10 Replies Latest reply on Oct 20, 2010 11:45 AM by jeremy d.

Housekeeping Problems

Samb0123 Level 1

Hey All,

I am working on this Major Project with a group of 3 of us at tafe and we are doing a a Video and we have been working on the Same Footage ect... I currently am holding the Master File and have been working with that, The others have been working on other files. I have recently imported their Sequences into my master file and what it has done it had created duplicates of the RAW Footage in the Media Libarary if I delete this file from the Media Libarary it removes all the cutting they have done from the RAW footage is there anyway I can remove these duplicates and not get rid of their work. the less files we have the better as there are A LOT of files currently!

• 1. Re: Housekeeping Problems
          Jim_Simon Level 8

Short answer is no.  You're stuck with the dups.

• 2. Re: Housekeeping Problems
            Samb0123 Level 1

Long answer is to recut everything I'm assuming?

• 3. Re: Housekeeping Problems
              Stan Jones Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Are there any adobe resources for how to coordinate editing using PR?  I understand why PR brings in duplicates, but it is inconvenient for such purposes.

Just thinking...

Import satellite project into master.  Select all assets in the imported project.  Make offline.  Now immediately "link media," but point them to the master copies.  I selected only one file in the link media window, and, just like finding files when drive letters have changed, it linked all the files selected in the project bin.

If your folder and bin structure are simple, this might not be too bad.

• 4. Re: Housekeeping Problems
                Samb0123 Level 1

I don't understand why it brings in Duplicates I think it is rather stupid but then again I am only just starting haha. So the "satellite project" is being the project that my friend has so you suggesting I Re-Import everything and then Select Everything in Project and Make Offline How do I do this? also how do I link the media. The Raw footage is one bin down called RAW Camera Footage or something.

• 5. Re: Housekeeping Problems
                  jeremy d. Level 3

If you're importing their projects into yours, and they edited on other machines with duplicate clips, then you should find that when you import their projects, the Link/Locate dialog will open, asking for the media. Point it to your existing footage. You may then see duplicate clip references in Premiere, but actual duplicate material will not be created on your drive. We just don't do that.

This is true whether you import the projects or open them individually.

So -

- Your friends are editing on separate systems with identical footage

- Have them give you their project files, without the media

- Import or open their projects

- Point Premiere to your original media

Alternatively, you could use the Replace Footage functions.

• 6. Re: Housekeeping Problems
                    Jim_Simon Level 8
                    actual duplicate material will not be created on your drive

I read the original post as complaining about the duplicate clips in bins rather than as duplicate media on a drive.  Perhaps I read it wrong?

• 7. Re: Housekeeping Problems
                      jeremy d. Level 3

Could be me. I think Stan was working the same angle as well -- I'm assuming that OP is talking about extra files.

In the case of too may clip references in the project, that can get cluttered, sure. The clips in the sequences can be pointed to the original references in the project. It will take some time, though, depending on the size of the project.

JSS1138 wrote:

actual duplicate material will not be created on your drive

I read the original post as complaining about the duplicate clips in bins rather than as duplicate media on a drive.  Perhaps I read it wrong?

• 8. Re: Housekeeping Problems
                        Stan Jones Adobe Community Professional & MVP

If you're importing their projects into yours, and they edited on other machines with duplicate clips, then you should find that when you import their projects, the Link/Locate dialog will open, asking for the media. Point it to your existing footage.

I think the OP is concerned with the duplicates in the bins.  I hadn't thought about the fact that they are on separate machines and therefore he might have been asked to locate them.  But if they keep a consistent drive letter and folder structure he would not be asked.

As I think about it though, I'm not sure my "method" accomplishes anything.  There are still identical clips in multiple bins.

To the OP, I have assumed that adobe "had" to do it this way, because the "same" (on disk) file/clip in two projects can have different in/out points etc.  But, I'm not sure that is true.  I think it is possible to be asked to relate clips in an imported project to clips already in the current project.

OP: Perhaps a feature request is in order.  But I wouldn't hold my breath.  Software that supports multiusers is often multiples more expensive.

Alternatively, you could use the Replace Footage functions.

Hmm; I'd have to play with that...  But you'd still have duplciates in the bins, or can you replace footage to the timeline?  That would be laborious.  Edit: I see you were talking about sequences re this.

• 9. Re: Housekeeping Problems
                          Jim_Simon Level 8
                          There are still identical clips in multiple bins.

That is the part I don't believe can be easily avoided.

• 10. Re: Housekeeping Problems
                            jeremy d. Level 3

I was thinking that it might hurt less if you dragged the sequences up a level, or to the top, in the project panel, where you can see them, and leave the extra clip references in their bins. This is the out-of-sight-out-of-mind cheat -- emphasize cheat.