10 Replies Latest reply on Nov 4, 2010 4:35 PM by Steve Grisetti

PrE 9 Keeps Crashing when I add text

imsam67 Level 1

Hi,

In this video that I'm currently editing, I'm adding quite a few pieces of text to the video. But they're not even showing up at the same time. Typically one after annother.

So far PrE9 crashed at least 4-5 times.

I have a Windows 7 64 bit machine running on i7 CPU w/ 12 GB memory.

Am I the only one who's experiencing these crashes?

• 1. Re: PrE 9 Keeps Crashing when I add text
          the_wine_snob Level 9

Often, when PrE, or PrPro, crashes with Titler, bad fonts are the culprit.

This ARTICLE will give you some tips, if that is the issue.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 2. Re: PrE 9 Keeps Crashing when I add text
            Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

Also, ensure that your C drive is defragmented. A fragmented drive can keep the program from grabbing the chunks of space it needs to work with.

And, of course, make sure you're working in Timeline mode rather than Sceneline mode when you're working with titles. That way you will see the titles on upper tracks on your timeline and you can position, trim and manipulate them precisely.

And finally, remember to render your timeline (press Enter) whenever you see red lines above your clips on the timeline. This will keep the program running efficiently and ensure that the previews you're seeing on playback are true representations of your final output.

(If you're seeing red lines above every clip you add to your timeline, it could indicate that your project settings do not match your source video.)

• 3. Re: PrE 9 Keeps Crashing when I add text
              imsam67 Level 1

I'm losing all my faith in this program by the minute.

It's crashing left and right as I add text.

I'm using Century Gothic for crying out loud. Nothing fancy.

So far, I'm thinking -- based on the other simple things I can't do like adjusting the position of text using arrow keys -- PrE is complete garbage.

• 4. Re: PrE 9 Keeps Crashing when I add text
                nealeh Level 5

I'm not sure if you have seen the basic recommendations for PRE:

• Install all Windows Updates.

• Install latest version of Apple QuickTime (v7.6.8 at time of writing). Even if you don't use QuickTime, PRE relies heavily on it.

• Install most recent graphics and sound drivers from the manufacturers web sites.
                • Run Disk Cleanup.
                • Run Defragmenter.
                • Temporarily disable any anti-virus realtime scanning.
                • Use the GSpot Codec Information Utility to analyse the file and post screen image.
                • Post back here with the necessary information described here: Got a Problem? How to Get Started

This article may also be of interest: Clean, Lean & Mean Editing Machine - One Workflow

Cheers,
                --
                Neale
                Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your children

• 5. Re: PrE 9 Keeps Crashing when I add text
                  nealeh Level 5

Do you have McAfee Anti-Virus software installed? That has been a common factor in many posts concerning frequent crashing. Disabling it (or indeed any other anti-virus product) during PRE editing sessions is highly recommended.

Cheers,
                  --
                  Neale
                  Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your children

• 6. Re: PrE 9 Keeps Crashing when I add text

I don't know if you've tried another font yet -- but, as we said, a corrupt font can crack a program like Premiere Elements.

There may also be instabilities in your system. A lack of free, defragmented space on your hard drive, for instance, can also crack a very intensive program.

• 7. Re: PrE 9 Keeps Crashing when I add text
                      imsam67 Level 1

Yes, I've been through the basic steps. Not sure what file I need to analyze with Gspot. I'm editing a file I just recorded today on my Canon Vixia HF200. Everything works fine till I start adding text to my video.

I'm running a Win 7 64 bit running on i7 chip w/ 12 GB RAM. My computer is regularly defragged and I did disable MS Security Essentials during my edit session. My computer is running very comfortable so I'm not really pushing anything or running out of system resources.

It just keeps crashing. I'm really beginning to get completely ticked off with this program. It's supposed to be a productivity and creativity tool.

• 8. Re: PrE 9 Keeps Crashing when I add text

If I were you, I'd definitely consider an alternative program, Sam. You regularly report serious problems keeping this program running.

Have you looked at Sony's Vegas MovieStudio? It costs about the same and, though not quite is powerful, is noted for its stability.

• 9. Re: PrE 9 Keeps Crashing when I add text
                          imsam67 Level 1

Steve, looks like I'll be heading in some direction other than Adobe. That seems to be getting pretty clear.

I was thinking about getting the Corel's solution but if I can justify spending the extra dollars, getting a Mac with Final Cut Express. I spent 10 years as an exec at a tv production company. We had implemented Final Cut on our machines and it was a great solution.

• 10. Re: PrE 9 Keeps Crashing when I add text

I have a Mac running Final Cut Express and, though it's a bit more challenging to get comfortable with than Premiere Elements, it's a very powerful program!

Hope you find a solution. There's nothing worse than struggling with this technical stuff when you want to get to work on the creative work!