosave every 2 minutes. Lets say for ease of thinking I started this at 12pm. By about 2pm I have 60 new versions or so. Now it starts overwriting my first file from about 12:02. Instead of overwriting it with my current project state, it overwrites itself with the same settings as the original first file. Then it overwrites each of the original 60 files one by one every 2 minutes with that exact same data. Once it reaches the 60th one and needs to write for the third time around... kernel panic.

This is still happening in CS6.

• 20. Re: Auto-Save did not work... Any way to back up my project?
                                                1johnricca Level 1

Could you share the directory for us? Was this Windows or Mac OS?

• 21. Re: Auto-Save did not work... Any way to back up my project?
                                                  1johnricca Level 1

Jeremy d, I have this exact problem still with CS6. Even with incessant saving this is a major issue that should easily be resolved by engineers if it were looked into harder. See my above post on how I have determined the problem is occurring. It most likely has to do with the method premiere is using to overwrite the old files. Rather than overwriting it should just continue writing new files and delete the old ones or move them into a temp flder that gets trashed on exit. Anything other than actually trying to overwrite files. Mac OS doesnt like files that have been in use recently to be tampered with and this could be the direct cause of the kernel panics. I have had 4 in the past 24 hours with my settings at every 2 minutes with a max of 60 files.

• 22. Re: Auto-Save did not work... Any way to back up my project?
                                                    latte62

I just had a similar problem.  I am not a newbee.  The autosave had the 5 versions and they were all the same. These versions had none of my work after 4 hours of editing.  I knew better than to think the feature would really work reliably. It has worked in the past, but I was skeptical.  I'm going to resort to my usualy method of saving after every few changes. That always works!

• 23. Re: Auto-Save did not work... Any way to back up my project?
                                                      AHAp Jonathan

I too just had the same problem. Lots of hours of work done, however no correct autosave. Maybe I have something new to bring to the table. The project was originally made on a computer where Premiere autosaves every 5 minutes with a maximum of 50 saves. It was then transferred to a computer with autosave every 20 minutes and a maximum of 5 saves. The autosaves that could be found where not from todays date, only older from last week. So, the autosaving going on had not replaced the files at all. So we tried making the new computer auto-save every 1 minutes with a maximum of 50 saves, and voila, auto-saved to a file with todays date.

However lots of work was lost, and we are different in that I actually trust 100% that a program can autosave. =) I've worked with FCP 6.0 for a long time, this program came out for six years ago. And then a brand new program like premiere cs6 struggles with autosaving projects correctly? That is just humorous.

• 24. Re: Auto-Save did not work... Any way to back up my project?
                                                        AHAp Jonathan Level 1

As johnricca said, please share the directory. We use Mac, I suppose that the folder you refer to is a PC-folder? If so, do you have any clue where the Mac-equivalent is at?

• 25. Re: Auto-Save did not work... Any way to back up my project?
                                                          BGPictures Level 1

• I also have auto-saves vanish or not get written with certain crashes

• I've gone from Avid to FCP to PrP over the past few decades. The Attic & Auto-save vault were very useful on Avid and FCP for crashes, corrupted files, or for just checking out the way something was days or weeks earlier.

• On PrP 6.0.2, Mac OS 10.8.2, auto-save seems to delete the most recent saves with certain crashes, rendering it useless and pointless. I'll check the temp folder next time to see if they are there (thanks markandrew2222).

• I set my auto-saves for every 5 minutes as an alarm clock, but when the dialogue pops up (in the middle of a drag and drop most likely) I cancel it and manually save or save a copy.

• 26. Re: Auto-Save did not work... Any way to back up my project?
                                                            markandrew2222 Level 1

I use PC, so the directory for me is C:\Users\mark\AppData\Local\Temp and then look for your date. As for Mac... I believe the temp folder is on the hard drive in the drive's root directory, also known as the main directory.

Also, for Mac and PC, this folder is usually hidden; so don't forget to you can't visibly see it. You have to go to Folder options,

under view, and show hidden files and folders (PC).

Hope it helps...

• 27. Re: Auto-Save did not work... Any way to back up my project?
                                                              andrewrobertfitts Level 1

Can anybody explain the difference between "Save As..." and "Save a copy..."?

• 28. Re: Auto-Save did not work... Any way to back up my project?
                                                                EdditT Level 1

Sorry to disagree.  I worked with AVID and it's autosave works perfectly and in the background.  NEVER an issue.

• 29. Re: Auto-Save did not work... Any way to back up my project?
                                                                  Kevin-Monahan Adobe Employee

Hi Eddit T,

Seems obvious, but a feature request from you would help. Appreciate you taking the time to do that.

Thank You,

Kevin